Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Character defining movie quotes

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-31-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier today I started thinking about some of my favorite quotes from movies and I began wondering what are my favorite quotes that helped to define the character that spoke them. Going even deeper into this line of thought, I started thinking what quotes do the most to illuminate the psyche of, and illustrate the underlying psychological dynamics of, the character in the movie.

The first one that came to my mind was from Punch Drunk Love when Barry is sitting on the beach in Hawaii and he utters, "It really looks like Hawaii here...". In my opinion, this one line more than anything else in the movie, helped me to understand the degree to which Barry was disconnected from, not only the rest of the world, but from his very own life, as if he was watching it as a spectator might watch TV or a movie.

Of course not all "character defining/illuminating" quotes are the same (i.e. there are the slapstick type, the depressing ones, the melodramatic ones, the subtle ones, and the list goes on and on...).

I would like to read some of everyone's favorite quotes like these...and as I thnk of more I will post them.
Old 03-31-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got two . . . William Wallace from Braveheart (in a conversation with Hamish):
Hamish: I don't want to be a martyr.

William: Nor I. I want to live. I want a home, and children, and peace.

Hamish: Do ya?

William: Ay, I do. I've asked God for these things. It's all for nothing if you don't have freedom.

Hamish: That's all a dream, William.

William: A dream? Just a dream? What we've been doing all this time; we've lived that dream.
. . . and a second regarding Major Richard Winters from A Band Of Brothers (from one of the real-life interviews):
I treasure my remark to a grandson who asked, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" "No", I answered, "But I served in a company of heroes".
Old 04-01-04, 12:00 AM

John: You can't just go around killing people.
Terminator: Why?
:P
Old 04-01-04, 12:16 AM

Get bust livin' or get busy dyin'

Also, from another Frank Darabont movie, The Majestic:

Angry Guy: This town has had enough heartbreak. Who are you really?
Jim Carrey as Peter Appleton: Just a guy trying to figure things out.
Old 04-01-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First character I thought of was Sy Parrish in One Hour Photo:
"If these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world... to take my picture."
Old 04-01-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Sorry about the mess..."

-Han Solo Star Wars
Old 04-01-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?
Old 04-01-04, 01:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"She will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine."

-Wayne Campbell
Old 04-01-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Nigel Tufnel
Old 04-01-04, 11:05 AM

Re: Character defining movie quotes

Originally posted by NavinJohnson
First character I thought of was Sy Parrish in One Hour Photo:
"If these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world... to take my picture."

This is an excellent one! That line neatly and concisely illustartes the needs and desires of Sy, and thus letting us peek in on his psyche and inner dynamics.

Thanks to the other people who have posted too, those are some great ones. When you post one, I would love to hear a little bit about what the quote helped you to understand about the character and in what way it let us take a peek at their psyche.

Here is another (more comical) one that I thought of from Office Space... "So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

This line cracks me up everytime I hear it, but it aslo conveys to me the severe degree of despair that Peter feels with what he is doing with his life. In my mind, this helps to illustrate the living hell that the character is suffering through everyday and the complete lack of meaning in his life, more than any of the other work related jokes that are found in the movie.
Old 04-01-04, 11:46 AM

The dude abides
Old 04-01-04, 12:39 PM

"The dude abides"

He certainly does...
Old 04-01-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
"Man, move over and let me pass, 'fore I push these hushpuppies up yo mutha******' @$$!"-Dolemite
Old 04-01-04, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
"Man, move over and let me pass, 'fore I push these hushpuppies up yo mutha******' @$$!"-Dolemite
two words "Petey Wheatstraw"
Old 04-01-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for". I agree with the second part.
Old 04-01-04, 02:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
"Come up to the coast. We'll get together. Have a few laughs."
Old 04-01-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A bunch from The Shawshank Redemption:

. . . regarding Warden Samuel Norton:
"I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank."
. . . regarding Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding:
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them. That's institutionalized. They send you here for life, that's exactly what they take. The part that counts, anyways."
      . . . and . . .
I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.
. . . regarding Andy Dufresne:
<commenting on Red not wanting to play the harmonica> "Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget. Forget that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone. That there's a - there's a - there's something inside that's yours, that they can't touch."
      . . . and . . .
You could argue he'd done it to curry favor with the guards. Or, maybe make a few friends among us cons. Me, I think he did it just to feel normal again, if only for a short while.
. . . regarding Brooks Hatlen:
"I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw an automobile once when I was a kid. But, now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry."

Last edited by talemyn; 04-01-04 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 05:48 PM

In Band Of Brothers, when a terrified, and shellshocked Albert Blithe asks Ronald Spiers how he copes with fear, Spiers says...

" We're all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there's still hope. But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function. Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse. All war depends on it. "

Throughout the story, Spiers demonstrates that he is the perfect soldier. An unemotional fighting machine. Fearless and efficient. I think that quote perfectly captures the reason he's able to do that. For better or worse, he ceases to become human. It's probably the reason he went on to a long and distinguished career in the military.
Old 04-01-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, there are so many but none are coming to mind.

"I know now why you cry but it is something I can never do"
Old 04-01-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts
The Third Man. Waaay too defining to leave out of a spoiler.

Spoiler:
Martins: Have you ever seen any of your victims?

Harry Lime: You know, I never feel comfortable on these sort of things. Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money? Or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays.
Old 04-01-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm paraphrasing because I don't recall the EXACT quote, which was later parodied in the Naked Gun but this is the best example I can think of for character definition:

"I see three guys raping a girl in a park, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy" -- Dirty Harry Callahan.
Old 04-01-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

George McFly paraphrase.

I'm sorry, son. I'm just not good with...'confrontation.'
Old 04-01-04, 08:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"I had a father. His name was Ben Parker."

-Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Old 04-01-04, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are some rough ones, these are off the top pf my head, so excuse me if they are a little wrong...

"I've lost R2" ---- after that Luke is on his own.

"Catholic school girls, its the uniform that does it for me. I should have gone with more Catholic schools girls when I was younger. As it stands, I have no '...and then she unzipped her jumper stories.'"
-------Banky Edwards in Chasing AMy

"What's a Nubian?"
----Banky Edwars in chasing amy

"Maybe Jay just has manners" ---Shannen Elizabeth
--while out side---
"YO Baby, you ever has your a*sshole licked by a fat guy in coat?" ---Jay in JASBSB

"F*uck Martha Stewert"
-----Tyler Dirden in Fight Club

You furnish the pictures. I'll furnish the war"
----Charlie Kane ---Citizen Kane

"S*hit bay you don't want that, caus when I cum, I cum withthe thunder"
----Martin Lawrence in Bad Baoys

"A rain out, hell I can get you a rain out"
----Crash Davis in Bull Durham

"I feel like a banker in this"
----Wild thing Vaugh, refering to the jacket and tie he had to put on over his sleeveless shirt

"I don't know if you'venoticed, but cumm leaves streaks on glass if you son't clean it right away"
----Randal in Clerks

"ass to ass"
----the crownd in Requien for a dream

"I know that one, That's Steven f*ucking Foster" --one of the cowboys
"no, it's Fredrick f*ucking Chopin"
----Doc Holiday in Tombstone

"Did you bring me a horse?" ---Chaarles Bronson
"looks like we're gonna be one short" ---asassins looking over their shoulders seeing only the three horses the rode in on
"nope, looks like there's two too many" ---Chares Bronson in Once upon a time in the west
Old 04-01-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Character defining movie quotes

Originally posted by dave-o
"It really looks like Hawaii here...".
Barry Egan

It's bittersweet for me to watch a character like him because a see elements of myself in him.

My favorite line from the movie is:

"I have a love in my life. It makes me stronger than anything you can imagine."

I feel like there is true power in those words.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.