Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Americana (pilot)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Americana (pilot)

Came back from the pilot of Alyson Hannigan's new show Americana - Home & Hardware.

Brief synopsis of the show (I don't think I'm giving away anything more than what will be marketed):
Alyson plays Andrea. She works for Americana, an upscale Pier One Imports type store. They deal with bringing back americana (materials relating to American history, folklore, or geography or considered to be typical of American culture) and making it new and hip for today's Ikea trendy world. Into her life walks her estranged brother Ben, played by Michael Landes. Hilarity ensues.

I liked the pilot but I'm not sure if it will play out into a series. David Schwimmer directed this tho I didn't see much directing going on. Of course most of it was probably done during rehearsals. As I watched the show it reminded me of past NBC shows. I kept thinking Suddenly Susan meets NewsRadio. And it seems Alyson will forever be typecast as Michelle from American Pie. I know that's her hook, her image, but I'd like to see her stretch her abilities.

Landes, former Jimmy Olsen from Lois and Clark, was cast recently as the person originally set to play Ben, Eric Christian Olsen from Dumb and Dumberer, didn't fit right. I'm glad that happened because Landes really hit his spots and delivered lines well. His timing was excellent.

Now I've already compared the show to other shows... but I have to compare the characters of Andrea and Ben. They should be called Willow and Xander. They have that type of relationship and chemistry.

The writing is ok. It's only a pilot and they tried to introduce a lot of storylines into a 30 min show. Either way, it's typical NBC type comedy. Not sure where this would like to end up with Friends & Frasier opening up time slots.

Oh yeah.. and Alyson
Old 04-21-04, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was flipping around the channels during the commercial break for "Angel" and found this pilot playing on a channel the local cable provider (Charter) usually uses to play commericals for local businesses.

I only saw the last 8 minutes, so I didn't really get a feel for the show. I just found it odd that I found this on TV at all. But from what I did see, the "Suddenly Susan meets Newsradio" summation seems right.

And yes, Alyson Hannigan looked great.