Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Unreal Tournament 2004 Problem...Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-04, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unreal Tournament 2004 Problem...Help!!

I can't get the game to get past the splash screen. Starts to load and then exits. I'm reading a lot of complaints about this on the official Unreal Tournament board and supposively people are saying that the tech support is blaming it on people's personal computers. I have all the latest drivers and I still can't get it to play. Anyone else having that problem here and figure out a way to get it to play? The demo played fine on my machine. Starting to look like I wasted $40 on this game.
Old 03-17-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would probably help if you mentioned your system specs.
Old 03-17-04, 09:12 AM

Here's my specs:
Intel P4 2.8 GHZ
1 GB of 400 DDR Ram
9700 Pro ATI All in Wonder Card
Audigy 2 Sounblaster Platinum EX
Asus P4P800 Deluxe MOBO
Windows XP

I updated last night with all the latest drivers too. Noting is overclocked!

Last edited by Cyberock; 03-17-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-17-04, 09:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Did you update your drivers before or after you had problems?

Sometimes it's necessary to roll back to older drivers.

Is there anything in your SYSTEM/UT2004.log file?

Here's a thread on the official forum about the same problem you are having:

Link
Old 03-17-04, 09:19 AM

Actually I had old drivers at first. I updated my drivers after the game wouldn't work. Then I tried uninstalling the game and installing again and still didn't work. Seems like a lot of people are having problems with this one from the Atari forums I've been reading. UT2004 log is blank too.
Old 03-17-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
Ermmm...

from the Atari forum linked by Groucho above
I have a success!!!

I think the problem is with the copy protection. For some reason we just dont seem to be getting a error message. www.gamecopyworld.com now has a no cd patch for UT2004. Guess what, I used it and now appear to be problem free. I haven't really played yet, thought I'd at least post first, but it is running. This has fixed the problem on both my computers.

One thing though, I'm running the CD version and I dont know if there is a difference between CD and DVD as far as the copy protection works.

Well... to software piracy groups. They posted a fix even before Atari replied to the post
Old 03-17-04, 10:13 AM

Saw that message too and tried that no cd hack. It works!!! Looks like Atari screwed up on this one.
Old 03-17-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What type of drive are you using? I heard that the new Splinter Cell game will only install off of a non-writable source. CD and DVD burners will not work. Maybe this is the problem here as well.
Old 03-17-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if they are just going to remove the copy protection like they did with UT2003. UT2003 needs the CD unless you update to the latest version, then you no longer need the cd to run the game.
Old 03-17-04, 11:33 AM

I got the dvd version and I tried it in my regular dvd drive and my writable dvd drive and no difference. This was a real joke in my mind for Atari top pull this crap.
Old 03-17-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cyberock
I got the dvd version and I tried it in my regular dvd drive and my writable dvd drive and no difference. This was a real joke in my mind for Atari top pull this crap.
Atari, at this point is just a publisher, in fact they are more of a 'label' than a publisher even. Blame Epic, if anyone.
Old 03-17-04, 11:39 AM

I remember that Diablo 2 had an almost identical fiasco. I felt like a criminal downloading a NO-CD patch for a game I had bought legally.

The good news is that at least there's an easy solution.

The bad news is that software companies still haven't learned that "copy protection" only hurts legit customers, and does nothing to stop piracy. It only took ONE DAY for the crack to come out!
Old 03-17-04, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by flashburn
Atari, at this point is just a publisher, in fact they are more of a 'label' than a publisher even. Blame Epic, if anyone.
The publisher is responsible for copy protection, not the developer. In this case, you can blame Atari (and Securom, the copy protection company).
Old 03-17-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
The bad news is that software companies still haven't learned that "copy protection" only hurts legit customers, and does nothing to stop piracy. It only took ONE DAY for the crack to come out!
word!
Old 03-17-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
The publisher is responsible for copy protection, not the developer. In this case, you can blame Atari (and Securom, the copy protection company).
So Atari is the company that actually implemented the copy protection? I wasn't even aware Atari at this point was more than a label. If so, I stand corrected.
Old 03-17-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by edstein
What type of drive are you using? I heard that the new Splinter Cell game will only install off of a non-writable source. CD and DVD burners will not work. Maybe this is the problem here as well.
this is bullshit, if it's true. I buy all my games, but I'm the one getting burned? all i have are writable drives, a pioneer 107 for my DVD drive and a 52x lite-on for my cd drive. do you have a link to an article about this?
Old 03-17-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
this is bullshit, if it's true. I buy all my games, but I'm the one getting burned? all i have are writable drives, a pioneer 107 for my DVD drive and a 52x lite-on for my cd drive. do you have a link to an article about this?
This isn't confirmed but, I read a user review on amazon.com. Link
Old 03-17-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, CD copy protection is crappy. I love the few games I have that only need the CD when you're downloading a patch or new content. It can seriously slow down a game as well...
Old 03-18-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually load nocd cracks for most games I play. It's just more convenient. It's total BS that game publishers do this even with a game that is essentially pointless without a valid CD Key.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that rumor about a game not being playable in a writeable drive. That's just stupid.
Old 03-18-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I don't like CD keys either (I've gotten a few games that had one missing) but at least I can understand the reasons there.
Old 03-18-04, 11:14 AM

FWIW I have the UT2K4 SE and it works fine. System has a Toshiba DVD rom and a Lite-On 851S burner. Pre-ordered from EB and got the right version.

Not trying to gloat just thought I would point it out to soothe some fear that they may all be botched. May be just a certain pressing.

5.5 Gig install though, get the dvd version. Game has the sweetest textures.