Reload this Page >

A few questions for Dish customers...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-16-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am doing an article for a journalism class on the dish canceling MTV and Nick. I need customer feedback for the article, and was hoping you guys could give me some.

1. when did they take these channels away?

2. Did they give you a heads up on when they were going to take them away?

3. DId your bill go down since they took away channels, or did they replace them with other channels?

4. What was the official reason they stated for doing it?

5. have you spoken with anyone in Customer Service at Dish, and what did they say?

6. Are you staying a subscriber?

7. Have you considered switching to Cable?

8. Are you Angry, or could you care less? (I know most will be angry, but I assume there are some of you that couldn't care less)

To anyone who answers these for me, I appreciate the trouble...

Nick
Old 03-17-04, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A few questions for Dish customers...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ivelostr2

Tue, Mar 9th.

2. Did they give you a heads up on when they were going to take them away?

No, the only warning I noticed was placed by Viacom on the applicable channels that Echostar/Dish Network was threatening to remove them. Eventually Dish Network placed a black box over this warning.

3. DId your bill go down since they took away channels, or did they replace them with other channels?

From what I understood, if the channels were still absent at the end of the billing month, they were going to offer a $1 offset. No, they didn't replace the channels.

Extortion by Viacom.

5. have you spoken with anyone in Customer Service at Dish, and what did they say?

No.

6. Are you staying a subscriber?

For the time being.

7. Have you considered switching to Cable?

No, way. In my area, a box is required by cable for digital service.

8. Are you Angry, or could you care less? (I know most will be angry, but I assume there are some of you that couldn't care less)

I was at first, but we decided to give them a few days to 'fix' the problem which they did. So, now it was just a minor convenience.
Old 03-17-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A few questions for Dish customers...

Originally posted by ivelostr2
...the dish canceling MTV and Nick.

2. ...when they were going to take them away?

3. ...DId your bill go down since they took away channels

I am somewhat frightened that you are a student of journalism, when the whole premise of your wording is at worst biased, or at least journalistically irresponsible.

Dish didn't "take them away". Viacom refused to let them air these channels (including CBS in the markets where the local station is owned by Viacom, of which Austin is one of them) due to disagreement on what Dish would pay Viacom for the rights to rebroadcast their stations, and a requirement to add additional channels in the package that Dish wasn't exactly interested in paying for.

And all channels were restored as the new agreement was signed within 36-48 hours. Did anyone really think anyone would miss the NCAA Tourney?

In the several days leading up to the "shutoff", the Viacom stations (on DISH, local cable, DirecTV, everywhere) placed a bottom-of-the-screen scroll that said that "You may soon lose the following channels: BET, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Nick at Nite and many more channels from Nickelodeon and MTV. Call and tell Dish Network that you want to keep the network channels that you paid for!" What they really meant "DISH won't pay us what we want them to for these channels".

The official notification from DISH came after the channels were removed, at one minute after midnight, on March 9th. Each channel gone was replaced with a text screen explaining that
Viacom had demanded rate increases which werer "unreasonable and would contribute to a higher monthly bill for you." The slate said EchoStar hopes to resolve the dispute quickly and directed subscribers to the DISH Network Web site for more information.

The final response from DISH is still sitting on their website, and I assume will be happily duplicated in the next monthly billing envelope.
Your CBS and MTV Networks Are Back! Message from Charlie Ergen, CEO of DISH Network
Dear Loyal DISH Network Customers,

I am very pleased to announce that we’ve successfully reached a long-term agreement with Viacom to provide you with CBS and MTV Network channels including MTV, Comedy Central, and Nickelodeon. I am happy to say that this agreement will allow us to continue to provide you the lowest all-digital price everyday.

I understand that it has been a difficult 36 hours to be without these popular channels. We appreciate your patience, your support for DISH Network and your continued business.

As promised, you will receive a $1 credit on your next billing statement. In addition, we would like to thank you for all of your support by sending you a free DISH On Demand Pay-Per-View coupon that will allow you to view upcoming hits like “Cat in the Hat” and “School of Rock.” The coupon will arrive in your April billing statement. Enjoy a movie on us.

Everyone at DISH Network will continue to fight to provide the best possible programming and services at the lowest possible price, every day.

Thank you for your loyalty and thank you for being a DISH Network customer.
Charlie Ergen
CEO
DISH Network
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...es/index.shtml
Old 03-17-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: A few questions for Dish customers...

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I am somewhat frightened that you are a student of journalism, when the whole premise of your wording is at worst biased, or at least journalistically irresponsible.

Dish didn't "take them away". Viacom refused to let them air these channels (including CBS in the markets where the local station is owned by Viacom, of which Austin is one of them) due to disagreement on what Dish would pay Viacom for the rights to rebroadcast their stations, and a requirement to add additional channels in the package that Dish wasn't exactly interested in paying for.

And all channels were restored as the new agreement was signed within 36-48 hours. Did anyone really think anyone would miss the NCAA Tourney?

In the several days leading up to the "shutoff", the Viacom stations (on DISH, local cable, DirecTV, everywhere) placed a bottom-of-the-screen scroll that said that "You may soon lose the following channels: BET, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Nick at Nite and many more channels from Nickelodeon and MTV. Call and tell Dish Network that you want to keep the network channels that you paid for!" What they really meant "DISH won't pay us what we want them to for these channels".

The official notification from DISH came after the channels were removed, at one minute after midnight, on March 9th. Each channel gone was replaced with a text screen explaining that
Viacom had demanded rate increases which werer "unreasonable and would contribute to a higher monthly bill for you." The slate said EchoStar hopes to resolve the dispute quickly and directed subscribers to the DISH Network Web site for more information.

The final response from DISH is still sitting on their website, and I assume will be happily duplicated in the next monthly billing envelope.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...es/index.shtml
I am not a student of Journalism, i am taking a Journalism class. BIG difference. I'm an English Lit major, used to writing papers that are not unbiased (does that make sense, this is new to me). I am just looking for a story, and this seemed like one, but Iguess not.
Old 03-18-04, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go ahead with your biased story!

Good practice for when you score that job at Fox News!