Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony Revievers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 04:30 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony Revievers

I have a sony card ad have like $300 worth of sony points. I was thinking of getting a nice receiver. I was wondering if any of you have any experiance with them (particularly Sony ES STR-DA1000ES or Sony ES STR-DA2000ES). I appreciate your input.
Old 04-04-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The ES receivers are the higher quality product from Sony. I have owned two of them and been very happy.
Old 04-04-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've also had 2 of them.

5 year warranty
Discrete amplifier

If you can afford it, go with the 3000ES for the component video upconversion.
Old 04-04-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 1000ES receiver, great receiver. I don't regret buying it at all.
Old 04-05-04, 02:35 PM

I have one of the older ES's and have had a great experience.
Old 04-05-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second the recomedation for the Sony 3000ES I have it and its awesome.
Old 04-05-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will say nothing here. $^)
Old 04-06-04, 01:39 AM
Cool New Member

drmoze, what are you holding back?

P.S. I thank you all for your input. It is much appreciated and it helps.
Old 04-06-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, since you asked... $^)

The above ES receivers are good units (unlike the lower-end Sony receivers). But if it were me, I'd spend the points on something else and get a receiver of comparable quality for a fair bit less. (Leaning to a Denon or Yamaha midrange receiver.)

But if the deal works for you, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-06-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had horrible customer service from Sony. I would strongly urge you not to buy an expensive item from them. If something goes wrong you will not be happy. Corporate customer service flat said they didn't care if they lost me as a customer.
Old 04-06-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Drmoze on this. Sony even in their ES line is not known for quality receivers and this sounds like you're getting it simply because of the Sony card and points. This is like going to the supermarket and buying a canned ham because you have a coupon and it's on sale this week but you would prefer to buy a fresh ham.
Old 04-07-04, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

You are right Chipmac, that is why i have considered the Sony recievers.i can get that reciver after the discount and all for like less than $200. But also, i asked you all the question to make sure. i am not TOTALY set on buying it. I wanted to get some other peoples input on them and see if the discount was worth it. The discount is great... but if the product is crappy, forget it. But i thank you for your comments.
Old 04-07-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by svadas
I've had horrible customer service from Sony. I would strongly urge you not to buy an expensive item from them. If something goes wrong you will not be happy. Corporate customer service flat said they didn't care if they lost me as a customer.
I actually have had the opposite. I had a part fail in a Sony receiver when it was out of warranty. I took it in to the authorized repair place and was qouted $85 (still better than a new receiver). However, I found that when I came to pick it up, Sony had authorized the repair on their dime because they felt the part should not have failed considering I barely pushed the thing.
Old 04-07-04, 05:23 PM
Cool New Member

I should have mentioned this before but, i live in an apartment and this is my first home theater system that I am building. I know the above mentioned reciever is probably over kill, but I want something that i can grow with. Yes i am looking at sony's coz of the discount i can get. i figured that way i can put more $$ into the speakers.
Old 04-07-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by shumba411
I should have mentioned this before but, i live in an apartment and this is my first home theater system that I am building. I know the above mentioned reciever is probably over kill, but I want something that i can grow with. Yes i am looking at sony's coz of the discount i can get. i figured that way i can put more $$ into the speakers.
I will give you the same advice I give everyone else.

Choose your speakers first before buying a receiver.
Old 04-12-04, 11:28 AM

Speakers then Receiver

I have to concur with that recommendation.

I purchased the new Bose Acoustimass 15 speaker system. That's when I realized my over 10 year Sony receiver wasn't up to the task.

I then purchased the H/K AVR 330 to drive this system with additional power and proper separation in the channels.

WOW! what a difference that receiver made.

I have had H/K stuff before and can attest to their quality build and sound. Onkyo was the runner up in these hunt.

Feedback . . . what do you guys think?

My room is 14x21'
Old 04-12-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think for the price you are telling us ($200 or so) this is a good deal. I am not a huge Sony fan although the ES line is pretty good.

What budget do you have for your speakers?

By the way I would stay far away from any Bose speakers
Old 04-12-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard people knock the Sony receivers, but everybody I know (off the internet) who has one has been happy with it.

Price is what scares me away from most Sony stuff (since I think you can usually get better bang for the buck), but at the price you're quoting, it sounds like a good deal.
Old 04-12-04, 05:24 PM
Cool New Member

The price i am quoting is what I would end up paying after i redeem my points from my sony card. The speakers are where I am not too sure about. I was thinking about going with bose speakers. So i guess about $600 (the Acoustimass 6 home entertainment speaker system). My interest in the bose is coz they are one package and sound great. I don't have an actual "theater" like some.. just an apt livingroom.

But back to topic yeah.. i appreciate all your insite guys. I would agree that had it not been for my points, i would definatly be going for h/k or something else. But since sony wants to help me pay for them :-P, what the heck!
Old 04-12-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are for certain going with the Bose system, and you can get the Sony receiver cheap, then do it. It won't make any difference if you go Denon or Pioneer Elite or any other higher end receiver. Keep in mind that any home theater system will sound better than none at all.
Old 04-12-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The price i am quoting is what I would end up paying after i redeem my points from my sony card. The speakers are where I am not too sure about. I was thinking about going with bose speakers. So i guess about $600 (the Acoustimass 6 home entertainment speaker system). My interest in the bose is coz they are one package and sound great. I don't have an actual "theater" like some.. just an apt livingroom.

But back to topic yeah.. i appreciate all your insite guys. I would agree that had it not been for my points, i would definatly be going for h/k or something else. But since sony wants to help me pay for them :-P, what the heck!
http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...8&catky=643993

This will sound better than the Bose system.

You can also find good package systems with a far better sound for around $600.