Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

john waters discussion thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-31-04, 09:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

questions, comments, thoughts, stories, reviews, whatever regarding the films and dvds of John Waters, post em here.

I love PINK FLAMINGOES and FEMALE TROUBLE. ( i was expecting these to be overrated, but lo and behold i was still shocked by what i saw)

didn't care for PECKER

LOVED crybaby.

question:

was the chicken sex scene in PF real?
Old 03-31-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: john waters discussion thread

Originally posted by whynotsmile
question:

was the chicken sex scene in PF real?
Supposidly, yes.... and, yes, the chicken did meet it's maker during the scene. I can't remember if JW talked about it during the commentary or in an interview.

I've enjoyed most of his films.... even Pecker and Cecil B Demented.

Oh, as a side note, I have a great fondness for Hairspray. I knew one of the dancers. She's the blonde cutie in the blue dress w/white polka dots. She was a ballgirl for the Orioles.

Last edited by TomOpus; 03-31-04 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-31-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I saw it in a interview on the vhs I rented years back. He said at least it got f___d before it died.

Polyester still remains as my favorite Waters film.
Old 03-31-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How much is that doggie in the window ?
Old 03-31-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
^Yeah Pink Flamingos does have the best soundtrack...Even though I haven't been able to listen to "Surfin' Bird" the same way again.
Old 04-01-04, 01:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've seen almost all of his film. He's an amazing director. Even his early films have a kinetic quality that make up for the amateurish nature of the technical parts.

Female Trouble is one of the best American comedies ever made.
Old 05-13-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Figured I'd ressurect this, his A Dirty Shame just got slapped with an NC-17 rating (logical) and I randomly caught this comment in an Ebert review of Water's most recent flick (Cecil):

1.5 out of 4

There will, however, always be a (small) corner of my heart filled with admiration for John Waters. He is an anarchist in an age of the cautious, an independent in an age of studio creatures, a man whose films are homemade and contain no chemicals or preservatives. Even with "Cecil B. Demented," which fails on just about every level, you've got to hand it to him: The idea for the film is kind of inspired. When this kid gets out of high school, he's going to amount to something. You wait and see.

And agreeably, even if you hate Waters you can't completely hate what he does.
Old 05-13-04, 11:05 AM

hmm.. Serial Mom is one of my favorite movies
Old 05-13-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hairspray is a great, great movie.

I also love Serial Mom and Cry Baby.
Old 05-13-04, 03:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
the Hairspray DVD has a great commentary track from John Waters, looking forward to listening to other commentaries he has done.
Old 05-14-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts
All his commentary tracks are highly entertaining. Also, his book, Shock Value, is very funny and informative. I am very fond of most of his films.

And as for the chicken in Pink Flamingos, yes it was real and yes it died, but after shooting that day, it was cooked and eaten by the cast and crew. That way, they couldn't get in trouble regarding cruelty to animals.
Old 05-14-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
I haven't been able to listen to "Surfin' Bird" the same way again.

Tell me about it. I have " a-hole " new take on that song.
Old 05-14-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts
Old 05-14-04, 11:45 AM
Banned

I love or like all Waters's stuff up to "Serial Mom" (which was okay)...Then it's been down hill sadly.

The only film that still has that wonderful Waters magic and yet can at least liked by a general audience is the truly delightful "Hairspray".

Waters could never again get that mix of 'pure' Waters mindset (explicit material or not) and general acceptabilty. Some tried like "Serial Mom" but most failed.

And as such most latter day Waters is basically naff. Because it fails as mainstream cinema and is devoid of all of the pure, honest, non-contrived 'Trash' sensibilty that can only come from certain people, at a certain time, at a certain time in their life and with a totally 'pure' 'Trash' heart coming together and creating magic.

The acting in his films is one of the definate highlights of them, despite being so 'off' in the normal sense of what you would consider acting..is utterly perfect. IT'S PERFECT!
Nothing should change.
thesps...there is no place for Anthony Hopkins here.

Those performances are just divine and VERY well acted from a technical point of view as the actors have to act like they are in a stage play. No retakes, pages of dialogue, no stops for angle changes..this is hard stuff and all for hardly any financial reward. TOP CLASS.

in the realms of Trash Cinema Waters's actors are about as great as they come.
Edith Massey for example is a true Icon. And simply wonderful in everything she does, just like the wonderful David Lochary, Divine, Mink....Just the most perfect 'Trash' cast ever put together.

The New Line DVD's are essential purchases. Recently picked up the very hard to find "Mondo Trasho" and I'm looking forward to seeing this as I have not had the chance before.

Wonderful films made by a wonderful Director, with wonderful casts...But sadly the times, and the market (and of course many of his Stars) that helped make such films as great as they are have all passed away now.
Old 08-19-04, 09:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
the trailer for 'A Dirty Shame' looks downright hysterical - Bravo New Line for releasing this with a NC-17!

The first time I saw the water bottle dance scene I nearly chocked on my popcorn
Old 08-20-04, 12:27 PM

You should see what she does with that bottle at the end of the scene!