Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Horror movie remakes - can we stop now?.....Please?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, I mean I'm not off base too far with this one am I? I heard the Dawn of the Dead remake doesn't hold a candle to the original (by the way "doesn't hold a candle to the original" seems like the catch phrase of the year all over again, that's all I hear from people who have seen this movie).

You always get the same feeling when seeing a remake: "why did they do that? why not stick to the original details at least? who the heck is that character? what were they thinking?!?!?

I'm not even asking for an exact replica - but new fresh ideas based solely on the originals would be a much better way to go don't you think?

By the way, I haven't seen the new TCM or Dawn of the Dead - I'm going by what friends have told me and they too are huge horror fans - especially of the originals and it does confuse me a bit as to how they didn't even at least like the remakes.
Old 04-02-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, you should probably see the movies yourself before forming opinions about them.

With TCM, your comments are right. It attempted to capture the effect of the original, but it failed. What it was, in turn, was nothing but one horror cliche after another, with no redeeming qualities to allow it to stand on its own. Add to that the dark, depressing tones of the film, and you get one hell of a crappy movie.

But then there's Dawn of the Dead. This movie didn't just try to re-create everything that made the original so good; it used the basic premise, took it in a new direction and ran with it. This movie was just downright fun. There's really no other way to describe it - it was a near perfect horror movie. I will even go so far as to say not only is it better than the original, but it's probably the most entertaining zombie movie I've ever seen.
Old 04-02-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really

I can tell you right now that I will not like the new Dawn of the Dead as much as the original and I will be more than fair while judging the remake.
Old 04-02-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Not really

Originally posted by Rival11
I can tell you right now that I will not like the new Dawn of the Dead as much as the original and I will be more than fair while judging the remake.
Contradict yourself much... if you've already decided you're "Not going to like it as much", how the hell can you be fair!!!!! DAWN remake is an excellent movie, tons of style and all in all superior to the original.

TCM remake wasn't as good as the original, but I respect that they tried to do something a bit different with it... as far as "Stopping" all the horror remakes, with the big bank they're making, I don't think they're going to stop anytime soon....

and please, see the films before you go about bashing them...really.

MATT
Old 04-02-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Not really

No one is expecting you to like the old one less than the new one. But before you start to bash you should atleast give it a shot.

I was totally opposed to the idea. Look at me now, I rather enjoyed it for what it was. My advice for you is to take the stick out of there and place it on a nice cushoned theater seat for a showing of dawn of the dead. You will thank me later. Why? Because if you hate it atleast you have something to stand behind you. If you like it, then that would be reason enough.
Old 04-02-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really again

I'm not saying it's going to suck and be the worst ever - I may even end up liking it a lot for what it is.

I'm simply comparing new to old and what I would like to see in a horror movie remake and how I pre-judge a REMAKE before seeing it based on what others LIKE me are into and the information they have given me, it's not just a "I saw it and it sucked so you shouldn't go see it" attitude.

And no, It doesn't make me a follower if I listen to what people tell me before seeing it for myself - I can't remeber how many times I've had a talk with a group of people about a certain movie and then walked out of theater saying "yep, they were right".

Input goes a long way.
Old 04-02-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You've never liked a movie that your friends didn't?
Old 04-02-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
You've never liked a movie that your friends didn't?
Did I say that? No, I didn't - did you read what I wrote? No you didn't.
Old 04-02-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's nothing wrong with using other people's opinions to help decide which movie you do or don't see - that's the whole basis for sites like Rotten Tomatoes. I think we all give validity to the reviews we read, at least to some extent (unless it's Harry Knowles)

I think the problem in your case is the conviction of your opinion, when you haven't even seen the movies yet. For instance, starting a thread ranting about how all the crappy horror remakes need to stop being made sort of crosses the line. You really do need to see a movie before you have such a strong opinion about it.
Old 04-02-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did I say that? No, I didn't - did you read what I wrote? No you didn't.
He's implying that your friends may be wrong in this case, I think.

Horror remakes are fine with me. This comes from a person who holds very few horror movies close to his heart, though.

I haven't seen the original Dawn of the Dead, but I liked the remake well enough. And, while this may be considered heresy, I actually liked the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre more than the original.
Old 04-02-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by caiman
There's nothing wrong with using other people's opinions to help decide which movie you do or don't see - that's the whole basis for sites like Rotten Tomatoes. I think we all give validity to the reviews we read, at least to some extent (unless it's Harry Knowles)

I think the problem in your case is the conviction of your opinion, when you haven't even seen the movies yet. For instance, starting a thread ranting about how all the crappy horror remakes need to stop being made sort of crosses the line. You really do need to see a movie before you have such a strong opinion about it.
No - I guess this is just where you and I differ on remakes. I respect your view though.
Old 04-02-04, 08:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
but it seems like Hollywood is not even trying to come up with new ideas - leave it the Asian market to come up with films like Ju-oh, The Eye and others. Even the Brits have made some decent films that haven't yet been seen by us Americans - My Little Eye and The Bunker come to mind.
Old 04-02-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
but it seems like Hollywood is not even trying to come up with new ideas - leave it the Asian market to come up with films like Ju-oh, The Eye and others. Even the Brits have made some decent films that haven't yet been seen by us Americans - My Little Eye and The Bunker come to mind.
I haven't heard of Ju-oh, My little eye, or the Bunker, but I have seen The Eye and I loved it - there was some very original horror film directing going on in that film that I have never seen before and some of the shots freaked me out big time - but with all that said, the movie does get a little stale after the half way point - but still a great film.

I agree totally, the recent run of American horror films are pretty bad there is a lot of sturggling going on.
Old 04-02-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well Ju-on: the grudge is getting the remake treatment in calling it "the grudge". It even has sarah michelle geller starring in it.

You know, I'm fine with letting the other countries handle horror. Ju-on scared the crap out of me watching it in the dark. I loved it. something that U.S. horror hasn't done in years.
Old 04-02-04, 09:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
... but I have seen The Eye and I loved it - there was some very original horror film directing going on in that film that I have never seen before and some of the shots freaked me out big time -
Spoiler:
the levitating ghost in the elevator really creeped me out - wow!
Old 04-02-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
Spoiler:
the levitating ghost in the elevator really creeped me out - wow!
Spoiler:
my favorite was when she was in that room and the ghost ran at her and said get of my chair!!! freaked me the hell out man
Old 04-02-04, 09:36 PM
Banned

I really dug the TCM remake...cause well it doesnt bug me since basically TCM has sorta been remade 2 times before and this was better...but the DOTD remake...well I just refuse to see it...something about remaking that just pisses me off!
Old 04-02-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree totally, the recent run of American horror films are pretty bad there is a lot of sturggling going on.
Was there every a string of good horror films in any time period?
Old 04-02-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would say no. I wasn't a fan of the Jasons, freddy's and all the rest of the cheap 80's horror. Perhaps it's nostalgia that is really getting folks.
Old 04-02-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speaking of horror remakes, you can look forward to a Tom Cruise produced remake of The Eye in the future.

And regarding DotD remake: zombies don't run! Even Michael Jackson knows this.
(Yes I saw 28 Days Later, but those aren't zombies! They are some kind of rabid mutant freaks who aren't really "dead".
No I never did like Return Of The Living Dead either because the running zombies bothered me.)

Have to check out Ju-On soon! The Eye and Ringu are the best horror films in the past 10 years.
Old 04-02-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ju-on is great. made me go

Add darkwater to the list. it may not have the same level of scares, but it does have a good ending.

as for the zombies. The thing is, today's audiance would not care for shambling zombies. I love them to death, but the average movie goer now a days would totally not dig it. you have to raise it up a level I suppose.
Old 04-03-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Corvin
Was there every a string of good horror films in any time period?
- Um, you definitely have a point there.
Old 04-03-04, 03:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't believe everyone is bashing Hollywood for not being original and then praising The Eye, which felt to me like a very explicit rip of The Sixth Sense.

As for Dark Water, I didn't find it nearly as scary as The Ring (same director), but the
Spoiler:
Part where the little girl is sitting in front of the elevator and the water just spills all over her Shining-style
was a fanastic sequence.

For fans of Japanese horror, I would suggest Kiyoshi Kurosawa (no relation to Akira Kurosawa). Check out Cure and Kairo.
Old 04-03-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I can't believe everyone is bashing Hollywood for not being original and then praising The Eye, which felt to me like a very explicit rip of The Sixth Sense.
Old 04-03-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
This may sound weird but I'm all for remakes of horror movies...

because (hopefully) in many cases, people will check out the original and that's always a good thing, IMO. Regardless how the remake turns out, some might enjoy finding a gem of an older movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.