Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Promising Young Director

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who is the Most Promising Young Director?
Wes Anderson
13.76%
P.T. Anderson
13.76%
Darren Aronofsky
6.42%
Sofia Coppola
11.93%
David Fincher
19.27%
Chris Nolan
5.50%
Quentin Tarantino
14.68%
other
14.68%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Most Promising Young Director

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Next Generation Director

So which director are we going to still be seeing great movies from 10 years from now. My vote is for Quentin Tarantino, 2 brilliant films and 2 near perfect ones and with Kill Bill proves he still has it even with a 7 year layoff. He is followed closely by Wes and P.T. Anderson.

Edit: Ok I fixed the title since young was the wrong word for what I was going for. I was thinking more on the lines of the next generation. As directors like Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, Roman Polanski, and already Stanley Kubrick whose careers dominated the late 70s-late90s and some still. But soon their carrers will be coming to an end I consider all these people as part of the the next generation of directors

Last edited by Ringo20000; 04-02-04 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-31-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overall: David Gordon Green . . .

Mainstream: Kevin Smith . . .

Last edited by talemyn; 03-31-04 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-31-04, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Kevin Smith.
Old 03-31-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm going with Quentin Tarantino. No backlash is ever going to get me...I think the guy is brilliant. Everyone of his films is a gem, and I have no doubt he'll continue to be so. His only problem is...he's freakin lazy and takes forever. But hey...you could fault Kubrick with the same problem.

I agree with the two Anderson's two...no doubt they'll continue to put out great stuff...though I imagine they'll never be seen beyond the niche market that loves them. Wes Anderson might be able to break out more so than PT though.

And Fincher I believe will continue to be a great director...while I can't make out that he's as great as his predecesors, he is a fabulous studio director, a guy who takes stuff that might be piddling and turns out great suspense films. Not sure he'll ever do anything as daring and great as Fight Club though. I just hope he does.
Old 03-31-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lukas Moodysson and Fernando León de Aranoa...
Old 03-31-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This poll is so completely wrong. Quentin Tarantino is not young, and certainly not a newcomer. He was a newcomer in 1993, after Reservoir Dogs came out. Then he made Pulp Fiction, and that was that. I believe you're basically new if you've made just one or two films, and are still not getting final cut, carte blanch with the studios, and haven't yet made a mark.

If anyone is knew from the list, I'd say it's Chris Nolan, Darren Aronofsky and maybe Sofia Coppola, though I'd say Lost in Translation shows her in great form. David Fincher is NOT NEW to the game! Spike Jonez? Sort of. The guy who directed Spotless Mind, Michel Gondry, etc...... Anyway, I voted for Sofia, since she rules most as a newcomer.
Old 03-31-04, 11:11 PM

Can't decide between Wes Anderson and M. Night Shyamalan, they have each made some of my favorite movies and I'm sure ten years from now they will still be making great movies.
Old 03-31-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by scroll2b
This poll is so completely wrong. Quentin Tarantino is not young, and certainly not a newcomer.
Amen. It's like "which one of these does not go with the other"? Even Fincher I can see loosely could be called "new" but Tarantino's over 40 now and been doing this over a decade.

Of the "new," I had to go with Wes Anderson. I've loved all three of his movies. Close behind is Sofia Coppola based on "LIT" alone and I love Nolan's "Memento" and "Insomnia" and am really curious to see what he does with Batman.
Old 03-31-04, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
... Sofia Coppola based on "LIT" alone ...
Virgin Suicides...
Old 04-01-04, 12:11 AM

I picked Wes, even though to me he has already delivered on the promise.

Looking forward to seeing more from Sofia Coppola and Darren Aranofsky as well.
Old 04-01-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Voted for P.T.A.
Old 04-01-04, 12:28 AM

Is that P.T. Anderson of Resident Evil fame?

or Paul Thomas Anderson of Magnolia fame?

Might have voted for Magnolia boy.

oooooh. my mistake. The director of crapola is Paul W.S. Anderson, in which case I wish to do the Republican thing and vote twice.

Last edited by rushmore223; 04-01-04 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-01-04, 12:35 AM

I don't think any of the choices should be referred to as "young."

If you've done more than two films or won an Oscar, you left youth long ago.
Old 04-01-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amen. It's like "which one of these does not go with the other"? Even Fincher I can see loosely could be called "new" but Tarantino's over 40 now and been doing this over a decade.
Fincher has been doing it for longer. Fincher has been doing music videos for the '80s and Alien 3 came out in 1992, a year before Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs.

Kevin Smith shot Clerks in early 1993 (IIRC)? He's been in the business for ten years now.

I can see Chris Nolan, Sofia Coppola, Darren Aronofsky, and Wes Anderson in the list... but not the others....

Some young directors IMO that show promise...
Ryuhei Kitamura showed much promise after the low budget Versus.

Daniel Minahan showed much promise after the low budget Series 7 (think Battle Royale meets reality television).

If Luke Greenfield can do more The Girl Next Door's and less The Animal's, then I'd see more from him.

Eli Roth's Cabin Fever was a great throwback to '70s and '80s horror films and I'd love to see more from him.

And the young director that shows the most promise:
RICHARD KELLY.
Old 04-01-04, 01:14 AM

Tough call, I've really like the films I've seen from each of those directors.

BTW, anyone know what Fincher, PT Anderson, and Christopher Nolan are up to now?
Old 04-01-04, 01:29 AM

Kevin Smith a good director? I guess if you like silly, pseudo-intellectual comedy with ongoing jokes that when said in public either make you totally cool, or totally ridiculous. I've never been impressed with Kevin Smith's "work," and I put work in quotations because I don't even feel he makes real films.

Tarantino is one crazy dude, but he makes good films for the most part. Like others have mentioned, he's not really a new director, so I immediately ruled him out.

Darren Aronofsky is sitting at 0% right now, probably because he's one of the only directors who DO meet the criteria of the poll. He's done Pi and Requiem for a Dream so far. Sofia Coppola's career spans what, 2 films in 10 years? Not really a pro, but she's had a lot of time. I guess she could qualify, though.

Nolan has done 3 films, Fincher has done 5+, Wes has done 3 that I know of, Paul T. has done 4. The poll is flawed, but I still voted for Paul Thomas Anderson because he's probably my favorite on the list.
Old 04-01-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Psychlowne

Sofia Coppola's career spans what, 2 films in 10 years? Not really a pro, but she's had a lot of time. I guess she could qualify, though.

Sofia Coppola is by all means a new director. She's made two films, and not in 10 years. her first film was Virgin Suicides, which was a 1999 flick. 5 years, not 10. And while I voted for Tarantino, I do agree...he's not really a newcomer. I'd say once your past your sophmore film, you're no longer new.

Unless you're Terence Malick...three films in 30 years? Geesh!
Old 04-01-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

from that list, I would vote Darren Aronfosky, because he hasn't done anything that big yet, and he's just raring to get his hands on a third movie (though at the same time I think he's just not willing to make just any movie either )

"newcomer" director Stephen Chow would be interesting

the buzz from people I tend to agree with more seem to say that Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl seems to be good, but I have yet to see it. I have a feeling though I would like it.

I would like to see another Guy Ritchie movie. I never saw Swept Away, but would like to.

Sofia Coppola should continue to make solid movies.

I am not a P.T. Anderson fan nor a Christopher Nolan.

Wes Anderson's fourth movie should be also be interesting, yet since this is his first venture without Owen writing, it might still be a bit clunky. Let's see how he does without his original writing partner.

and, oh David Fincher. All his movies are always visually pleasing. I do not always like the story lines, but they are fun to watch.

That's all

Last edited by joeydaninja; 04-01-04 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-01-04, 03:10 AM

Lynn Ramsey
Naomi Kawase
Manoel de Oliveira
Old 04-01-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I agree that Quentin ISN'T a new director...the guy's been around for over 10 years now. David Fincher's been around for over 10 years as well, as has PT Anderson. Not sure about the others...

If we want to talk "new", how about "Dawn of the Dead's" Zack Snyder...that was pretty impressive for a first film.

I also agree that Kevin Smith isn't much of a DIRECTOR - but he's a great WRITER!

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-01-04 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-01-04, 07:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by rushmore223
Is that P.T. Anderson of Resident Evil fame?

or Paul Thomas Anderson of Magnolia fame?
Paul W.S. Anderson directed Resident Evil.

Anyway, I agree that it's not a very good list of "young" directors. Everybody is over 30, and some are over 40.
Old 04-01-04, 07:44 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Samira Makhmalbaf
Old 04-01-04, 07:57 AM

Bah. Samira's no match for the TRUE powerful in the family,
Hania!
Old 04-01-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Virgin Suicides...
Yep, definitely Sofia from this list. I'm not counting Quentin, since he's no newcomer.
Old 04-01-04, 08:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
Overall: David Gordon Green . . .

I second this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.