DVD Talk
screening copy?? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum
 
Best Sellers
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
9.
10.
DVD Blowouts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99
8.
9.
10.

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : screening copy??


spudseq
03-30-04, 12:11 PM
bought some dvd's at a pawn shop today and these two say "screening copy" and they dont have UPC codes.

are these the same as will be released?

they are
Safe Conduct
R.S.V.P

Thanks for any information

achau9598
03-30-04, 12:16 PM
These usually tend to be copies sent out to reviewers. They are usually clearly marked "not for sale" on them.

renaldow
03-30-04, 12:32 PM
These are also sent out to video stores to generate interest in ordering the titles. Generally they don't have extras on them, and are often just a stereo release, not 5.1 In other words, very bare bones.

Pointyskull
03-30-04, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by renaldow
These are also sent out to video stores to generate interest in ordering the titles. Generally they don't have extras on them, and are often just a stereo release, not 5.1 In other words, very bare bones.

Actually, not entirely true.

While that is the case once in a great while, 99% of the screeners I get for review (I write for another DVD site) have all of the extras/sound options as the consumer release.

The only diff is that instead of a UPC, it is usually marked NOT FOR SALE OR RENTAL


As for R.S.V.P., if the one you bought had a commentary, deleted scenes and twenty-minute feautette, you're not missing anything.

marty888
03-30-04, 03:01 PM
Actually, sometimes they have an "extra" that is not on the consumer release: something like <i>"screening copy - not for sale"</i> appearing on the bottom of the screen every 10-15 minutes.

Randy Miller III
03-30-04, 03:01 PM
I'm gotten several different quality copies of screeners to review. Some are marked 'not for sale', some are test discs (no packaging), and some just have a hole-punch through the UPC code.

Jackskeleton
03-30-04, 03:26 PM
It all depends. Usually screener copies months before release will just be bare bones. these are award screeners and the such. Promo's that go to stores are usually an exact copy of what the store version will get and they usually show up a month or so before it's suppose to hit street date.

Pointyskull
03-30-04, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by marty888
Actually, sometimes they have an "extra" that is not on the consumer release: something like <i>"screening copy - not for sale"</i> appearing on the bottom of the screen every 10-15 minutes.

Thankfully, I've only come across one of those in the hundreds of discs I've been sent.

gbub
03-30-04, 05:24 PM
I saw a preview disc for the Oscars that said "for your consideration" every 12 minutes. I kept thinking, if they want it considered for an Oscar, shouldn't they not annoy the reviewer with that message?

Megatron
04-02-04, 12:09 PM
fox screeners also go from color to black and white every 10-15 minutes for a minute at a time

majorjoe23
04-02-04, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Megatron
fox screeners also go from color to black and white every 10-15 minutes for a minute at a time

So do some New Line screeners. The disc they sent out for The Real Cancun/Run Ronnie Run went black and white occassionally too.