Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Just bought my first FOX STUDIO CLASSICS DVD and am extremely surprised!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently purchased The Day the Earth Stood Still - Studio Classics and am extremely pleased with the presentation.
Great picture and sound, commentary track, extensive making of feature, other extra goodies and insert.
What makes this so great is that I bought it for $8.99!!

I always thought Warner's 2-disc SEs were the best presentation of classic films but the price/quality ratio of Fox's studio classics can't be beat!

Any other Fox Studio Classics I consider?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
consider all......
Old 04-03-04, 03:47 PM

Re: Just bought my first FOX STUDIO CLASSICS DVD and am extremely surprised!

Originally posted by smirnoffski
Any other Fox Studio Classics I consider?

Thanks!
We reviewed a batch of seven last year and are planning to start up "Fox Fridays" again soon - http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdrevie...sicfridays.htm

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, GRAPES OF WRATH, and OX-BOW INCIDENT are thus far my favourites in the series, both disc- and filmwise--with the exception of SUNRISE, which I'm not sure is available for retail yet. The price is right, so I think it's fairly safe to gamble on titles you may not be familiar with, though avoid LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING, if you ask me.

Bill C
filmfreakcentral.net
Old 04-03-04, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Be sure to pick up the "Best Picture Collection" which is a 4-disc set (available at Amazon.com for about $7 a disc) that contains the first three spine numbers (All About Eve, Gentleman's Agreement, and How Green Was My Valley) and all includes the special edition of Sunrise, unavailable elsewhere.

There are 17 Studio Classics releases so far - and they're released one per month. This month's is "The Grapes of Wrath" and is a great disc.

I'd also recommend My Darling Clementine, An Affair to Remember, and The Mark of Zorro (1940).

I started collecting them last month and have only four left to go. After I get the complete set I'll definitely pick up each of these as they're released. You can't beat it for only $10 a month.
Old 04-04-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely get the Best Picture series recommended above. All the movies in this set are great. I personally really enjoyed the Ox Bow Incident and My Darling Clementine. An Affair to Remember was too saccharine for my taste even though I'm a very big Cary Grant fan. Titanic was passable but not great although there is a fairly good feature length documentary included. I haven't gotten to the rest of them yet.
Old 04-04-04, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow where can you find Day Earth Stood Still for $9? I have only seen it at $14.99 at Best Buy & Borders & Target!
Old 04-04-04, 02:36 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
North American DVD has it for $8.99 now, although it's closer to $11 with shipping to the US.

DeepDiscountDVD.com has the majority of these titles for only $9.99 (including shipping). You can't beat it.
Old 04-04-04, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Wow where can you find Day Earth Stood Still for $9? I have only seen it at $14.99 at Best Buy & Borders & Target!
The local Fry's had it on sale for $8.99 down from their regular price of $9.99.
Actually, all their Fox Studio Classics are $9.99.

www.outpost.com is their website which sell for similar prices as the B&M store.

And thanks for the insightful replies folks, I will now DEFINATELY be picking up more of these!
Old 04-04-04, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool,well I will have to take advanage of the prices then. Plenty of places still list them at $14.99 retail with hardly any discounts..at least not less than $10 I have seen.
Old 04-04-04, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Outpost.com's shipping rates are horrible, though. Expect to pay $2.50 a disc.

Whereas DeepDiscountDVD.com is $9.99 and free shipping.

Sometimes Amazon.com or Amazon.ca has good prices on the FSC discs, too.
Old 04-05-04, 01:49 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Just bought my first FOX STUDIO CLASSICS DVD and am extremely surprised!

Originally posted by smirnoffski
I always thought Warner's 2-disc SEs were the best presentation of classic films but the price/quality ratio of Fox's studio classics can't be beat!
No kidding. They are the best value in the DVD world right now.

Do whatever you have to do to get Sunrise. I think it's the best silent film ever made, and one of the four or five best films, period. But most of the films in the series are worth owning - I'll single out All About Ever and My Darling Clementine as (possibly) the cream of the crop (along with Sunrise, of course).
Old 04-05-04, 02:18 PM
Suspended

I just bought all of them in the past month completely blind after buying the Best Picture boxed set and loving each of the four discs (including Sunrise - WOW) included in it.

I haven't regretted a single one of them. Even the not-so-classic films are given a spectacular treatment, and are essential viewings.

I'm looking at the Fox Studio Classic line as a "Classic Film of the Month Club" type of thing, and for $10 a month, you'd be hard pressed to find a better presentation of these films with some great extras for a budget price.

I mean, this is Criterion quality for Walmart bargain bin pricing.
Old 04-05-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"The Ghost and Mrs Muir" is another great one

Might as well get them all if you like classic movies
Old 04-10-04, 12:09 AM

Looking forward to "The Snake Pit" in June - won't have much in the way of extras, but Leo Tover's black and white cinematography in this one is amazing as I remember it. Olivia DeHavilland is great, too.

I also hope the rumored Fox Noir Classics will be as nicely done (and as nicely priced!).
Old 04-12-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I picked up four of the 3-packs (with Sunrise) from Costco last month, each for $25, and have on order: "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," "The Grapes of Wrath," and "Peyton Place." I already had "The Day The Earth Stood Still". I think I the only one I don't have is "The Diary of Anne Frank".
Old 04-12-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely a great series of DVDs - even more appealing now that the MSRP has been reduced and you can find them for around $10 each!
Old 04-12-04, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Patman
I picked up four of the 3-packs (with Sunrise) from Costco last month, each for $25, and have on order: "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," "The Grapes of Wrath," and "Peyton Place." I already had "The Day The Earth Stood Still". I think I the only one I don't have is "The Diary of Anne Frank".
I have been searching far and wide for that pack at the Costcos around here. If possible, next time you go to Costco, could you please pick one up for me if they have any left? I will manage the expenses.
Old 04-13-04, 12:37 AM
Suspended

smirnoffski: you can get the "Best Picture Collection" 4-pack (the Costco ones are technically 4-packs too, since they contain four discs, including Sunrise) from Amazon.com for around $30 - not a bad haul if you don't have any of them.

It's worth it for Sunrise alone.
Old 04-15-04, 02:35 PM

I watched The Inn of the Sixth Happiness last night. The movie was just ok, although I did mostly enjoy it. The picture quality was nice and the colors were very vibrant. The material was treated with respect, but the movie just didn't grab me. Robert Donat as the Mandarin was pretty humorous, though. The film is pretty long so the only real extra is a commentary track which I didn't listen too.
Old 04-15-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chente
I watched The Inn of the Sixth Happiness last night. The movie was just ok...
...well, it's a bit better than that, I think...

. . . . . .
Old 04-15-04, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...well, it's a bit better than that, I think...

. . . . . .
I wouldn't say it is a "very good" movie but I'm not a film critic. I'd personally give it a 2/4 rating.
Old 04-16-04, 04:06 AM

We've resumed 'Fox Fridays' and the upcoming DESK SET is our inaugural review, if anyone's interested - http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdrevie...ridays.htm#set

Bill C
Old 04-16-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My local Costco doesn't have any of these 4-packs anymore as they have sold all their allotment of them (or sent them back).