Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Turntable recommendations?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-03-04, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I'm not sure which forum I should put this in but I was looking to purchase a reliable turntable that I could use to make backups of some of my vinyl. Anyone have any recommendations??
Old 04-04-04, 06:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone in Other Talk have any recommendations?
Old 04-04-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Grab a Denon or a Technics.
Old 04-04-04, 09:09 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Try a MusicHall. They are very good and are available online at
amusicdirect.com and needledoctor.com
Old 04-04-04, 10:59 AM
Banned

Oh....one other thing: Not really looking to spend $500 on one...I'd say max $100. Don't need to use it THAT much.

Thanks Benedict for the move.
Old 04-04-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bhk
I've heard good things about these tables.
I was going to recommend a Rega P2 or P3 until I saw your budget. The cartrige I'd recommend to you is more than twice your budget.
Old 04-04-04, 11:34 PM

just go to your local best buy, mine has a sony and another brand for around 100 bucks. you probably won't find anything much better for that kind of money, i think.
Old 04-05-04, 11:03 AM

Check your local pawn shops. I see turntables in our pawnshops all the time..............
Old 04-05-04, 03:32 PM
Banned

I got the $100 Sony one from Best Buy and it works great but I've been trying to find a replacement needle for it for over a year now.
Old 04-05-04, 03:37 PM

Chalk another one up for the Sony. I bought it for about $80 on eBay a couple of years ago. Its been good to me.
Old 04-06-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally posted by whaaat
I've heard good things about these tables.
I was going to recommend a Rega P2 or P3 until I saw your budget. The cartrige I'd recommend to you is more than twice your budget.
I have a Rega. GREATEST turntable for the money EVER!!!

Oh, sure a Linn is nice and a VPI is hard to beat. But the pure simplicity and cost of a Rega is unbelievable. Awesome unit.
Old 04-06-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Been so long since I looked at the Rega site, thought I'd give it a look. I'm not sure I like the colors on the newer P3's (when I bought mine, black was only available). But doesn't look like the overall design has changed much.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p3.htm
Old 04-07-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nova
I got the $100 Sony one from Best Buy and it works great but I've been trying to find a replacement needle for it for over a year now.
They are only available through Sony. They cost $56 each. Go here to buy one:
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web...rchText=LX250H

How long have you had the turntable? Unless you've been DJ scratching it or pulling it apart with tweasers, the stylus should last a very long time. Assuming it's been kept clean, anyways.
Old 04-07-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Oh....one other thing: Not really looking to spend $500 on one...I'd say max $100. Don't need to use it THAT much.
The Sony PS-LX250H is going to be your best bet in that price range. If you wanted to bump the price up to $200 you could find a Technics table, but aside from slight build differences there's not going to be much of a difference.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...X250H&Dept=hav

If your receiver doesn't have an actual 'PHONO' (for phonograph) input, you'd need a turntable that has a built in pre-amp (unless you want to spend another $150 on a decent pre-amp. (Yeah, I know you can buy a pre-amp for about $25, notice I said decent )
The aforementioned Sony has a good pre-amp built in, so it will integrate with a modern receiver just like any other component. Also be warned that an inexpensive belt drive turntable may have time issues, meaning that 33 1/3 rpm is actually 31 or 36 rpm. There are speed adjusters on the bottom of it to calibrate it. You probably won't have to though, mine didn't.

I've got a TDK CD recorder deck I use to copy vinyl, and it sounds very good. You can make quality recordings, and actually capture some of the warmth of the vinyl that is lacking on a CD with it.

I'd caution anyone about buying a turntable from a pawn shop unless they know what they are doing. There's a reason the table is there, and it's not always because the owner upgraded or sold his vinyl collection. That perfect steal of a bargain may end up costing twice the price in parts.
Old 04-07-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
If your receiver doesn't have an actual 'PHONO' (for phonograph) input, you'd need a turntable that has a built in pre-amp (unless you want to spend another $150 on a decent pre-amp. (Yeah, I know you can buy a pre-amp for about $25, notice I said decent )
The aforementioned Sony has a good pre-amp built in, so it will integrate with a modern receiver just like any other component.
Actually, the Sony player says in the manual that if it isn't plugged into a PHONO input on the receiver, the sound will be very low. I just got a new Onkyo receiver with no PHONO inputs, plugged the Sony into the Tape input instead, and had to max the volume to listen to it at an acceptable level. So I decided to keep my turntable with my older receiver in another room, which has the phono input and it plays at a good volume.
Old 04-07-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
Actually, the Sony player says in the manual that if it isn't plugged into a PHONO input on the receiver, the sound will be very low. I just got a new Onkyo receiver with no PHONO inputs, plugged the Sony into the Tape input instead, and had to max the volume to listen to it at an acceptable level. So I decided to keep my turntable with my older receiver in another room, which has the phono input and it plays at a good volume.
I don't know which of the 2 Sony tables you have, but the one I linked to I personally own and it does have a pre-amp on board. There's an on/off switch for it under the platter. The webpage I linked to shows it as a feature as well. Maybe you have the LX350H which doesn't list a pre-amp as an option.

What you experienced with the low volume is definitely what happens when there's no pre-amp involved. If you've got the LX250H take the platter off, turn the pre-amp on and it will sound properly loud through the Onkyo.
Old 04-15-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bhk
Bump because I saw a Music Hall TT for sale on an audiophile website I visit here for $125. (Insert standard I don't know the seller disclaimer here)
Don't know if you've already picked one up, but this is around your price range and will give you more bang for your buck than a Sony from Best Buy or FutureShop.