Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Oddest Song Censorship?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Oddest Song Censorship?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddest Song Censorship?

Watching the Chappelle show last night and Snoop was on rapping "187" his 1st song with Dre.... Good song, but I found it really odd that they blepped out "87" whenever he said 187.. If I remember correctly 187 is police code for homicide in LA or something, but it seemed odd to bleep out numbers.. Anyone else think of some wierd censorship for songs? Not talking about outright profanity or sensitive material like "cop killer" The main one would be Louie Louie that comes to mind
Old 03-25-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Let's not forget The Rolling Stones having to change "Let's Spend The Night Together" to "Let's Spend Some Time Together"

No THAT'S silly
Old 03-25-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
When MTV played videos that weren't hip-hop or boy bands...well, when they played *videos*, I remember they muted out a word in Iron Maiden's 'Tailgunner'.
The line goes
Nail that Fokker kill that son.
Gonna blow your guts out with my gun

And of course rather than recognizing that a Fokker was a type of warplane, and hoping that Maiden fans/MTV watchers would realize that, they muted that word out.
Old 03-25-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dtcarson
When MTV played videos that weren't hip-hop or boy bands...well, when they played *videos*, I remember they muted out a word in Iron Maiden's 'Tailgunner'.
The line goes
Nail that Fokker kill that son.
Gonna blow your guts out with my gun

And of course rather than recognizing that a Fokker was a type of warplane, and hoping that Maiden fans/MTV watchers would realize that, they muted that word out.

In defense of MTV at the time (I can't believe i'm actually defending MTV) when the song is sung, Fokker sounds a lot like fu***r (intentional or not I don't know). And the Tailgunner shirt from that tour (which I proudly own) says "Shoot That Fokker" in the back, but the design has bullit holes on it convienently placed to make fokker look like fu***r. so I think it is an intentional play on words by Steve and the boys.
Old 03-25-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And here is how bad Stan is on mtv
"**** ** *****, I'm trying to talk. Hey slim, thats my girlfriend ******* ** *** ****, but I didn't **** her *******, I just **** her up if she **********, she'll ****** more, and then she'll *** to."
Here is how that part actually goes
"shut up bitch, I'm trying to talk. Hey Slim, thats my girlfriend screaming in the trunk, but I didn't slit her throught, I just tied her up, but if she sufficates, she'll suffer more and then she'll die to."
Old 03-25-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
On page 2 or 3 of this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=354383
Old 03-25-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what first comes to mind is the censoring of weezer's "hashpipe"... bleeping out the "hash" of course... seems harmless compared to the words "bitch", "ass", etc. that they let slide.
Old 03-25-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hollowgen
what first comes to mind is the censoring of weezer's "hashpipe"... bleeping out the "hash" of course... seems harmless compared to the words "bitch", "ass", etc. that they let slide.
I think D.R.U.G.S are a real sore point. Slapping yo' bitche's ass and bikini mud wrestling drunk on Spring Break are much more suitable activities... according to "the MTV".

A similar case is "You might as well do the WHITE LINE" line in "Cigarettes and Alcohol" by Oasis. Fairly unintelligable line is made infinitely more attention grabbing by being CENSORED.

Original version was more like "Year my-is well-ooo la waar laaarn-eine" ... I could never tell what they were singing about anyway!

Old 03-25-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a non-TV related example, and maybe not one that affected that many listeners, but when Osaka's Boredoms released their first EP, Anal By Anal in '86, the last track, "Born To Anal" ended with essentially unintelligible English lyrics that turned out to be: "Chest out of you f**k on you wave, all right!" When Warner Brothers re-released the EP in '94 while the band was part of Lollapalooza, the song was shortened to end before that last line. So on an eight-year-old album with an obvious anal fixation(the other songs were "Anal Eater" and "God From Anal") and some undeniably unusual lyrics, like "I can cut down my fingers/I can put a needle inside my p**s hole," it was the completely nonsensical use of the word "f**k" that was deemed most harmful.
Old 03-26-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Hollowgen
At first I assumed the title of the song was "Asspipe."
Old 03-26-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i've always hated radio's censorship of Everlast's "What It's Like". it was a decent song but totally butchered by radio. "colt 45", "green", and "balls".