TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - 3/23/04 - "Country Night"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Idol - 3/23/04 - "Country Night"

Tonight's theme is Country music.

Let's hear your predictions on who will do well, who won't and who will be eliminated.

Will Do Well:
Diana
Jon Peter
Jasmine
Amy

Good Enough to Get By:
John Stevens
Matt Rodgers
George (if he picks the right song, otherwise he won't do well)

Won't Do Well:
Jennifer
Fantasia
Camile
LaToya

Eliminated:
Jennifer
Old 03-23-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,369 Likes on 931 Posts
Country?
Old 03-23-04, 08:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Generally, if somebody hits the bottom three one week, they don't get voted out the next week...regardless of how bad they do. Their fans realize that they are in trouble and rally around their favorite.

Which means Jennifer and Amy are probably safe this week, regardless of what else goes down.
Old 03-23-04, 10:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just hope they don't cop out and fill it with songs that aren't really country (like Drift Away and Sweet Home Alabama last year).
Old 03-23-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Any list with Fantasia in any other column than "Will Dominate" is destined to be off the mark.
Old 03-23-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a big difference between southern rock and country (per the 2 examples above are southern rock).
Old 03-23-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: American Idol - 3/23/04 - "Country Night"

Originally posted by Struz
Tonight's theme is Country music.

Let's hear your predictions on who will do well, who won't and who will be eliminated.

Will Do Well:

Jennifer
John Stevens
Camile

Good Enough to Get By:
LaToya
George
Fantasia
Jasmine

Won't Do Well:
John Peter
Matt
Diana
Amy

Eliminated:
Amy
Old 03-23-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No! Not my Amy!

Maybe Jennifer will get the boot instead.
Old 03-23-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: American Idol - 3/23/04 - "Country Night"

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing

Won't Do Well:

John Peter
Matt
Diana
Amy
How do figure these 4 won't do well ?
Diana is from Georgia. Has a thick southern accent and has probably been singing country songs her whole life.

Matt, John and Amy will all do well because Country doesn't require screeming and holding notes for 10 minutes.
Old 03-23-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
There is a big difference between southern rock and country (per the 2 examples above are southern rock).
Agreed.
I wonder who determines what category a song falls in ?
Old 03-23-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
No! Not my Amy!

Maybe Jennifer will get the boot instead.
Amy has a very good voice but needs to dye her hair one color (preferably brown, black or blonde) if she wants to be taken seriously. She looks like a clown.
Old 03-23-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DRG
I just hope they don't cop out and fill it with songs that aren't really country (like Drift Away and Sweet Home Alabama last year).
Last week, they played pretty fast & loose with the "soul" category as well. Just because a black artist did it, doesn't mean it is "soul".

I still don't understand all the Amy love on this board. I think she's terrible, her singing makes me cringe. AND she looks like Bea Arthur with Kelly Osbourne hair.
Old 03-23-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Placing Diana in the "won't do well" category for country music is probably just wishful thinking.
Old 03-23-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: American Idol - 3/23/04 - "Country Night"

Originally posted by Struz
How do figure these 4 won't do well ?
Diana is from Georgia. Has a thick southern accent and has probably been singing country songs her whole life.

Matt, John and Amy will all do well because Country doesn't require screeming and holding notes for 10 minutes.
The reason I put these four in the "won't do well" category mostly comes down to song choice.

JPL has mastered poor song choice for weeks now and should continue with that trend. Besides, of all male contestants, his voice is the most pop-oriented. While this can work well for most of the female singers (with material from Shania and Faith Hill, for ex., to chose from), its less inclusive for the guys. Few male country musicians have crossed over in recent years. The Kermit the Frog tone to his voice works against him here. He sounds best when doing Motown or Aaron Neville-style material.

Matt could get away well with a relatively middle-of-the-road number, but his arrogance doesn't work well for him. To prove himself from last week, he'll once again try to tackle a song with attitude (I'm guessing a Charlie Daniels number) and, like last week, will fail at it. He's better off with that MOR soul-pop stuff.

Amy's voice is too far into Celene Dion territory to be useful for much outside of that. Most female pop-country singers tend to sing at a lower octave than Amy. When she attempts Faith Hill's "Breathe" tonight (I'd almost bet my left testicle on it), her limitations will show through.

As for Diana...yeah, you'd think she'd do pretty good. But, as with Amy, she may have a slight disadvantage here. She hasn't tackled much yet in a more contemporary pop vein. Her numbers up to now have focused on more upbeat material. And I'm starting to wonder if its for a reason. I guess she could do a Shania number like "That Don't Impress Me Much" and pull it off. But its not a show-off number, and would likely come across as "safe" and "weak." She needs to attempt something with less attitude and more range, and I'm wondering if the subtlety needed is there. She may be too young or inexperienced vocally to succeed. I'd guess, at this point, she'll try calling Jewel country music, and attempt "Foolish Games." And I'm skeptical if she can pull that off, accent or no accent.

Contrary to the suggestion from Patman, I'd love to see Diana go far. She has been the single most consistent performer so far, and though I am personally pulling for George in the long run, she is a close #2.

Amy will go largely since the followings for the others are pretty much established already. She's much more on the fence than the others.
Old 03-23-04, 02:01 PM

Country music night and Steven "Cujo" Cojocaru giving all the finalists fashion makeovers. Does it get any better than that.
Old 03-23-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Country Night" will show the vocal range (that being a totally different range) of the performers, but if someone I like bombs, I will still vote for them.
Old 03-23-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How the hell is "teen" Martin gonna get by singing Garth Brook's country twang??

..is he gonna snap his fingers and swing it??..This should be interesting

Let's hope they choose "pop" country songs like Shania Twain or Faith Hill as oppose to that hillbilly southern crap like Alan Jackson or Clint Black..

..I'm assuming every guy is gonna sing with them big ole' hat too??...hee haw howdy partner!
Old 03-23-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shanester
How the hell is "teen" Martin gonna get by singing Garth Brook's country twang??

..is he gonna snap his fingers and swing it??..This should be interesting

You should trademark it now....Teen Martin! Brilliant!

As mentioned in previous posts, given his voice, he is more likely to try his hand at Patsy Cline. More apropos to his voice.

I'm guessing tonight will be one of his best performances. In fact, I'd bet a testicle but I already did that a couple of posts back and don't want to leave myself hanging (so to speak).
Old 03-23-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think your testicle(s) appreciate any wagering restraint you can muster up...
Old 03-23-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have been calling him Teen Martin since day one over at TWOP (Television Without Pity). I tried to use it a few times here, but "Red" seemed to stick.

Agreed he should stick with Patsy Cline.
Old 03-23-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Red should go with "Blue" *tee hee*
Old 03-23-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,792 Likes on 1,921 Posts
They need to have a frickin' heavy metal night.
Old 03-23-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Heavy metal would be terrable. It would sound more like Kareoke(sp?) then the standard theme night already does.
Old 03-23-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Poor Red John forgot the words, but still got good reviews from the judges.

But boy does he have NO PERSONALITY, just one word answers to Ryan over at side stage won't cut it. And that's right after Simon tells him he needs to get his personality over.
Old 03-23-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My girlfriend didn't realize that he forgot the words, but I did. As soon as they said that he would be singing King of the Road, I knew that he would do a good job, since it is a good song for his voice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.