Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Is All The Rock Music Out Today So Whiney?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm getting older. But everytime I turn on the rock/alternative rock stations, the music is all about someone being crazy, someone not being mentally OK, how horrible life is, how terrible the world is. And it's always accompanied by the same type of singer. Some whiney-something 20 year old male who only seems to live for depair.

Are kids really that depressed nowadays that they want to listen to this crap? I've never heard it so bad.

I thought the 80's were bad, but even that stuff seems better than what kids are putting out today.
Old 03-19-04, 12:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Teens today are whiny brats who feel they are entitled to all the privledges of being adults without any of the responsibilities. As a result, the music caters to that attitude.
Old 03-19-04, 01:54 PM

It's the "pussification" of the American Male. Hell you can't even make your hand look like a gun and not get suspended in school nowadays. Fistfight??? That may get you 5-10 in juvie.

I agree....too many songs whining about stuff and not enough piss and vinegar.
Old 03-19-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hmurchison
It's the "pussification" of the American Male. Hell you can't even make your hand look like a gun and not get suspended in school nowadays. Fistfight??? That may get you 5-10 in juvie.

If anything, this is very macho rage.
Old 03-19-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by hmurchison

George Cariln quote? it sounds familiar.
Old 03-19-04, 02:37 PM

shifrbv, do you have any support for your argument? Now, I say this as someone who has given up on radio because I don't enjoy the music they're playing now, so our musical tastes (and perhaps ages) are similar. But how is the music on the radio now different from, say, the early '90s when grunge was in its heyday?

I have two issues with your argument:
1) If you listen only to "rock/alternative" stations, you're missing a bunch of pop music which isn't whiny. (Again, this is partially just a guess because I don't listen to the radio.) But from what I can tell music from Britney/John Mayer/Sheryl Crow (rock music of a different type) gets played on different stations than Linkin Park/Creed/etc. It's possible that the radio spectrum is much more segregated than it used to be.
2) You seem to be defining music by what's on the radio to the exclusion of all the music that's made that doesn't make it to the radio. (If your argument is more that what's played on the radio must be what's most popular, ergo, depressing music is most popular, I don't have as strong a response.)

I think teens are always going to be whiny. And I don't think they're any more or less whiny than they used to be. (And I say that as someone whose child is closer to their teen years than I am to my own.)
Old 03-19-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good points, SAShepherd.
Old 03-19-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blame John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band.
Old 03-19-04, 03:59 PM
Suspended

It amazes me people still listen to the radio for music.
Old 03-19-04, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by SAShepherd
But how is the music on the radio now different from, say, the early '90s when grunge was in its heyday?
I should also note that although I don't care about the music from Nickelback/Incubus/etc. now, I really liked grunge then. And, aside from occasionally feeling the need to pull out a Nirvana album, don't listen to it now. So I do think there is a not insignificant age factor associated with this...

Again, I say this as a person whose musical tastes are probably pretty close to yours. I just think that when you say, "maybe it's just me," I think you're right. (It's just me, too.)