Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead Questions...need answering

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-26-04, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So im sure that we can all agree that the movie rocked. Lets not waste time gaulking about how cool it was and lets get down to brass tax here.

1. Are we to assume as the audience that the entire world was being over run by these zombies?
2. What was the outcome of the poor "sail into the sunset" bastards upon landing on the island?
3. What was the time span between arriving at the mall and leaving?
4. Does Ving Rhames end up hooking up with both of the white chicks while on the boat? He looked like he could use a little white love.
5. Anything that you disliked about the movie?
6. Was Andy not the best character of all.....marooned on a roof....hilarious?
Old 03-26-04, 11:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
1. The opening montage seemed to indicate that this was a world-wide problem, yes.

2. We don't know. Only one thing is certain: the zombies got their video camera.

3. We don't know. No more than a few weeks, based on the pregnant lady.

4. We don't know. In terms of repopulating the world, he'd probably pair up with Sarah Polley, since the redhead was paired up with the security guard.

5. I haven't seen it, but I disliked the fact that it's MAINSTREAM CRAP.

6. The Andy sub-plot was one of the best parts of the movie. Very well done, IMHO.
Old 03-26-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Yes
2. I assume they were all killed. Boat didn't work, not much ammo, and a ton of zombies heading their way.
3. A couple three weeks tops.
4. His character is celibate, so no.*
5. Too short.
6. I don't think he was actually marooned on the roof, as he was able to go downstairs to get the dog. I think he just hung out up there like the mall rats did. But yeah, great character. Loved when he
Spoiler:
became zombified and just put a big blood smear on the whiteboard

* I just made that up.
Old 03-26-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's amazing that these questions couldn't just go into the already ongoing discussion thread about the topic.

6. I'll have to say pretty moronic. The guy had a store full of guns and ammo. I'm sure he could have cleared out the majority of all the zombies outside to just walk over and get a ham sammich.
Old 03-26-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's amazing that these questions couldn't just go into the already ongoing discussion thread about the topic.

6. I'll have to say pretty moronic. The guy had a store full of guns and ammo. I'm sure he could have cleared out the majority of all the zombies outside to just walk over and get a ham sammich.
I thought someone would be able to find one of those remote control toy helicopters or something and fly him over some food...I guess the mall didn't have a hobby store, and I guess it was too far of a throw for a Nerf football or somthing like that. But I agree...if the guy's got an ammo store, and there are only about 300 to 500 (very stupid) zombies to pick off...how long would it take? At a zombie a minute, you should have the parking lot cleared by evening...
Old 03-26-04, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I thought someone would be able to find one of those remote control toy helicopters or something and fly him over some food...I guess the mall didn't have a hobby store, and I guess it was too far of a throw for a Nerf football or somthing like that. But I agree...if the guy's got an ammo store, and there are only about 300 to 500 (very stupid) zombies to pick off...how long would it take? At a zombie a minute, you should have the parking lot cleared by evening...
or even a remote controlled car!
Old 03-26-04, 03:28 PM

Here are some more questions:

1. The zombies are mechanically inept (can’t turn a door knob, fire a gun, drive a car, etc.), so how did Vivian get in the house?

2. All of the zombies go ape shit when they see a live human, so why did Vivian stand there and lure Louis to her? (apparently child zombies need to be a little wilier).

3. How did Louis open the front door (or unlock the bedroom door for that matter)? And where was Vivian, why wasn’t she right behind him?

3. Louis will smash through a door with his head and try to punch out a windshield, but he won’t jump through an open bathroom window to chase Ana?

4. How did two guys dragging along a woman who is 8 ½ months pregnant get away from a mob of zombies without being following?

And that was just the first 10 minutes of the movie. You can do this with any movie I suppose, you just have to suspend disbelief. Notwithstanding, I thought it was a pretty entertaining flick.

Last edited by stevek; 03-26-04 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-26-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. yes i would assume so.
2. all dead i would think, either by a zombie bite, a self inflicted head shot, or drowning, or starvation.
3. 3 weeks sounds good. no more then a month.
4. i'm sure it would of been video taped and since we didn't see it, then no.
5. alot, however none of it really took away from my enjoyment and love of this movie.

A) didn't like the guy getting hit by the ambulance, why didn't the drive avoid him? i guess the drive could of thought that the man was a zombie, though. or maybe it wasn't an EMT driving but someone that jacked it and wasn't stopping for anything.

B) since we never see polly act as upset as she should of been having seen her husband die and try to kill her, they could of just made her single and avoid a character flaw. plus the movie shows some attraction between her and jake, which seemed to be in poor taste.

C) the secuirity guys being pricks. they eventually came around but i couldn't relate to their motives.

D) didn't show the characters taking advantage of the mall except for a brief montage.

E) the zombies not going after the dog

F) the leggless zombie in the parking garage.

G) give that they really had tons of time on their hands, and seemed to "talk" to andy alot, why would they of never informed him that they figured out people turn into zombies by being bitten by them. i think if andy knew that info he would of been more careful when getting the food.

H) getting the dog to take the food to andy was a bit clever, since they knew the zombies wouldn't go for the dog. however, there were several other ways. i think the best possible idea would of been for them to drive the truck over, but modify it. have it rigged with a chute to the back and hand rails on top, have one driver, one guy on top the truck with weapons to defend the driver and the third guy would use the ladder to get to andy. however before hand i would of had andy (before he was begining to starve) get all the ammo and weapons and other eq from downstairs and have it on the roof. drive the truck around in front hitting as many zombies as possible while andy also shoots them. repeat until it is thinned out a bit then have andy and the ladder guy hook up and send all the weapons and ammo down the chute into the truck.

I) the island idea wasn't a good one. i forgot where they were in the movie but what decent island could they possible find? plus would it have electricity? a food supply? shelter etc etc. seems like it would take huge logistic problems but they all gave it a minutes thought.

6. andy was definitely a good character and maybe my favorite. i also liked the shot of his message after he turned. that will make a god screen capture.
Old 03-26-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Possible answers to A and B...or at least my take:

a) I assume any car being driven like that either has a person driving who's so freaked out they can't think straight, a recently turned zombie at the wheel(Resident Evil 2 video game opening with the trucker), or a living driver with a zombie in the vehicle trying to kill them.

b) Lets assume Polly was in shock plus she was crying in the car. 1. She just saw a horribly injured and crazed girl bite her hubby then the hubby bleeds out, goes nuts, and tries to kill her. Don’t forget he chases her then run after another neighbor. The attraction thing had to happen between Polly and Jake and after all, both of them were single at that point….
Old 03-27-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you had a big bucket, could you clear a path out of the ocean? If he'd been on the ball at the beginning, I agree, he could've gotten over if he needed to. But by the time they were shooting celebrity look alikes, it was wall to wall dead down there, and more kept showing up. You wouldn't be able to kill them all, and a new one would take it's place when one went down.

Leaving Andy trapped over there was kind of lame though. They could've gotten him fairly easy if they'd tried. An easy option would've been to cut a hatch into the roof of the box truck, armor the sides of the cab like they did the vans, and drive it over. Andy could've lowered himself and guns into the hatch and then they could've driven back to the loading dock.
Old 03-27-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

stevek's questions:

1. I'm not sure they are mechanically inept, the have lost most of their coordination, but they can still perform simple tasks. I don't think door knobs are out of the question.

2. The newly dead don't go so apeshit, it's the ones that have been dead for awhile and haven't fed lately that go nuts.

3 #2: Zombies can't jump and aren't good climbers.

4. I'd assumed they had taken off when the zombies were distracted fighting/killing/feeding from the other members of their group. That's about the only way it could make sense.
Old 03-27-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
stevek's questions:

2. The newly dead don't go so apeshit, it's the ones that have been dead for awhile and haven't fed lately that go nuts.
That's not how I remembered it. Ana's husband went ape immediately after dying. All of those who died and were shown to return immediately went into a rage.
Old 03-27-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True that. I take back my answer to #2.
Old 03-27-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by stevek
Here are some more questions:

1. The zombies are mechanically inept (can’t turn a door knob, fire a gun, drive a car, etc.), so how did Vivian get in the house?

2. All of the zombies go ape shit when they see a live human, so why did Vivian stand there and lure Louis to her? (apparently child zombies need to be a little wilier).

3. How did Louis open the front door (or unlock the bedroom door for that matter)? And where was Vivian, why wasn’t she right behind him?

3. Louis will smash through a door with his head and try to punch out a windshield, but he won’t jump through an open bathroom window to chase Ana?

4. How did two guys dragging along a woman who is 8 ½ months pregnant get away from a mob of zombies without being following?

And that was just the first 10 minutes of the movie. You can do this with any movie I suppose, you just have to suspend disbelief. Notwithstanding, I thought it was a pretty entertaining flick.
1. My roommate and I wonder if she didn't get into the house before she completely "turned."

2. This was definitely a problem. But the zombies did a similar kind of thing as they came up the stairs: traveling slowly, as if they were coiling up before an attack. But that doesn't explain why Vivian would stretch her arms toward him.

3. Since the dead don't have any real logic, he may have become confused after she kicked him and he lost sight of her. A lacking explanation, but ya know.

4. I guess the same way CJ was able to hang back and shoot Tucker while the other zombies started eating him; zombies ate the other members, they tore ass outta there. The dead are easily distracted.

I thought it had tons of technical problems but also thought it was a complete blast. I really didn't want to think very much last night -- that's why I didn't go to Eternal Sunshine...
Old 03-27-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another question: Was the zombie that (who?) attacked Jake in the sports store a janitor or something? And why didn't the guy he was snacking on jump up and start going after Jake as well?
Old 03-27-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
because the mall cops capped him in the head. Remember that single gun shot when the mall security were going through the mall?

In this further expansion of the zombie mytho's.. Human zombies don't go after non-human animals. They can tell the difference and don't care for that sort of flesh. A zombie dog will go after a regular dog and not after a human (as the original script called for). In the Zombie survival guide (which I'm sure they also pulled it out of there collective ass) they state how animals get the sickness different then humans.

I) the island idea wasn't a good one. i forgot where they were in the movie but what decent island could they possible find? plus would it have electricity? a food supply? shelter etc etc. seems like it would take huge logistic problems but they all gave it a minutes thought.

City is over run. Where else would you go?
Old 03-27-04, 01:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I guess the mall didn't have a hobby store
Who knew what the mall had. The audience barely gets to see any of it outside of one teeny section.
Old 03-27-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

because the mall cops capped him in the head. Remember that single gun shot when the mall security were going through the mall?

In this further expansion of the zombie mytho's.. Human zombies don't go after non-human animals. They can tell the difference and don't care for that sort of flesh. A zombie dog will go after a regular dog and not after a human (as the original script called for). In the Zombie survival guide (which I'm sure they also pulled it out of there collective ass) they state how animals get the sickness different then humans.

1. I think he was talking the about the dead man the zombie was eating in the closet when Jake opened the door. We never saw that person get killed. But we did see the guards kill their buddy who was flailing around in the fountain.

2. In the original "NIGHT 68" a zombie picked a snail or something off a tree and ate it and in "NIGHT 90" one zombie ate a live mouse and another zombie next to him started going nuts trying to get the mouse from his mouth. Clearly in these movie zombies did eat "other meat".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-27-04 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1. They also did a panning shot of the Flex place after they kill there buddy in the fountain. We don't see them, but we do see a flash and boom coming from the back room to imply that they handled that zombie being eaten in there.

2. Yeah, in night90 they were eating bugs and so forth. Like I said, the ever expanding myth of zombies. Back in the original or in the 90 remake we didn't see running zombies. Now we do.
Old 03-27-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

City is over run. Where else would you go?

the mall was safe. since they weren't starving they had food. they could of come up with a much better plan to save andy and get more guns and ammo and therefore still have the mall secured.

i guess i don't have that much of a problem with the idea of going off and finding an island, but more so that they really gave no thought about it as far the simple stuff like food, electricity and plumming.
Old 03-27-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1. They also did a panning shot of the Flex place after they kill there buddy in the fountain. We don't see them, but we do see a flash and boom coming from the back room to imply that they handled that zombie being eaten in there.

2. Yeah, in night90 they were eating bugs and so forth. Like I said, the ever expanding myth of zombies. Back in the original or in the 90 remake we didn't see running zombies. Now we do.

1. That was after the zombie attacked Jake. There was still a partiallya eaten person in that room.

2. Right...
Old 03-27-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know they killed the zombie in the closet after they killed Ben Cosey (sp?), the zombie-security guard flailing around in the fountain, but I'm talking about when Jake was checking the door and opened it to find a zombie eating someone in the closet. The feeding zombie jumped at him and he ran the broken croquet mallet underneath his chin. Why didn't the man that was initally being eaten in the closet attack Jake as well? He killed the first zombie and walked out of the store in the span of time that was longer than it took a person to turn.
Old 03-27-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by fallow
I know they killed the zombie in the closet after they killed Ben Cosey (sp?), the zombie-security guard flailing around in the fountain, but I'm talking about when Jake was checking the door and opened it to find a zombie eating someone in the closet. The feeding zombie jumped at him and he ran the broken croquet mallet underneath his chin. Why didn't the man that was initally being eaten in the closet attack Jake as well? He killed the first zombie and walked out of the store in the span of time that was longer than it took a person to turn.

I'm talking about the same person. I don't remember the person being eaten ever rising.
Old 03-27-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Because the mall security capped him. It went like this:

they give the commands to everyone to do there job, they go out looking through the mall and find there buddy who is in the fountain. They cap him in the head. Next shot you see is a panning shot outside of the store where the partially eaten zombie was in the closet. You see a flash and hear gun fire. This is to tell the viewers that the partially eaten guy has been taken care of. In the same store there is an already taken care of zombie with a mallet in his head. So that gun fire can only be for that one guy jake saw being eaten. Next shot is of the "prisioners" painting on the roof.

The guy in the broom closet being eaten was taken care of.
Old 03-27-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, I know; I should've included: "What Giantrobo was saying!" That was for Jack.

Another question that I don't think anyone can really answer: At what point does a zombie stop eating someone? For example, had Vivian not been pushed back and the bedroom door closed, she would have continued chewing on Louis. Do they turn and the zombies just stop?

And it sounded like the zombies started feasting on the corpses they threw off the roof, so why wouldn't they start eating the killed celebrities? Of course, it is possible that the zombies were simply screeching because something landed on their heads.

Last edited by fallow; 03-27-04 at 03:32 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.