Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of '.hack//SIGN - Terminus (Vol. 6)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of .hack//SIGN - Terminus (Vol. 6) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10130 and I'm interested in finding out your thoughts on the ending.

Spoiler:
I thought it was bizarre and confusing. Helba abandoned that field - but what did this achieve, exactly? It happened so suddenly, and with so little followup! And although I can buy that Tsukasa finally managed to log out after the events of the final episode, the scene directly after his real-world meeting with Subaru seemed to suggest that the two of them were in a "dream world" controlled by Morganna, and had been for the entire final episode. Is that the case? Or was the shot of them in the blue room with the hexagons on the wall just meant to be symbolic? Is it deliberately open to interpretation?

I know that the plot of the series continues on into the plot of the PS2 games (which I haven't played), but while I expect that sheds more light on what happens regarding Morganna, Aura and Sora, I can't see the issues surrounding Tsukasa being explained any further. Maybe someone who's familiar with the series can shed some light on this (without spoiling the games if possible please)?

I haven't written it off as a "bad ending" just because I had issues with it (as I often see anime fans do), but it left me saying, "What the hell just happened?" Maybe I missed something that made it all really obvious? ^^;

EDITED to add (minor spoiler for other parts of the .hack story, regarding Tsukasa's state):

Spoiler:
I did some searching online, and apparently it's confirmed elsewhere (including episode 28, which comes with the limited edition DVD) that Tsukasa really did leave The World, and is not in some kind of Matrix-style simulation. With that ambiguity cleared up, I'm moving towards liking the ending - but I'm now hesitating on whether it's worth buying a PS2 just for the .hack games ^^;

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 04-02-04 at 04:39 PM.