Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone up for some Pandora Tomorrow this weekend?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping to pick up a copy tonight or tomorrow, and so I'm looking for some folks to join up with on Live this weekend. Feel free to add my gamertag if you want to play.

gamertag: Calico
Old 03-25-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could play Friday night.

I picked up a copy Wednesday at lunch. I haven't played online yet, but I'm about to go do that right now...
Old 03-25-04, 07:13 PM

Damn.....I picked up the PC version....
Old 03-25-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm considering the PC version...
Old 03-25-04, 08:23 PM

I have the PC version but no one to play online. As the servers only hold 4 at a time it is hard to get into a open game, people are playing with friends. None of mine have it yet.
Old 03-26-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed playing online with the Xbox version last night. It took me some time to get used to it though. My initial thought was "this sucks". Once you learn the gadgets and start to get a feel for playing each side as it was meant to be played, it's incredible.

I would say that it will take time to really get "good" at online play (probably even longer for me). There's more to it than just learning the maps. As a merc, my biggest decision is "what's the best place to put my spy traps?". If I put them too close to the cannisters I'm defending, it's too late by the time it does it's thing and registers the spy on the radar.

I love the teamwork aspect. I jumped into a game last night and was teamed up with a complete stranger. Within minutes we were working together, communicating where we were and exchanging info. Other than the two times that I landed on him from above and nearly took him out, we worked pretty well together. Yeah, we shot each other a few times too. You get pretty focused looking for the spies and when something moves and it's wearing black, you shoot.

Calico: I'll send you a friend invite if you have an open slot. Gamertag: Gromit.

Very, very cool online play. That's my 5 word review.
Old 03-26-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Just started this game yesterday. It took me about 2 hours to finsih the first level in single player. It was amazing. Then I hopped on-line. That was even more amazing. Even though it's 2 on 2, this game is one of the best on-line experiences I've ever had. My gametag is Murdoc if anyone wants to get a game together.
Old 03-26-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try multiplayer yet, but I'd be up for some gaming this weekend.

GamerTag below:
Old 03-26-04, 12:28 PM

The multiplayer is SO much fun. It does take some getting used to though. I was getting my @$$ handed to me for the first few hours. Once you get into the strategy of using all the equipment, and finding different routes (which requires lots of map exploring) then it really gets fun. The patient and methodical approach of being a spy really ratchets up the tension. I love sitting in the ceiling, watching a guard patrol around beneath me, completely oblivious to my presence. What a rush!
Old 03-26-04, 01:36 PM

I havent had time to go out and pick up the game but I'm definitely planning to since I loved the original Splinter Cell so much. Hope to see some of you guys on Live real soon

my gamertag is XLPANDA
Old 03-26-04, 01:40 PM

Figures I'd get sick this week, so I couldn't pick it up yet. Hopefully EB has some in stock.
Old 03-26-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems that a bug in the online mode has been found already. When starting a online game in the optimatch screen, after 10 seconds the games locks up. Ubisoft has recognized the problem and is working on it. You can still play online, just don't use the optimatch mode for now.

Link to bug
Old 03-26-04, 02:53 PM

Count me in !!!!

MY Gametag is SLIMOBY
Old 03-26-04, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by edstein
It seems that a bug in the online mode has been found already. When starting a online game in the optimatch screen, after 10 seconds the games locks up. Ubisoft has recognized the problem and is working on it. You can still play online, just don't use the optimatch mode for now.

Link to bug
I heard about that bug today, but honestly, I rarely use optimatch since I typically will only play against folks on my friends list.
Old 03-27-04, 11:28 AM

<----xbox live username

I should be on after 9:00pm est tonight...feel free to send me an invite.
Old 03-27-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
I saw in a review that you can have an unbalanced 3-on-1 match and of course knew that the max per game is 4. My question is : can you have 2 on 1 or 1 on 1 matches as well?
Old 03-27-04, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Decker
I saw in a review that you can have an unbalanced 3-on-1 match and of course knew that the max per game is 4. My question is : can you have 2 on 1 or 1 on 1 matches as well?
Yep, All of the above as long as it doesn't go over two. The 2 mercenaries to 1 Spy games, can be a real challenge for spies.
Old 03-27-04, 10:27 PM

We played a few rounds of 2 mercs vs 1 spy today and it was pretty good. The trick is to jack up the time limit, there's no way a single spy player will enjoy a game like this if they only have ten minutes to try and get the job done. Actually, even in 2 on 2, 10 minutes really isn't enough (unless you have the maps completely memorized).

This is really one of the most challenging multiplayer games I've seen. It's got something for everyone, and really requires you to think. My buddy and I got stomped last night for not playing strategically. You also have to learn the best combos of gadgets to get the job done.

Gamertag: Calico (AKA.."easy way to pad your point totals in most games")

Last edited by Calico; 03-27-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-28-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game was more fun when no one knew what they were doing.

We need to set up a DVDTalk game. I'm spending more time trying to find a game than I am playing the game itself. No one wants to be a mercenary, so I end up in games against level 3 spies.

One game tonight involved 2 guys that just needed to get a room (and not a gaming room). They spent the entire time in the lobby going on and on about how quickly they netralized the cannisters against two level 1 mercs (they were both level 3 and refused to break up the lovefest). After hearing them compliment each other for winning in less than two minutes, my teammate left. Then they started on about "the two us vs. Gromit, this is going to be great". I couldn't take any more after that.

Then there are the losers who can't stand the thought of not being the best at a video game, so they disconnect when things don't go their way.

I guess it's like this with most Live games, if you don't have any friends who want to play, it's often a waste of time.
Old 03-28-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's why I'll never pay for online play. It's fun when it goes well, but so many times people are just idiots.
Old 03-29-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is anyone interested in playing tonight at 9:30 eastern? At least one other person would be nice and if we can get 4 total, even better.
Old 03-29-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I haven't picked this up yet but I definitely will in the next couple of weeks. I was hoping that Best Buy or Circuit City would be running a 10 bucks off sale this week but they did not. Maybe next week.

Once the sale is run, I will be there with you and I am not a cord-puller.

I didn't think about this but have any of you bought a game & then just price-matched with the sale price or the gift certificate inclusion within the 30 days? i may just do that. God knows someone will run a special within the next 30 days I would figure.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 03-29-04 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-08-04, 09:09 PM
Banned

Anyone wanna play tonight, my gamertag is JPRaup, add me to your list and i will accept and inivte you to my game
Old 04-08-04, 11:12 PM

I'm going to be trying to set up some games tomorrow night after 8pm PST. Just add me to your friends list if you're interested. I don't mind playing either side, but I'm still level 1 as I haven't played a ton yet online, so don't expect great gameplay from me.
Old 04-08-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Calico, I might be up for some pathetic attempts at gameplay tomorrow night; esp if my wife is still outta town . I'll add you to my Friends list now...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.