Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith Fanboy Lameness

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-02-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From "the official news source for Kevin Smith":

We're happy to announce that Jersey Girl word of mouth seems to be doing well, as the film crossed the 10 million mark in box office this week, AND it's just been announced that the film will EXPAND to a total of 1,821 screens this weekend (up 301 from last weekend). We know a lot of you wanna see Hellboy...Hell, so do we...But before (or after) ya do, go see JERSEY GIRL again! And keep telling folks what a good flick it is. It's definitely a better movie to bring a chick to than Hellboy, fellas. Or hey, you didn't hear this from us...But maybe you wanna buy a Jersey Girl ticket then just go sneak into Hellboy anyway? We won't tell. And we're sure the big shaved horn dude doesn't need your $10 as much as we do.

How lame is it that Kevin Smith's news site has this kind of garbage on it? Is he affiliated with the site in anyway? I can't believe how pathetic these guys are being. If the movie's tanking then using the methods suggested isn't really going to help matters.
Old 04-02-04, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Kevin Smith Fanboy Lameness

Originally posted by Nosebleed
From "the official news source for Kevin Smith":

We're happy to announce that Jersey Girl word of mouth seems to be doing well, as the film crossed the 10 million mark in box office this week, AND it's just been announced that the film will EXPAND to a total of 1,821 screens this weekend (up 301 from last weekend). We know a lot of you wanna see Hellboy...Hell, so do we...But before (or after) ya do, go see JERSEY GIRL again! And keep telling folks what a good flick it is. It's definitely a better movie to bring a chick to than Hellboy, fellas. Or hey, you didn't hear this from us...But maybe you wanna buy a Jersey Girl ticket then just go sneak into Hellboy anyway? We won't tell. And we're sure the big shaved horn dude doesn't need your $10 as much as we do.

How lame is it that Kevin Smith's news site has this kind of garbage on it? Is he affiliated with the site in anyway? I can't believe how pathetic these guys are being. If the movie's tanking then using the methods suggested isn't really going to help matters.
The title of this thread should be "Internet Sarcasm 101." It's obvious he is making a joke. I dont know if Kevin himself wrote this, but as far as sites go he is pretty active at Viewaskew. For all you know Scott Mosier wrote that. Relax have a glass of water and remember,...no one has the right to touch you in your bathing suit area.
Old 04-02-04, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's definitely a better movie to bring a chick to than Hellboy, fellas
Step 1 would be getting a typical K. Smith fanboy to actually get a chick, let alone have her go somewhere with them.. AM I RITE?
Old 04-02-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Step 1 would be getting a typical K. Smith fanboy to actually get a chick, let alone have her go somewhere with them.. AM I RITE?
You are correct sir.
Old 04-02-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-02-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think Kevin Smith wrote that. There are no poop or fart jokes.
Old 04-02-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I am a Kevin Smith fanboy and I have hooked up with a many chicks in my time. I'm offended and now I'm going to leave the forum.

Old 04-02-04, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K. Smith fanboys are so lame ....
Old 04-02-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Kevin Smith Fanboy Lameness

Originally posted by zero
The title of this thread should be "Internet Sarcasm 101." It's obvious he is making a joke. I dont know if Kevin himself wrote this, but as far as sites go he is pretty active at Viewaskew. For all you know Scott Mosier wrote that. Relax have a glass of water and remember,...no one has the right to touch you in your bathing suit area.

Well, there are ways to defend this, but I would hardly call this a "sarcastic joke" on the end of the Viewaskew people. I think they count on a certain hardcore sicophantic fan element who probably would just buy a JG ticket and sneak into Hellboy. There is nothing take from that to suggest he meant it in a tongue in cheek manner. It's easy to use that as an afterthought defense, but it rings transparent to me.

After last weeks pathetic pandering not to trash the film, I have no doubt this is an entirely sincere request. If you want to argue all is fair in love and war, that'd be one thing. But in the absence of a caveat to this "joke", the sarcasm runs low.

As for the site, Smith gets credit when things go well and he takes the blame when it goes bad. Kind of the peril of marketing your mug on a website. But for the record, this sounds like textbook K. Smith.
Old 04-02-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to take my cousin to Kevin Smith movies and tell her to give me googly eyes during the romantic parts. I'm so smooth.
Old 04-02-04, 11:00 AM

Didn't Smith offer to reimburse anyone who didn't enjoy Jersey Girl?

Think anyone has asked?
Old 04-02-04, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by mmconhea
Old 04-02-04, 11:06 AM

Isn't this almost exactly like the one that LOTR fans were sending around the net a couple of months ago.
Old 04-02-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, who cares really...

The fact that this thread exists makes me want to see Jersey Girl 2 announced, thus signalling the end of the world.
Old 04-02-04, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mmconhea
I'd say that post sounds just like Smith. It's unfunny, stupid, and shows that he has no balls...just like the script for Jersey Girl
Old 04-03-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Jersey Girl was great.

and I think that post was funny as well.

and I think it would be great if more directors had the same kind of fondness for his fans as he does. makes him tangible and normal in a hollywood world filled with superhero stars and directors.

and I would not consider myself a fanboy. I enjoy his work.
Old 04-03-04, 01:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by db27
it would be great if more directors had the same kind of fondness for his fans as he does.
And the same disregard for other people's work.
Old 04-03-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I don't feel like I know about that enough to respond. thank you.
Old 04-03-04, 01:55 PM
Banned by request

I don't feel like I know about that enough to respond. thank you.
I'm just talking simply about that above quote, where the author compels people to buy a ticket for Jersey Girl and then sneak in to Hellboy, because Jersey Girl needs the money more than Hellboy does.
Old 04-03-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just talking simply about that above quote, where the author compels people to buy a ticket for Jersey Girl and then sneak in to Hellboy, because Jersey Girl needs the money more than Hellboy does.
fair enough, but I don't think he was serious. Although he might be.
Old 04-03-04, 02:04 PM
Banned by request

fair enough, but I don't think he was serious. Although he might be.
Even if he was joking, I find it odd that Kevin Smith, who is such a comic fan, would joke about taking money away from a comic book film made by a team who actually cared about the comic. It may have had a big budget, but it wasn't done like any typical Hollywood comic book cash-in.
Old 04-03-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if he was joking, I find it odd that Kevin Smith, who is such a comic fan, would joke about taking money away from a comic book film made by a team who actually cared about the comic. It may have had a big budget, but it wasn't done like any typical Hollywood comic book cash-in.
solid point hadn't thought about it that way.
Old 04-03-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Smith's pretty simple-minded when it comes to box office returns...

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
But for the record, this sounds like textbook K. Smith.

Originally posted by Pants
I'd say that post sounds just like Smith. It's unfunny, stupid, and shows that he has no balls...
"Get ready to polish your hobbit..."

I think all of us PTA fans still remember the shock of hearing this master director knock Magnolia....

Yeah, right? Buy our ticket and sneak into any film you want? That's pretty disgraceful for a former-indie, Hollywood-wannabe director, imo.

I've seen all of his films except Jersey Girl, and it seems more and more that he's infatuated with how much money his films are going to make. I remember when they reported that audience feedback for Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was through the roof, and they expected huge box office returns.... uh-huh. If Jersey Girl made 200+ million, I would bet his next five films would no doubt be along the same lines, which seems pretty bogus for the 'auteur' of the Jersey Trilogy, or whatever.

The truth is he's out to make a blockbuster, but he knows the Silent Bob character isn't going to help. He devices Jersey Girl with his trusty star, except it doesn't open as huge as Passion or the new Adam Sandler film. So when he goes begging for better results from his fans, which won't amount to much, how can we be surprised? Does anyone know how much Jersey Girl cost to make? I'm guessing 40mil, which he may just clear in the end. However, expanding to 1800+ theaters is nothing. That is why he's pandering like this on his website.

(I'm surprised no other director is calling Smith out on this web post, but most directors are civil enough, I guess.... Remember when he fought with DeVito over his banner, saying he wasn't Jersey enough?)
Old 04-03-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

out to make a blockbuster?

yeah right!!! he predicted that his film would roll out 5th for the weekend and had only hoped that it would hold up for a few weeks.

he can't make a blockbuster, he knows that. nor do I think he wants to.

of course however he would like his film to do well, who wouldn't? and the bottom line is always going to be money, cuz if you don't profit than you can't continue to do what you love.
Old 04-03-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I dunno, I'm sure he never expected that bad of a blacklash when he got jennifer and ben to sign on. I'm sure he was seeing $$ in his eyes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.