Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Horror movies . . . Yes or No?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you like watching horror movies?
I love 'em all! Give me more . . . MORE . . . MORE!!!
47.62%
I like the more thought-provoking, psychological, and/or suspenseful ones.
41.90%
I like the nasty, gruesome, slasher types.
10.48%
I love to be scared!
20.00%
No way! I hate getting scared!
3.81%
Nope . . . boooooring . . .
6.67%
I don't like them any more or less than any other movie . . .
6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all of the hubbub going on about Dawn Of The Dead I was curious to see what the general concensus is about horror movies.

Personally, I find most horror movies pretty boring mostly because I tend to find them unrealistic, predictable, and a little short on plot. The only ones that really catch my attention are ones that sort of "mess with your head" (e.g., The Blair Witch Project, The Seventh Seal, etc.), but even those ones I don't find to be scary, just more interesting.

So what does everyone else think?
Old 03-25-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
What's next? "Comedies: Yay or Nay?" ?
Old 03-25-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Horror movies are hard to specify a lot of times. Some people see Silence of the Lambs as horror and others as psychological thriller. I like to think of it as horror because it makes it cooler that it one Best Picture that way.

What I am looking for is a beautiful woman who LOVES horror movies. Can't say I'm having much luck with finding one that is both that and single.
Old 03-25-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love them all! Cheesy or not I'll watch it.
Old 03-25-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love my horror movies. Granted, I don't like all of them...horror movies aren't really usually the cream of the crop in filmmaking. But any variety, if good, I like. I tend to be more forgiving to the more schlocky gore movies though, as long as they give me the goods in atmosphere and gore. Then I can forgive plot and acting issues. Not on the psychological horror though...then you better be a bit more decent.
Old 03-25-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
What's next? "Comedies: Yay or Nay?" ?
Just to clarify, the reason why I am asking is that I don't get why people like horror movies as much as they seem to, so I was hoping to get a little more insight into why they do. Comedy I think is a little more broadly liked than horror, so, yes, as you seem to be implying, it would be a silly poll.

In any case, I'm sorry that you don't seem to approve.
Old 03-25-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't stop watching even if they are bad... I just find the genre fascinating and I wish that The Innocents (1961) by Jack Clayton could get a Criterion treatment...
Old 03-25-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
"Oh my my my my my"
Old 03-25-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love a good horror movie; unfortunately the latest ones that I saw were mediocre to average at best (The Order, Wrong Turn, and the god awful Cabin Fever...). I still rent them because sometimes I just want to switch my brain off and relax.

I enjoyed the remake of "Dawn" but thought it was more an "Action zombie" flick than pure horror.

What does it for me is the psychological horror or "images" that stay in my head long after seeing the movie.

-The Ring: was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it. Then I had that silly evil girl in my head for a week

-Jaws: saw it when I was way too young... I wouldn't even go in a swimming pool for a month after seeing it heh.

-Invasion of the body snatchers (1979): that ending messed me up for a while, I had Donald Sutherland's face imprinted in my head for 2 weeks.

-Angel Heart: the pointing baby in the end...

To name a few,

Cheers!
Old 03-25-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm sorry that you don't seem to approve.
are you really? Personally if someone didn't care for a vauge question I ask I wouldn't care. To answer your question it's a taste. different strokes for different folks and in the long run it is what entertains someone. You may not personally like sushi, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth being around.

What do people like about horror? there is that feeling of unknown. You don't know what can happen to the characters and in a sense, the same situation can very well be you since most of the situations are based on the crazy killer who can very well be the guy sitting next to you. You can relate to the characters feelings.

People like to be scared. The rush they feel when the shock hits. This is the same reason rollercosters are popular. It's for thrill seekers.
Old 03-25-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
What I am looking for is a beautiful woman who LOVES horror movies. Can't say I'm having much luck with finding one that is both that and single.
And let me add... local.

They are few and far between. For me, they don't have to be beautiful. Pleasant-looking is fine

Anyhoo... I've loved horror movies since I was a kid. Still love 'em. I've always wished I knew what it felt like to see Frankenstein and Dracula back when they were FIRST released in theaters. Man, that musta been a trip seeing something like that.
Old 03-25-04, 06:32 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The Seventh Seal is a horror movie?
Old 03-25-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it was supposed to be The Seventh Sign? Anyway, horror movies aren't really scary anymore, I guess I've been desensitized. The last one I actually had some chills with was The Ring.
Old 03-25-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
i love horror movies.
Old 03-25-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

are you really? Personally if someone didn't care for a vauge question I ask I wouldn't care.
Well I'm not all broken up about it, but do try to avoid upsetting people, even if I don't know them.
To answer your question it's a taste. different strokes for different folks and in the long run it is what entertains someone. You may not personally like sushi, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth being around.
I have no problem with horror movies "existing", I just have never understood why people seemed to be so attracted to them, because I never really have been. The box office performance of The Dawn Of The Dead this weekend got me thinking about it again. So I thought I would check 1) to see how many others out there feel the same way that I do and 2) try to get a better idea of why the things that don't appeal to me, appeal to others.

On a side note, I'm actually not a huge fan of sushi.
Originally posted by matome
Maybe it was supposed to be The Seventh Sign?
Dammit! Yeah . . . that's the one . . . I always mix those two up.
Old 03-25-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Plain and simple, it's a human emotion. Fear. People like to be scared. Just like people like to laugh, people like to care (about the character) etc. etc.

that's why horror movies are popular.
Old 03-25-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 03-25-04, 08:55 PM
Retired

Nope. Easily my least favorite genre of movies. Most of them I just find incredibly stupid and boring.
Old 03-25-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I don't know if she's single or not, but there is our very own WhoGirl:

I don't consider myself a Horror fan. I do watch the occasional zombie flick or psychological-type thriller.
Old 03-25-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care for horror movies. I'm more into suspensful movies or movies where unspeakable horror is off camera.
Old 03-25-04, 11:30 PM

the horror genre is just like all genres, most of the movies are boring crap, many of my favorite movies happen to be in the horror genre, I don't understand lots of peoples opinions (ex: david lynch movies) but I am not starting threads about it

I am actually really excited about dotd doing well at the box office, zombie movies are my favorite sub-genre, and its going to be a great year for zombie fans: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead, resident evil 2, undead, and many more on the horizon
Old 03-26-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm.... lets your mind wander from everyday boredom into a world of imagination and excitement .... gets the blood rushing through your body ... adrenelin rush .... heart beating faster ....

Wait a minute - was the original question about horror movies or about sex?
Old 03-26-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like them any more or less than any other movie . . .
Old 03-26-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I love anything horror/psychological thriller myself. The more blood or mind-f**king, the better.
Old 03-26-04, 07:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Horror movies?

Given my druthers, I'll take the whore.

(this joke works better spoken aloud)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.