Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What's up with the Resident Evil Outbreak release date?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-27-04, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was supposed to be out next week, but I just checked all the weekly ads and none of them even mention it. I would think they would be sure to include a new Resident Evil title in their ads.
Old 03-27-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

its now the 2nd-3rd of april
Old 03-27-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ebgames.com says it ships 4/1/04 which is a change from 3/30/04.

Oh well.....fairly busy with other games with all of the recent price drops.
Old 04-01-04, 10:27 AM

bump

Wasn't really interested in this, but after seeing "Dawn of the Dead", I need my zombie video game fix. Gamestop shows it as shipping and I expect that EB will soon follow.
Old 04-01-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Yeah, I went into Funcoland(owned by Gamestop) and the girl said it would be there around Friday. I got my call from them about 10 minutes ago saying the same.

I don't have the network deal on my PSX2 yet. Will Outbreak have it's own online charges? I heard that new Final Fantasy has all these silly charges to play online......

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-02-04 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-01-04, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Just FFXI and Everquest have online charges. Everything else is free.
Old 04-02-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well....today is April 2nd and EBGAMES online still has not shipped my game. Their site specifically states to be shipped on 4/1/04 and I ordered this some time ago. It is not like I just ordered it last week. Maybe it has shipped and their website has not yet been updated to reflect it.
Old 04-02-04, 10:13 AM

I purchased mine yesterday at Gamestop
Old 04-02-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Just FFXI and Everquest have online charges. Everything else is free.
cool. Hopefully I can get the PSX2 network deal and hook it up. I can't wait till we can get some dvdtalk Outbreak sessions going.
Old 04-02-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got mine... looks good.
Old 04-02-04, 02:30 PM

Is the game any good?
Old 04-02-04, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Got mine today. Havn't had a chance to try it though...
Old 04-02-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is the single player fun in this game? I won't be playing online. I love Resident Evil so I'm close to picking this up.
Old 04-02-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A half-assed review so far...

I just popped Outbreak into the Playstation 2 ton see what's what and let me say right off the bat that one thing they added which I LOVE is being able to use the analog sticks to move.

So far I'm just fartin' 'round with it and i'm not seriously playing yet. I just wanted to see what's up and one thing that bothers me is the the Load time when going room to room. It seems rather long. You know how in the past RE's going from room to room always took several seconds? Will maybe it's just me but so far RE: Outbreak seems to take a little longer than usual. I'm hoping it's just the one area I was playing transition and not the "norm" for the game. God knows what it'll be like online.... Is it bearable? I guess. Perhpas I'm just used to "XBOX's speed" .

There are some nice added abilities like being able to go next to an injured character and helping them move by taking them under your arm and each character has his/her own special moves like Blocking, Kicking, tackling, aiming certain guns, and so on. The dialog is strange because in the single player scenario I was playing the characters kept repeating shit over and over and it was kinda annoying IMHO. But I guess it's different from them just standing and looking at you until you hit a button. The zombies are somewhat varied and they don't all look alike and that's cool thing. They're just as aggrasive as in the past.

With all the debate over fast Zombies from DAWN 04, these zombie are slower than hell..until they get up on you or bust threw a window..... You practically have to bump into some of them to get them to attack you in contrast to DAWN 04's fast running zombies sighting you from half a block or more and sprinting to eat your ass.
Old 04-02-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
A half-assed review so far...

I just popped Outbreak into the Playstation 2 ton see what's what and let me say right off the bat that one thing they added which I LOVE is being able to use the analog sticks to move.

So far I'm just fartin' 'round with it and i'm not seriously playing yet. I just wanted to see what's up and one thing that bothers me is the the Load time when going room to room. It seems rather long. You know how in the past RE's going from room to room always took several seconds? Will maybe it's just me but so far RE: Outbreak seems to take a little longer than usual. I'm hoping it's just the one area I was playing transition and not the "norm" for the game. God knows what it'll be like online.... Is it bearable? I guess. Perhpas I'm just used to "XBOX's speed" .

There are some nice added abilities like being able to go next to an injured character and helping them move by taking them under your arm and each character has his/her own special moves like Blocking, Kicking, tackling, aiming certain guns, and so on. The dialog is strange because in the single player scenario I was playing the characters kept repeating shit over and over and it was kinda annoying IMHO. But I guess it's different from them just standing and looking at you until you hit a button. The zombies are somewhat varied and they don't all look alike and that's cool thing. They're just as aggrasive as in the past.

With all the debate over fast Zombies from DAWN 04, these zombie are slower than hell..until they get up on you or bust threw a window..... You practically have to bump into some of them to get them to attack you in contrast to DAWN 04's fast running zombies sighting you from half a block or more and sprinting to eat your ass.
IGN's review stated as much about the long load times...they said if you had the hard drive....this would speed up the load times but I think I can go ahead and save $100.00 and wait for the areas to load. I agree regarding Xbox...the load times are super fast!!! If the hard drive was reasonably priced by itself at $50.00, I would buy it. Could care less about FFXI and will not be forced into buying the game and the hard drive for $100.00. I figure the hard drive is actually worth about $50.00 and they are getting their money for the game by adding another $50.00 onto the price.
Old 04-02-04, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Sony did say the hard-drive would have been around $100, and Square allowed them to put FFXI with it for free to get people to play it (and spend the $13 a month)
Old 04-03-04, 01:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got it today, and beat the first scenario... BUT... I couldn't get it to save! So now I have to go through that long-ass scenario all over again, and I still don't know if it'll save! It acted like it saved the data, but once I restarted my PS2 an hour later, it was all gone. (And, yes, the memory card is working fine otherwise). What am I doing wrong here?

Otherwise, it's fun, but difficult to get used to. The teammate AI needs serious work. They often will pass up green herbs when they are in danger, so I have to grab it for them and make them take it from me! I feel like I'm constantly babysitting these jokers. It's fun otherwise, though.
Old 04-03-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DRG
I got it today, and beat the first scenario... BUT... I couldn't get it to save! So now I have to go through that long-ass scenario all over again, and I still don't know if it'll save! It acted like it saved the data, but once I restarted my PS2 an hour later, it was all gone. (And, yes, the memory card is working fine otherwise). What am I doing wrong here?

Otherwise, it's fun, but difficult to get used to. The teammate AI needs serious work. They often will pass up green herbs when they are in danger, so I have to grab it for them and make them take it from me! I feel like I'm constantly babysitting these jokers. It's fun otherwise, though.

Agreed. The others in the game are kinda stupid and they seem way more robotic than most AI buddy games.
Old 04-03-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by djones6746
IGN's review stated as much about the long load times...they said if you had the hard drive....this would speed up the load times but I think I can go ahead and save $100.00 and wait for the areas to load. I agree regarding Xbox...the load times are super fast!!! If the hard drive was reasonably priced by itself at $50.00, I would buy it. Could care less about FFXI and will not be forced into buying the game and the hard drive for $100.00. I figure the hard drive is actually worth about $50.00 and they are getting their money for the game by adding another $50.00 onto the price.
i won't be buying the HD anytime soon. It's bad enough I can't get Outbreak on XBOX.

I guess I can deal with the load times as is...
Old 04-03-04, 05:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I finally got my saves to work (I was stupid and didn't realize 'red' was the highlight instead of white.), my more in-depth impressions. I don't have the online adapter, so these are strictly offline impressions.

Teammate AI is still bad, and lacks logic. It would be nice if they let you pick your companions, but they seem to be eitherly randomly picked or picked based on which character you choose. I also wish I could leave them behind at times (like RE Zero). The 4-item storage capacity (except for Yoko) is a bit too limiting, and leads to a lot of backtracking. If you could get the computer to drop needless items they could work as packmules, but it's a pain in the current setup.

As for the scenarios themselves, much more action-packed than your typical RE game, which is good or bad depending on your POV. The areas are pretty vast (even the 'short' initial scenario has some depth). So far the areas feel like RE3: Nemesis in layout. The game itself is closest to Nemesis in feel, throughout. There is a lot of flexibility in weaponry and attacks, but it is often for naught, as the broomsticks and whatnot aren't very effective once you're cornered by two or more zombies. The zombies seem to regenerate at times, so unfortunately that kills any "clearing out" strategies. This is very much a 'keep moving' game.

The character variety is interesting. I haven't used them all, but there is a distinct feel to each character. The remarks are interesting, and there are quite a few interesting remarks made, both verbal and written (
Spoiler:
I cracked up when Alyssa said she felt like her tits were freezing off!
)

The loadtimes are pretty bad, but you get used to it. The difficulty is frustratingly hard at times. One big change that requires some getting used to is the realtime menu screen. When you switch weapons, use items, etc., the game is still going on. In other words, make sure no enemies are around because you can get attacked while in the menu screen. Also, unless you have a clip, reloading is also in realtime. You load it one bullet at a time, at a rate of about two bullets per second.

The worse thing about this game are the bugs. I was playing scenario 1 as Alyssa and halfway through the game froze. I come to find out this happens to everyone. Poor, poor game design.

All in all, this is a fun game. Honestly, if they didn't have to accomodate the online version they could take the ideas and turn them into something great. I suppose that defeats the purpose, but hey.
Old 04-03-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DRG
Now that I finally got my saves to work (I was stupid and didn't realize 'red' was the highlight instead of white.), my more in-depth impressions. I don't have the online adapter, so these are strictly offline impressions.

Teammate AI is still bad, and lacks logic. It would be nice if they let you pick your companions, but they seem to be eitherly randomly picked or picked based on which character you choose. I also wish I could leave them behind at times (like RE Zero). The 4-item storage capacity (except for Yoko) is a bit too limiting, and leads to a lot of backtracking. If you could get the computer to drop needless items they could work as packmules, but it's a pain in the current setup.

As for the scenarios themselves, much more action-packed than your typical RE game, which is good or bad depending on your POV. The areas are pretty vast (even the 'short' initial scenario has some depth). So far the areas feel like RE3: Nemesis in layout. The game itself is closest to Nemesis in feel, throughout. There is a lot of flexibility in weaponry and attacks, but it is often for naught, as the broomsticks and whatnot aren't very effective once you're cornered by two or more zombies. The zombies seem to regenerate at times, so unfortunately that kills any "clearing out" strategies. This is very much a 'keep moving' game.

The character variety is interesting. I haven't used them all, but there is a distinct feel to each character. The remarks are interesting, and there are quite a few interesting remarks made, both verbal and written (
Spoiler:
I cracked up when Alyssa said she felt like her tits were freezing off!
)

The loadtimes are pretty bad, but you get used to it. The difficulty is frustratingly hard at times. One big change that requires some getting used to is the realtime menu screen. When you switch weapons, use items, etc., the game is still going on. In other words, make sure no enemies are around because you can get attacked while in the menu screen. Also, unless you have a clip, reloading is also in realtime. You load it one bullet at a time, at a rate of about two bullets per second.

The worse thing about this game are the bugs. I was playing scenario 1 as Alyssa and halfway through the game froze. I come to find out this happens to everyone. Poor, poor game design.

All in all, this is a fun game. Honestly, if they didn't have to accomodate the online version they could take the ideas and turn them into something great. I suppose that defeats the purpose, but hey.
I may sell my copy after reading up on IGN's review and some of the comments here. I am looking forward to RE4 more than I am Outbreak. It is a shame Capcom allowed this game to suffer due to the need for online play. How many people are really going to play this online here? Oh well....guess I will see how I feel about it once I receive it in the mail. One of my friends whom I consider an RE pro as I am has played some of the beginning and called me to tell me he may have me sell his copy on ebay. Not a good sign at all....

Last edited by djones6746; 04-04-04 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-04-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by djones6746
I may sell my copy after reading up on IGN's review and some of the comments here. I am looking forward the RE4 more than I am Outbreak. It is a shame Capcom allowed this game to suffer due to the need for online play. How many people are really going to play this online here? Oh well....guess I will see how I feel about it once I receive it in the mail. One of my friends whom I consider an RE pro as I am has played some of the beginning and called me to tell me he may have me sell his copy on ebay. Not a good sign at all....

Yeah it is sad. I wonder when stuff like this happens if the people making the game are real gamers. The controls are weird, the Ai is lame, and game is slow. Again, I can't even imagine what things will be like online. Frankly this games -was- the only reason I had even considered buying the network adapter.

Although I think the PSX2 online play will be limited, I think if this game had come out on XBOX with Live capabilites it would get a lot of attention.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-05-04 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-04-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game is too action oriented, while keeping the same movement scheme as the Resident Evil games. Most of the time you are just running and the only sense of real danger is the few areas where your party is trying to bust down a door or barricade while holding off zombies, that stuff is damn fun, but apparently few and far between. The online play has been atrocious so far. The scenarios often last a good 20+ minutes, but there are numerous connection problems that keeep dropping games, and I've tried 2 different internet connections with the same problems. I say give the game a shot if you're a zombie fan, but otherwise the game just isnt put together well enough.
Old 04-04-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, today the servers seem to be doing pretty good, and I was even able to play a few games over a 56k modem connection.
Old 04-06-04, 02:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Follow up...

The game is growing on me a little. The fun part to me is the Completion-oriented approach, a la Grand Theft Auto or Tony Hawk 4/Underground. I enjoy trying to find all the events/items/different endings/etc. to try to get 100% and unlocking things.

P.S. To the others who have played this... how do you stomp while holding a weapon?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.