Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is this moire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this moire?

I posted this problem a little while ago but didn't get a whole lot of help. I blamed the problem on interference in my house or with the cables or something but I'm getting a little annoyed by it again.

I started moving the T.V. around a bit to see if it was interference but the problem didn't go away.

The T.V. in question is a Toshiba 27AF43 which is a 27" Flat CRT model bought around October 2003.

I took another picture of the lines that are showing up while watching DVD's mainly. The lines I am talking about are at the lower part of the tube and you should see a wavy pattern.

We also have another Toshiba that is about a year older then this one but is a 32" and doesn't have all the same features but it's the same type 32" flat CRT. The problem doesn't show up on that one at all. I've tried different DVD players as well and it doesn't make any difference.

I'm wondering if this is a moire problem and if it is common on most T.V's?

The lines only really show up in really dark scenes or where there is a big portion of one colour.

Is it worth bringing the T.V. back and trying a new one? Would be kind of a pain and I've heard moire is sort of a common thing. If it's just something I need to learn to ignore then I'm fine with that but if it's not a common thing I want to get it fixed before the 1 year warrenty is up if I can.
Old 03-19-04, 10:32 PM

umm.. that is not common and if it were I would shoot myself because that would drive me batty! I remember you posting about this.. I would say take it back and get a new one, you shouldn't have to put up with that for the rest of the life of the set.

Just to be sure, have you tried a different set of a/v cables with your dvd player? Some low end cables could give you this effect.

Last edited by PhYbEr; 03-19-04 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-20-04, 11:10 PM

Here's a page with examples of moire.

Link

And if the pattern looks like a picture of Dean Martin,

That's Amore

(sorry, couldn't resist!)