Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

21 Grams - Blind Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
21 Grams - Blind Buy?

I really wanted to see this in theaters, but it was never released anywhere near me. It looks like the kind of movie that I would absolutely love. I was planning on buying it blind, but then they pulled all the extra features which leads me to believe that a better release is coming, possibly a Criterion release (since Universal is involved I wouldn't doubt that they'd do the same thing that they did with Traffic - first release had a few features and then the Criterion one came). Should I just not worry about a future release and buy it or should I just rent it and try to hold off buying until later?

Last edited by bjh_18; 03-16-04 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Blind rental. I've seen it, and can't say I'd want to watch it repeatedly again. It's sort of emotionally grueling in some respects.
Old 03-16-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
It is emotionally gruelling, but I've decided I do want to own it as I think it easily contains the best collection of acting performances in the last five years. Penn, Watts and Del Toro are absolutely stunning.
Old 03-16-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen it in the theatres but also bought it because of what was said about this film...incredible performances. Especially Naomi Watts' breasts...they really "stood" out.
Old 03-16-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Especially Naomi Watts' breasts...they really "stood" out.
HAHA, yeah I noticed that too. I rented it tonight and really liked it. It's a lot more interesting than other Oscar films this year and I though Naomi did a great job, as did Sean Penn. I would reccomend for those who like it a lot, just a rental for me though. I am so glad Universal continues to screw up their great movies by lame dvds, hey at least we get lame forced trailors, those are better than any extra feature.
Old 03-16-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished watching this tonight which I rented at Blockbuster. I was blown away from all the acting performances, especially Naomi Watts. I really liked the film but I'm not sure if people can watch it multiple time. Like Patman has said it is emotionally gruelling. I would first rent.
Old 03-17-04, 05:25 AM

I just rented the film today, and it was amazing. As everyone has said, Penn, Watts, and Del Toro give incredible performances. The film itself is extremely well-made, with expert editing and directing especially. The movie is like a ton of puzzle pieces mixed up in a random order, and you have to figure it out. Still, I really got into the movie, and I liked the fact that it gripped me (something that usually doesn't happen), and made me want to keep on watching until the very end. Also, films of this type tend to pretend to be realistic yet either collapse due to plot holes or flimsy logic in some shape or form, but this film remained very believable all throughout. It's really sad, gritty, and raw, but powerful stuff.

Also, anybody who is a fan of Naomi Watts (like myself) should at least see this - I mean come on, Naomi's bare breasts in an extended shot!

I will eventually own this film, BUT I am very disapproving of the actual DVD. The picture and sound are fine, but zero special features (not even a trailer for 21 Grams) adds up to a genuine bare-bones disc I'd rather not have. I'd say rent first, then hope for a special edition.
Old 03-17-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like it, personally. I agree there was some fine acting in it, especially from Naomi Watts but I thought the editing was a mess. I wouldn't blind buy it.
Old 03-17-04, 02:16 PM

Well, I stood in Best Buy debating for about a half hour, and I finally decided to pick it up. I wasn't worried about whether I'd like it or not, I knew from everything that I had seen and read that chances are I probably would, but the only thing holding me back was the fact that its obvious there will be a special edition down the road.

But I finally gave in and bought it. And boy am I glad I did. This easily sits at the top my best of 2003 list. Everything about this film is amazing. I watched it last night when I got it and I'm going to watch it again tonight. I really want a special edition of this movie, but this is the kind of movie that can stand very well on its own without any extras. But hopefully we'll see this get the version it deserves before long.
Old 03-17-04, 05:13 PM

Just finished watching it and i would say defently one of my favorites of 2003. Del Toro,Penn,and Watts all gave some amazing performances. They have to come out with SE or even better an CC. I would suggest buying it blind. Ill be double dipping on this one when they come out with a better version...Hopefully.
Old 03-17-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Excellent movie, maybe a little overdone with the jigsaw editing, fabulous performances (Penn was better here than in Mystic River). However, ZERO special features=ZERO dollars. Hold out for the inevitable SE.
Old 03-17-04, 08:16 PM
Cool New Member

I just finished it as well. The first 20 minutes had me wondering if I made a mistake, then it all fit together. I enjoyed every minute after that and was angry at myself for having such limited vision early on. I must agree with the OP. This was the best movie of 2003 that I've seen thus far. It was worth the price by FAR to me! I will be watching this again in a few days
Old 03-26-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

21 Grams is by far my second top pick of 2003 (the other one being the Italian production CASOMAI).

This is what American cinema should look like-powerful, grippig, gritty, breath-taking. If you saw this film and something deep inside you did not tremble for a second...check yourself in the nearest hospital. Your heart has stopped!!

Del Toro is powerful, Naomi Watts is superb, and Sean Penn...well, he jus might be the greatest living American actor as of right now...this very moment. This may sound ridiculous to some however in my humble opinion Sean Pean does everything in a way that just suffocates you with emotion...SUPERB FILM!!

...which of course proves to me yet again, that Hollywood could produce a good film only if foreign talent is involved. Inarritu is perfect!!

I shall be double-dipping when the SE comes out....no regrets!!!

Pro-B
Old 03-26-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I also got this as a blind buy. Watts, Penn and Del Toro are all great, and it's a story that leaves you wondering what is going to happen next. I also love the puzzle like plot of it all. Too bad it didn't come with any extras, 17.99 for a barebones is poopy.
Old 03-28-04, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Great film, but I'd recommend a rental. The disc is bare-bones, and a loaded SE is in the works. So if you like extras and commentary tracks, you may want to hold out.

But if you haven't seen the film at all then I HIGHLY recommend a rental or borrow.
Old 03-28-04, 05:55 PM

Like everyone else has said, it is really good. Just like someone said above though, not something to watch over and over again, IMO.

Ferret
Old 03-28-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by jough
The disc is bare-bones, and a loaded SE is in the works.
what is your source for this claim? Will you please post a link to your source of information....

Pro-B
Old 03-28-04, 10:38 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
what is your source for this claim? Will you please post a link to your source of information...
This is why Jesus invented the "Search" feature:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2

There's also a story about it in Video Business, but you have to be a subscriber to access the article.
Old 03-29-04, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Director has said, in an IGN quote, that there will be a SE in the future, with commentaries and the such, there were some specials on the disc that were pulled at the last minute. A great companion piece to Mystic River , especially regarding Penn's performances and some similar themes.