Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Lakers Team/Players/Game Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

MJKTool
03-18-04, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
No one likes, understands, or finds reapersaurus' posts to be of any value and he doesn't like anyone in here either, so why does he continue to post in this thread and be torn apart, ridiculed and embarassed?

I've always wondered why he just doesnt start a "One and Only Queens" thread? Maybe because no one would give a flying shit about that team and the thread would die after 1 day. Or Im guessing he's just jealous of all the Lakers past success and feels the need to come into Laker threads to try and prove to us that his team in on par because they are in first this year. Whooopee! I would think one would save the enourmous amounts of trash talk until after they have proven themselves.

SleepyW
03-18-04, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by reapersaurus
SleepyW - look at Jerry Stackhouse's stats.
After that, if you still say he's a flop, and hasn't done anything, than I'll consider ignoring your posts from now on (since you will have proved your insanity in my eyes).

Firstly, shame on me for even bothering:

Yes, I must be insane to think Jerry Stackhouse is a mediocre player. And stats? The guy is the only "marquee" player on a crappy team. His stats don't mean squat to me.

The only insanity is justifying the value of the opponent that kicked your team's ass.

BT
03-18-04, 01:30 PM
So back on topic... If the Kings keep playing like their last two games, do the Lakers have a chance to catch them for the #1 seed? I thought it was out of the question about a week ago, but watching the Clipper's game last night, one of the sportscasters was arguing pretty vehemently about how he is certain that the Lakers will catch Sacto.

I'm satisfied with a #2 seed and meeting the Kings in the division finals.
Thoughts?

MJKTool
03-18-04, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by BT
Thoughts?

Thats my NBA Finals right there.

fumanstan
03-18-04, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by BT
So back on topic... If the Kings keep playing like their last two games, do the Lakers have a chance to catch them for the #1 seed? I thought it was out of the question about a week ago, but watching the Clipper's game last night, one of the sportscasters was arguing pretty vehemently about how he is certain that the Lakers will catch Sacto.

Thoughts?

The Lakers have a very good chance of catching the Kings, for a couple of reasons. One is that the Lakers have an easier schedule for the remaining games left in the season, with the majority of them at Staples Center where the Lakers have played great. Another is that the two teams have 2 games between them left to be played.

Lakers have been playing well since the break, and finally have their star players back (Horace Grant's injury and Kobe's shoulder not withstanding). Kings seem to be adjusting still to Webber's return. Hopefully we see the Lakers gain more ground, just so that the nationally televised game on April 11th will be all the more exciting :)

Blake
03-18-04, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by BT
Thoughts?
I think this was already discussed a while back, but of course there's a chance at a #1 seed. Right now, the Lakers are 4 games back with 2 head to head games remaining. Assuming the Lakers win both (a big assumption, but still possible), that's only a 2 game lead with the Kings having a much harder road schedule down the line. Even if they split the two games, we're back to a 4 game split and the Kings still have a 5 game home advantage over the Lakers.

Kings 30-5 at home, 19-14 on the road.

Lakers 25-5 at home, 20-18 on the road.

Before last night,t he home losses and road wins were tied, but the Lakers have now taken the lead and therefore have a slight upper hand. Should they win 2 vs. the Kings, it is quite easy to see a #1 seed. IF they split, it will be harder, but it's not too hard to imagine catching Sactown.

movielib
03-18-04, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Blake
...and the Kings still have a 5 game home advantage over the Lakers.

I know you meant the other way around.

Edit: Oh wait; you mean the Kings have had a five game advantage. I meant the Lakers have a five game advantage for the remainder of the season.
Before last night,t he home losses and road wins were tied, but the Lakers have now taken the lead and therefore have a slight upper hand. Should they win 2 vs. the Kings, it is quite easy to see a #1 seed. IF they split, it will be harder, but it's not too hard to imagine catching Sactown.
I always like comparing that stat too. This has to be the first time since early in the season the Lakers are leading the Kings in this.

eatntae
03-19-04, 04:21 AM
Apparently, Kobe has a court date next week, and will be unable to play against the Kings on Wednesday. I heard this from a friend, so I'm not sure how accurate this news is. If it is true, hopefully the Lakers can still find a way to win the game, and continue to make a push for the #1 seed.

nickdawgy
03-19-04, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by eatntae
Apparently, Kobe has a court date next week, and will be unable to play against the Kings on Wednesday. I heard this from a friend, so I'm not sure how accurate this news is. If it is true, hopefully the Lakers can still find a way to win the game, and continue to make a push for the #1 seed.

I heard about the possibility of him missing the Kings game long ago. Unfortunately, the Lakers will have to make due without him. It'll be hard to beat the Kings without Kobe's points.

heimerSWT
03-19-04, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by MJKTool
Thats my NBA Finals right there. But, does your NBA Finals reward the players with the bling bling? ;)

movielib
03-19-04, 09:41 AM
That's the date "the Kobe accuser" has to testify.

Setzer
03-19-04, 10:30 AM
Him missing next Wednesday's game vs. the Kings doesn't bother me as much as the possibility of him missing Games 4 & 5 of the first round play-off series against whomever.

If this happens I would feel alot better with the #1 seed.

MJKTool
03-19-04, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by heimerSWT
But, does your NBA Finals reward the players with the bling bling? ;)

You know at this point for me, kicking the Kings out of the Playoffs would be bling bling enough for me :D

eatntae
03-19-04, 04:05 PM
Looks like the Lakers chances of picking up a game on Sacramento diminished today. Kings at Pacers tonight, and Pacers are without Artest, who is being suspended for today's game.

http://www.nba.com/news/artest_040319.html

Hopefully the Pacers can win without him, and the Lakers take care of business tonight. Then we're only 3 games back.

nickdawgy
03-19-04, 04:46 PM
Looks like the Lakers chances of picking up a game on Sacramento diminished today. Kings at Pacers tonight, and Pacers are without Artest, who is being suspended for today's game.

http://www.nba.com/news/artest_040319.html

Hopefully the Pacers can win without him, and the Lakers take care of business tonight. Then we're only 3 games back.

Kings always catching a break

reapersaurus
03-19-04, 05:27 PM
"Kings... always catching a break."?

yeah.... RIGHT.

and are you guys STILL thinking about catching the Kings?
Don't you have to be playing better ball than barely beating the Bulls and Clips to think about making up FIVE games?

(yes, it is 5 games - the Kings own the tiebreaker, even if the Lakers can beat the Kings twice, which I will wager that they won't.
So it's likely more like 7 games, when the Kings win one of the 2)

fumanstan
03-19-04, 06:20 PM

yeah.... RIGHT.

Don't you have to be playing better ball than barely beating the Bulls and Clips to think about making up FIVE games?

(yes, it is 5 games - the Kings own the tiebreaker, even if the Lakers can beat the Kings twice, which I will wager that they won't.

Don't tell me you're criticizing us for speculating if the Lakers can catch the Kings. Please, they have a legitimate shot. Particularly when the Kings havent played so hot the last couple games either. So it's likely more like 3 games, when the Lakers beat the Kings both times. And with an easier schedule, it's practically 0 games! Ta da!

Setzer
03-19-04, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Kings always catching a break

Yup! They have yet to face a Lakers team at full strength. Wouldn't be looking at a 0-2 record right now against them...more like 2-0 and fortunately for the Kings the Lakers suffered 3 months worth of injuries otherwise the Lakers would have already clinched the division and the #1 seed right now.

I'm happy with the Kings winning the Pacific Division. It's sorta like a consolation prize and it gives their fans something to look forward to. I mean, what Sacto fan wouldn't want a T-Shirt that read....

Sacramento Kings
"3-Peat!!!"
2002, 2003, 2004 Pacific Division Champions!!!

:lol:

eatntae
03-19-04, 09:02 PM
Well, Kings won by 2. Best Lakers can do tonight is stay 4 games behind. 30 minutes until game time.

Blake
03-19-04, 09:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a LAKERS thread - which is why we are discussing the possibility of them catching the Kings. Perhaps we should all be discussing doom and gloom?

reapersaurus
03-19-04, 10:06 PM
You guys go right on ahead expecting to get the #1 seed.

That way, you can be used to disappointment come playoff time.

Jackskeleton
03-19-04, 10:09 PM
27-20 clippers ahead at the end of the first.

MovieMaster11
03-19-04, 10:12 PM
what a craptacular frst half by the lakers.

MJKTool
03-19-04, 10:16 PM

Who the hell said they were expecting the #1 seed? Were just discussing it. I ask again, why not make your own Queens thread? You have to be in sweet love with the Lakers or something.

fumanstan
03-19-04, 10:32 PM

Just like Kings fans :)

eatntae
03-19-04, 10:37 PM
T'wolves beat the Suns, so the best the Lakers can do today is remain 1 game behind them.

As far as the first half of the Lakers, they are not controlling their defensive boards. Giving the Clippers too many 2nd chance opportunities is killing them.

eatntae
03-19-04, 10:41 PM
Shaq banks in a free throw... nice. :lol:

MovieMaster11
03-19-04, 11:51 PM
wow lets see how fast we can give them the lead

SleepyW
03-19-04, 11:59 PM
Any chance the Lakers could trade Medvedenko for Ben Wallace? :D Getting repeatedly outrebounded is killing them. They should be up by at LEAST 10...not 2.

SleepyW
03-20-04, 12:03 AM
46 seconds left, Lakers by 6...Kobe's taking over..as usual.

eatntae
03-20-04, 12:09 AM
Wow, almost the same score as Wednesday night's game.

MovieMaster11
03-20-04, 12:11 AM
i was just about to say that. These games feel the same

Blake
03-20-04, 12:12 AM
No one's expecting it - we're just talking about the possibility of it. I fully expect the Kings to hold on to the #1 barring some sort of break-down. But we can still discuss the various ways it could happen...

10 of the Lakers remaining 13 games are at home - pretty nice way to end the season :)

Another game too close tonight...but a win's a win - right reaper - just squeaking by Indy there...

MovieMaster11
03-20-04, 12:13 AM
Lakers win! good game by the starting 5.

nickdawgy
03-20-04, 12:44 AM
Missed most of the game. Heard they were down 9 after the first quarter. Not good.

A win is a win, though :D

Shame the Kings barely squeaked by the Pacers tonight.

nickdawgy
03-20-04, 12:48 AM
Oh, and I'm not sure if this was mentioned, as I haven't looked over the past few posts or so, but anyway it's reported that Kobe plans to play vs the Kings on Wednesday despite having the trial stuff going on earlier in the day and the next day.

So good news for Laker fans, bad news for Kings fans :D

nickdawgy
03-20-04, 12:57 AM

yeah.... RIGHT.

How do the Kings own the tiebreaker? If the Lakers beat them the next two times (which I am pretty sure they will) and they finish the season with identical records, what exactly is the tiebreaker?

What's all this about barely beating the Bulls, and Clips? The Lakers barely beat the Magic, too, both times they played them this year. They also had trouble with the Cavs, and lost to alot of crap teams this year. A win is a win, no matter by one or twenty-one.

Such a crappy season, yet, only 4 games behind the, according to the "experts", NBA's greatest offense of all-time.

rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl

eatntae
03-20-04, 01:00 AM
Oh, and I'm not sure if this was mentioned, as I haven't looked over the past few posts or so, but anyway it's reported that Kobe plans to play vs the Kings on Wednesday despite having the trial stuff going on earlier in the day and the next day.

So good news for Laker fans, bad news for Kings fans :D

Yup, saw that on the game notes for tonight's recap on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240319013

Bryant plans to play Wednesday night against Sacramento despite pretrial hearings Wednesday and Thursday in Colorado involving his sexual assault charge. Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Bryant will fly to Los Angeles after Wednesday's court action and return to the Eagle County court early the following day.

Can't wait for that game.

reapersaurus
03-20-04, 01:10 AM
How do the Kings own the tiebreaker? Well, I'll explain it to you in really easy terms that you're sure to understand, since you obviously don't know that much about basketball.

You see, when teams own an equal record at the end of the season (in other words, when they have the same record, ex. 57 and 25) it's called a "tie".
When this happens, their head to head record is compared. That means the 4 games they played each other this season (not any other season). In this case, the Kings have won both times they've played so far, and the Lakers haven't beat the Kings yet this year.

If the Lakers can win BOTH remaining games against the Kings, then the tiebreaker compares their conference records. Currently the Kings are 28 and 14, the Lakers are 23 and 18 after tonight. That means the Kings are 4 1/2 games in front there. There are only 10 more conference games for the Kings.

What this means, nick, is that the Lakers cannot have the same record as the Kings at the end of the season, and expect to win. They must have a BETTER record than the Kings. Therefore, the Kings are effectively 5 games ahead of the Lakers.
With only.... 13 games left.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7164305

Hope you can understand this technical of discussion, nick. ;)

eatntae
03-20-04, 01:11 AM
How do the Kings own the tiebreaker? If the Lakers beat them the next two times (which I am pretty sure they will) and they finish the season with identical records, what exactly is the tiebreaker?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings

Two-Team Tiebreaker
1. Better record in head-to-head games
2. Higher winning percentage in conference games
3. Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
4. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in own conference
5. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in opposite conference
6. Higher point differential between points scored and points allowed

Sure the Kings currently hold the tie breaker now, but the season isn't even over yet. Nothing is clinched yet, so we're just going to have to wait.

eatntae
03-20-04, 01:18 AM
What this means, nick, is that the Lakers cannot have the same record as the Kings at the end of the season, and expect to win. They must have a BETTER record than the Kings. Therefore, the Kings are effectively 5 games ahead of the Lakers.

Sure the Kings currently hold the tie breaker now, but the season isn't even over yet. Nothing is clinched yet, so we're just going to have to wait.

quoting myself, so what?

reapersaurus
03-20-04, 02:23 AM
quoting myself, so what? congratulations.
you felt the need to reiterate the same post, without anyone replying.

but at least you spelled all 4 words of your post right, and didn't use a smilie. :up:

eatntae
03-20-04, 02:55 AM
congratulations.
you felt the need to reiterate the same post, without anyone replying.

but at least you spelled all 4 words of your post right, and didn't use a smilie. :up:
Not much different than you reiterating that the Lakers are 5 games behind the Kings, even though standings say 4 games. Don't try to rationalize it with your tie breaker reasoning, because the season isn't over yet. Lakers have a much more favorable schedule the rest of the way. Only 3 road games, and only one of which is against a team over .500 (Kings). Kings have 7 road games, including @San Antonio and @Dallas (back-to-back nights), neither of them cake walks. For someone who implies they know so much about basketball, you certainly ignore the fact that anything can happen.

reapersaurus
03-20-04, 03:47 AM
Not much different than you reiterating that the Lakers are 5 games behind the Kings, even though standings say 4 games. Don't try to rationalize it with your tie breaker reasoning, because the season isn't over yet. I don't understand : are you saying that the Lakers AREN'T 5 games behind the Kings, since the Kings own the tiebreaker?

And Reality Check:
Since Feb 1st, the Lakers are 3 and 7 vs teams over .500
(I counted the Nuggets game as a loss, since it was for this context - determining how well the team is playing).

And they're struggling mightily against sub-.500 teams.

nickdawgy
03-20-04, 04:05 AM
Reality check, reaper:

How many games since Feb 1st have the Lakers been healthy?

So if you count the Nuggets game as a loss, can we count last nights Pacers game as a loss? Both last second wins for both teams.

Oh, you must be talking about the game the Lakers paid the refs to call the jump ball that could have been won by Denver that led to the 3 pointer that could have been defended better.

Gotcha.

nickdawgy
03-20-04, 04:14 AM
Oh and as for your lame ass 5 games back excuse....

The Kings have 10 conference games left, the Lakers 11. Let's compare the remaining conference games for both teams, shall we?

Kings:
@ Lakers
vs Rockets
@ Spurs
@ Mavs
@ Rockets
vs Wolves
@ Suns
vs Lakers
@ Nuggets
@ Warriors

I see a tough schedule there.

As for the Lakers, here is there remaining conference games:

vs Kings
vs Wolves
vs Jazz
vs Rockets
@ Sonics
vs Spurs
vs Blazers
vs Grizzlies
@ Kings
vs Warriors
@ Blazers

I see an easier schedule mainly because the majority of home games, and the fact that the Lakers have all their stars back in the lineup.

Laker fans know it's a longshot to catch the Kings, but the way both teams have been playing, anything is possible. Try not to piss your pants worrying about it becoming reality.

eatntae
03-20-04, 07:19 AM
I don't understand
No, really?

Tell me, exactly how do the Kings own the tie breaker when the season isn't over yet? If all games haven't been played, and win/loss records are not complete, how can they possibly own the tie breaker? Plain and simple, there are still games to be played, and nothing is decided yet. Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that you don't understand.

SleepyW
03-20-04, 08:21 AM
Well, I'll explain it to you in really easy terms that you're sure to understand, since you obviously don't know that much about basketball.

You see, when teams own an equal record at the end of the season (in other words, when they have the same record, ex. 57 and 25) it's called a "tie".
When this happens, their head to head record is compared. That means the 4 games they played each other this season (not any other season). In this case, the Kings have won both times they've played so far, and the Lakers haven't beat the Kings yet this year.

If the Lakers can win BOTH remaining games against the Kings, then the tiebreaker compares their conference records. Currently the Kings are 28 and 14, the Lakers are 23 and 18 after tonight. That means the Kings are 4 1/2 games in front there. There are only 10 more conference games for the Kings.

What you fail to realize, reap, is that if the Lakers beat the Kings 2 more times, that then makes the Kings only 2 games up in the conference record. Follow so far? OK, then, assuming the fact the Lakers eventually catch them and tie, that also assumes that the Kings have lost at least 2 other games. If those 2 other games happen to be conference games, then we know that the Lakers and Kings wouold then have identical conference records.

Talking to people like they're 5 might be funny to you, but when your own math fails you, the joke is on you.

movielib
03-20-04, 10:06 AM
I don't understand : are you saying that the Lakers AREN'T 5 games behind the Kings, since the Kings own the tiebreaker?

I'm so tired of hearing this because it's wrong even if the Kings do end up with the tiebreaker.

The "effective" lead right now (if the Kings do end up with the tiebreaker) is 4 games, not 5. If it were 5, then if the Lakers won by a game, the two teams would be tied. Obviously they would not be as the Lakers would win it outright.

reapersaurus
03-20-04, 03:05 PM
Tell you what -

You guys go ahead and hope to catch the Kings.

I don't think it's gonna happen.

It COULD happen, but I don't think it will.

We'll find out more after the 24th, since that's a must-win for any hope of the LAkers to catch up.

movielib
03-20-04, 03:14 PM
Tell you what -

You guys go ahead and hope to catch the Kings.

I don't think it's gonna happen.

It COULD happen, but I don't think it will.

We'll find out more after the 24th, since that's a must-win for any hope of the LAkers to catch up.
You don't like addressing posts that prove you wrong, do you? All you have to do is admit the "effective" lead (assuming the Kings end up owning the tiebreaker) is 4 games instead of 5. Is that so hard?

As for the Lakers chances: I wouldn't place a bet on their pulling it off but it is hardly out of the realm of possibility. If the Lakers win both games with Sac there's a good chance because the King's remaining schedule is very tough. If they don't win both of those games, the odds go way against them (although still not mathematically impossible).

reapersaurus
03-20-04, 07:20 PM
Whatever verbage you'd like to use is fine:
If you want to call it 4 1/2 games behind (meaning they have to be 5 games ahead to win) or if you want to call it 5 games behind (meaning exactly the same thing) is fine with me.

And of course the Lakers getting the #1 seed is not "out of the realm of possibility".
Neither is me winning the lottery, but I wouldn't bank on it.

But the REAL interesting thing about you guys going round and around on this is:

I thought that the #1 seed didn't mean anything?

Back when the Kings were even farther ahead, almost every single LAker fan I heard was saying that seeding didn't matter - now, all of a sudden, when there's a possibility that the Lakers could get 1st seed, then it's something that's important?
:shrug:

Can someone explain this contradictory behavior?

Blake
03-20-04, 07:41 PM
It doesn't matter. It's just nice to have. I'm not going to be disappointed with the #3 or #4 seed, but I'll be even happier with a #1 seed - wouldn't anyone? Or in bizarro world (NorCal) is everything completely mixed up?

Any rational person would want the higher seed. Saying that it's not important doesn't mean that we don't want it.

And yes, there is a difference between 4.5 games and 5 games back - they don't mean the same thing. If you want to claim that the Queens are 5 games up because they hold the tiebreaker and then the Lakers gain 5 games on them some how, then by your reasoning, we'd go to the tiebreaker which the Queens would have. But, if it's 4.5 games as movielib said, then, should the Lakers make up 5 games, then they would win the #1 seed. See how it works now? It's a minor difference, but it does make a difference. :)

movielib
03-20-04, 07:44 PM
Whatever verbage you'd like to use is fine:
If you want to call it 4 1/2 games behind (meaning they have to be 5 games ahead to win) or if you want to call it 5 games behind (meaning exactly the same thing) is fine with me.

They are not exactly the same thing.

:brickwl:

If they were the same thing, as I said, and if the Lakers were effectively 5 games behind (as you say) and they made up 5 games, the two teams would be tied and still in need of a tiebreaker. But if the Lakers made up 5 games they would win the division. Therefore they are not "effectively" 5 games behind (assuming Sac owns the tiebreaker at the end of the season). They are more than 4 and less than 5 (which would normally be called 4 but could be called 4 or 4 or any other number between 4 and 5, but not 4 or 5).

I never said the #1 seed doesn't mean anything. I'd always rather have the home court advantage. Still, I think we can beat your butts without it. :)

Edit: It took me awhile to write this (while I'm working) and Blake beat me with an explanation even the Reaper should understand.

Da Thrilla
03-20-04, 08:09 PM
Lakers STILL suck.

fumanstan
03-20-04, 09:10 PM

But the REAL interesting thing about you guys going round and around on this is:

Back when the Kings were even farther ahead, almost every single LAker fan I heard was saying that seeding didn't matter - now, all of a sudden, when there's a possibility that the Lakers could get 1st seed, then it's something that's important?
:shrug:

Can someone explain this contradictory behavior?

That's some mixed up logic, but Blake explained it pretty well. Seeding isn't everything, but it is something. I don't think anyone before said that the Lakers seeding was absolutely worthless expecting them to win regardless.

darkside
03-20-04, 10:04 PM

It doesn't guarantee anything, but the Spurs definitely were helped by it last year.

I think any team would rather take their chances with home court advantage.

reapersaurus
03-20-04, 10:21 PM
Wrong. There is effectively NO difference between saying that the Lakers are 4 1/2 games back, and saying that the Lakers need to make up 5 games to win the division.

I have consistently said that the Lakers need to make up 5 games in order to get the #1 seed, and that they only have 13 games to do it. If they lose even one of the next 2 to the Kings (and I think it's VERY likely they'll lose both), it's over.

So stop wasting everybody's time arguing about the wording used in saying the same thing. The point is still there - they have to play almost perfect basketball from here on out (and they haven't been playing well for MONTHS) and the Kings would have to lose half of their remaining games, including both against the Lakers for them to catch up.

Let's find out if they do, shall we?

nickdawgy
03-20-04, 10:40 PM
If they lose even one of the next 2 to the Kings (and I think it's VERY likely they'll lose both), it's over.

Kings beat the Lakers both times when the Lakers were shorthanded.

First game, no Kobe, no Shaq, no Malone, no Fox

Second game no Malone

We'll see how the next two games turn out.....

chrisih8u
03-20-04, 11:01 PM
I dont like basketball at all, but the Laker threads are always a good read. :)

movielib
03-20-04, 11:05 PM
Wrong. There is effectively NO difference between saying that the Lakers are 4 1/2 games back, and saying that the Lakers need to make up 5 games to win the division.
Except that's not all you said. You said the Lakers are effectively 5 games behind the Kings.
I have consistently said that the Lakers need to make up 5 games in order to get the #1 seed...
:groan: If the Lakers must make up 5 games to get the #1 seed then they are obviously "effectively" less than 5 games behind. It's been explained now by Blake and me in terms a 3rd grader can understand.
So stop wasting everybody's time arguing about the wording used in saying the same thing.
You made the erroneous statement in the first place and have been wasting your time (I don't care about your wasting my time; it's fun watching you) defending it against elementary arithmetic. Apparently, in Sacramento, people can't tell the difference between 4 cowbells and 5.

reapersaurus
03-21-04, 12:14 AM
We'll see how the next two games turn out..... Yes, we will.

And BTW: Did you forget that when the Kings beat the Lakers the 2nd time, they didn't have Webber, Miller, OR Bobby Jackson?

eatntae
03-21-04, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Lakers STILL suck.
:jawdrop: A Da Thrilla sighting. We haven't had one of those in a Laker thread since first round playoffs last year.

Blake
03-21-04, 12:49 AM
Yeah...since he's been back, Webber's done wonders for the team :)

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 01:03 AM
Yes, we will.

And BTW: Did you forget that when the Kings beat the Lakers the 2nd time, they didn't have Webber, Miller, OR Bobby Jackson?

Two of those players don't have as big an impact as Malone, Kobe and Shaq. That's like the Kings losing Bibby, Peja, and Webber at the same time.

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 01:04 AM
Yeah...since he's been back, Webber's done wonders for the team :)

He's definitely helped out the Lakers :D

reapersaurus
03-21-04, 04:21 AM
Yeah...since he's been back, Webber's done wonders for the team :) Well, I'm no big fan of Webber, but did you check out his line against the Pacers for the win?
It was better than KG's line (I have both on a fantasy team).

Blake
03-21-04, 12:23 PM
No, I did not check his line - I don't routinely check the line from King's games, though I would guess he finally had a good game...one out of however many he's been back for is great ;)

reapersaurus
03-21-04, 03:51 PM
If you don't watch the games, and don't check the Box Scores, why do you feel qualified to sarcastically state "Yeah...since he's been back, Webber's done wonders for the team"?

In 10 games, in only 32 minutes, he's averaging 44.3 % FG 70% FT% , 9 RBDs , 4.5 Assists, 2.4 TO's, 1.4 Steals, .8 Blocks 18.7 PPG
He's really only had 2 bad games (vs the Warriors and Nets).

But don't let facts get in the way of your pronouncements, Blake - wouldn't want to crimp your style. ;)

Blake
03-21-04, 04:06 PM
Unlike some others, I can't watch every NBA game or look up every player's box scores...but still...just going by the Kings' record since Webber's been back, I don't think he's as much of an asset as everyone else thinks he is. As an ass though, he's quite good.

fumanstan
03-21-04, 04:09 PM
If you don't watch the games, and don't check the Box Scores, why do you feel qualified to sarcastically state "Yeah...since he's been back, Webber's done wonders for the team"?

In 10 games, in only 32 minutes, he's averaging 44.3 % FG 70% FT% , 9 RBDs , 4.5 Assists, 2.4 TO's, 1.4 Steals, .8 Blocks 18.7 PPG
He's really only had 2 bad games (vs the Warriors and Nets).

But don't let facts get in the way of your pronouncements, Blake - wouldn't want to crimp your style. ;)

You haven't watched all the Laker games but feel qualified to make judgements regarding how they've played and reiterating the so called referee bias.

indy2029
03-21-04, 04:15 PM
Keys for Lakers vs Sac

1. Stop Pick and Roll/Pick and Pop

2. Limit Peja

Problems:
Shaq sucks at pick and roll/pick and pop, hopefully Malone can contribute defensively.
Fox is slower than 2-3 years ago. He cannot hang with Peja. Key is have Bryant guard him in the 4th.
Bibby always torches Lakers. Guard him well, and leave fisher on christie.

Hopefully Shaq has a monster game. We need to win these against Sac. We shoulda won that last one, but Peja and Bibby killed us. Lets hope Phil leave Gary in for the whole 48 and Fox has a nice defensive game.

fumanstan
03-21-04, 04:23 PM
I agree with those points. For whatever reasons, the Lakers have been abysmal at defending the pick and roll, back to when Utah destroyed them a few years ago in the playoffs. Peja and Bibby are definitely the key here. Payton just doesnt seem fast enough to guard the faster point guards and gets beaten on the drive... Kobe's defense will be extremely important.

ILikeDVD
03-21-04, 06:11 PM
I WILL be at the game on WED, and the LAKERS WILL win, gauranteed !!!!!!!
I need to make my DVDTALK sign :thumbsup:

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 08:41 PM
Go Rockets! They lead the Kings by 5 in the 4th with five minutes left.

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 08:42 PM
Lakers Bucks game just started, anyone else watching?

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 08:43 PM
Go Rockets! They lead the Kings by 5 in the 4th with five minutes left.

Geez, I turn around and the Kings make two three pointers and take the lead.

EDIT: Rockets with a one point lead again, but Yao just fouled out, so not good for them.

EDIT 2: Looks like Kings are gonna win. They lead by 5 with 40 seconds left, Floppy Divac just made a 3.

EDIT 3: Kings win

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 09:05 PM
Lakers were up 20-10, then Phil makes a substitution, and the Bucks go on a 9-0 run including a full court buzzer beating 3 pointer, a la Devean George.

20-19 Lakers after one. Bucks have at least 4 dunks, and 3 layups already.

MovieMaster11
03-21-04, 09:11 PM
i applaude stevie francis when he said the refs calls were bullshit, cuz that is just what they were bullshit and Kings fans say we get all the calls in favor of us (bullshit).

Setzer
03-21-04, 09:12 PM
Its absolutely amazing all the lucky breaks the Kings get to win games....unbelievable. Rockets lead the entire game...Yao fouls out, Rockets play sloppy, refs make all calls in favor of the Kings...that jump ball situation was a total joke, and Vlade throws up a three at the shot clock buzzer....prolly his first of the season. Gonna need all that luck to win the championship thats all I gotta say.

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 09:16 PM
Kings had twice as many free throws as the Rockets. Rockets had something like 25 fouls, Kings 11.

The Cow
03-21-04, 09:17 PM
Lakers thread dudes, don't feed the reaper... (wasn't that a Blue Oyster Cult song -wink- )

Shaq already has 12 rebounds - mid 2nd Q. Let's avoid a meltdown in the 2nd half!

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Setzer
that jump ball situation was a total joke

Don't make reaper come in here with his "expert" analysis, and say something like "So the jump ball situation in Denver wasn't a joke?"

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by The Cow
Lakers thread dudes, don't feed the reaper... (wasn't that a Blue Oyster Cult song -wink- )

Shaq already has 12 rebounds - mid 2nd Q. Let's avoid a meltdown in the 2nd half!

LOL you read my mind....

Oh and the song was don't fear the reaper, I think....

I aint scared of him, are you?

:D

SleepyW
03-21-04, 09:25 PM
The most amazing stat so far: Lakers 100% from the FT line (8-8). -eek-

MovieMaster11
03-21-04, 09:28 PM
Shaq is a rebound machine! He is tearing up the boards.

The Cow
03-21-04, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by SleepyW
The most amazing stat so far: Lakers 100% from the FT line (8-8). -eek-
You might wanna append that with Shaq 0-0....

MovieMaster11
03-21-04, 09:35 PM
:eek2:Shaq with a double/double before half time.

SleepyW
03-21-04, 09:41 PM
You might wanna append that with Shaq 0-0....

DOH! You jinxed them...Shaq missed one. Now only 92% at 12-13 at the half.

ILikeDVD
03-21-04, 09:41 PM
Lakers looking pretty good so far.

Gallant Pig
03-21-04, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by MovieMaster11
i applaude stevie francis when he said the refs calls were bullshit, cuz that is just what they were bullshit and Kings fans say we get all the calls in favor of us (bullshit).

i apploude you for speeking the truth about this bullshit (bullshit). cuz if someone doesn't stand up for the bullshit calls the lakers get (bullshit) no one ever will. preech it brotha!

SleepyW
03-21-04, 10:14 PM
Medvedenko to the rescue again...nice 0-for-3 during the Bucks' run to end the third and cut a 15-point lead down to 6. :rolleyes:

MovieMaster11
03-21-04, 10:18 PM
I hate Medvedenko, I cringe everytime i see phil put him in

SleepyW
03-21-04, 10:28 PM
I can't believe Shaq is dominating (12-13 from the field, 20 rebs, 1PF), but Lakers only ahead by 3 in the 4th!

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 10:29 PM
Medvedenko to the rescue again...nice 0-for-3 during the Bucks' run to end the third and cut a 15-point lead down to 6. :rolleyes:

Hey, that's Laker basketball for you. Phil loves to play the scrubs until the lead is lost or close to being lost.

Was the Bucks run something like 19-6 or something?

Pretty pathetic.

The Cow
03-21-04, 10:35 PM
Hey, that's Laker basketball for you. Phil loves to play the scrubs until the lead is lost or close to being lost.

As long as they don't lose (tonight is in jeopardy :( ), I love having the bench play. Gotta know what's available when it really counts, and what we need to get rid of next year!

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 10:37 PM
As long as they don't lose (tonight is in jeopardy :( ), I love having the bench play. Gotta know what's available when it really counts, and what we need to get rid of next year!

I think they'll play better on Wednesday vs the Kings. They seem to just play to the level of the crap teams.

They'll win tonights game, Kobe will make sure of that.

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 10:44 PM
Last shot coming, Kobe time. Let's end this thing :up:

Watch the Lakers turn it over, and lose...

SleepyW
03-21-04, 10:44 PM
Tied with 24 seconds left--Lakers with the ball. OMG...15 point lead blown.

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 10:46 PM
Kobe is an idiot. He took that shot way too early. 3 seconds left now, Bucks ball.

Bucks will win this game.

Horrible loss tonight, just horrible.

SleepyW
03-21-04, 10:46 PM
Kobe misses...Bucks with a chance to pull off the upset with 3 seconds. How did this happen?

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 10:47 PM
Kobe misses...Bucks with a chance to pull off the upset with 3 seconds. How did this happen?

Lakers Defezzzzzce

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 10:48 PM
I stopped watching, hopefully I am wrong about the Bucks winning, but what a letdown this would be going into the Kings game.

nickdawgy
Looks like OT, man they sure did dodge a bullet on that one.....

SleepyW
::::::::::SIGH::::::::::::::::

OT.

db27
03-21-04, 10:49 PM
Overtime, shaq gets to pad his awesome fantasy stats for me, now how bout a win??

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by db27
Overtime, shaq gets to pad his awesome fantasy stats for me, now how bout a win??

Shaq is a beast tonight. Hopefully he can continue his dominance in OT.

SleepyW
03-21-04, 10:58 PM
Shaq is unconscious: 31 pts, 24 rebs, 7 blks

db27
03-21-04, 10:58 PM
25 boards!

db27
03-21-04, 10:59 PM
anyone ever get 30 rebounds?

i'd assume Rodman, maybe even Shaq?

SleepyW
03-21-04, 10:59 PM
The Mailman coming through in the clutch!

db27
03-21-04, 11:00 PM
good to see Karl Malone getting back into the flow of the season nicely, just in time ;)

MovieMaster11
03-21-04, 11:02 PM
Malone is taking charge in OT!

SleepyW
03-21-04, 11:03 PM
Ahhh! Lakers by 1 with 25 seconds left......but the Bucks have the ball.

db27
03-21-04, 11:04 PM
don't like this at all

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 11:04 PM
Ugh, George had that rebound, and blew it. If the Lakers lose, that may very well be a key reason.

25 seconds left, Lakers only up by 1, Bucks ball. I hope they miss another chance to win it, but even if they make it, I hope that they leave the Lakers enough time to get a good look.

SleepyW
03-21-04, 11:05 PM
Lakers should have shot it quicker...not the Bucks can essentially run all but 1 second off the clock, giving L.A. no time left. Second time they've run poor clock management at the enf od a quarter.

SleepyW
03-21-04, 11:06 PM
LAKERS WIN!!!!!!!! --whew!---

db27
win win win!

nickdawgy
Geez, the Lakers are trying to give me a stroke :lol:

Lakers win :up:

db27
03-21-04, 11:08 PM
Geez, the Lakers are trying to give me a stroke :lol:

Lakers win :up:

likewise! although I think it's more stressful for me cuz I've got to watch play by play via yahoo gamechannel! no lakers on tv for me :(

John Sy
03-21-04, 11:08 PM
Lakers win! Thuuuuhhhhh Lakers win!!!

:thumbsup:

MovieMaster11
03-21-04, 11:17 PM
yesssssss lakers win!!! 5 in a row going into the Sac. game.

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MovieMaster11
yesssssss lakers win!!! 5 in a row going into the Sac. game.

Hopefully 6 in a row after that game :up:

movielib
03-21-04, 11:36 PM
anyone ever get 30 rebounds?

i'd assume Rodman, maybe even Shaq?
http://www.nba.com/warriors/history/Wilt_Chamberlains_Records.html

Wilt Chamberlain:

55 - most rebounds [game] (November 24, 1960, vs. Boston)

db27
03-21-04, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by movielib
http://www.nba.com/warriors/history/Wilt_Chamberlains_Records.html

Wilt Chamberlain:

55 - most rebounds [game] (November 24, 1960, vs. Boston)

:jawdrop::jawdrop:55!:jawdrop::jawdrop:

db27
03-21-04, 11:41 PM
oh and thanks for looking!

movielib
03-21-04, 11:42 PM
:jawdrop::jawdrop:55!:jawdrop::jawdrop:
He averaged 27.2 that season, also a record.

db27
03-21-04, 11:43 PM
apparently that Wilt fellow was quite good, that's a hell of rap sheet!!! did he have teammates?

movielib
03-21-04, 11:45 PM
oh and thanks for looking!
I figured it had to be Wilt or Bill Russell and I guessed it was Wilt; found it very fast.

nickdawgy
03-21-04, 11:45 PM
apparently that Wilt fellow was quite good, that's a hell of rap sheet!!! did he have teammates?

May or may not have been overheard in the locker room during Wilt's 100 point game:

"You wanna pass the ball, Wilt?"

;)

movielib
03-21-04, 11:51 PM
Not when he was with the Philadelphia/San Francisco Warriors. ;)

He got some help when he went to the Philadelphia 76ers and later the Lakers.

fumanstan
03-22-04, 12:42 AM
Dang, looked like an exciting end to the game, i wish i saw it :(

GMLSKIS
03-22-04, 12:47 AM
Wilt was great but a worse free throw shooter than Shaq. Shaq leads him during the regular season almost 54% to about 51% made.

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 01:00 AM
Easy to collect 26 boards when you're allowed to camp out in the lane for 10 seconds at a time. :)

nickdawgy
03-22-04, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Easy to collect 26 boards when you're allowed to camp out in the lane for 10 seconds at a time. :)

How many of those were offensive rebounds, though?

Besides, the 3 second rule is stupid. It hardly ever gets called consistently on people like Shaq, just like Jordan was hardly ever called for traveling.

nickdawgy
03-22-04, 01:24 AM

Steve Francis was caught cursing on live TV. I guess a reporter approached him for an interview at halftime, and he said a couple things, and stormed off. He better be suspended for at least a game, because Shaq's cursing was heard by alot less people. (Shaq local KCAL 9 station, Francis ESPN)

What a douchebag.

Blake
03-22-04, 01:29 AM
nick - you sure you're a Lakers fan? Every time you post, you dobut they'll win - you're turning off the tv - you're saying they suck...;)

U G L Y game tonight, but a win's a win. I didn't see the end of the Sac/Hou game, but I can't wait to see how reaper can twist this to suit his agenda.

5 :) in a row - gotta love it...

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 01:54 AM
How many of those were offensive rebounds, though?

Besides, the 3 second rule is stupid. It hardly ever gets called consistently on people like Shaq, just like Jordan was hardly ever called for traveling.

1, which is the point.

Defensive 3 in the key, which the refs love to let Shaq do. :)

nickdawgy
03-22-04, 03:03 AM
nick - you sure you're a Lakers fan? Every time you post, you dobut they'll win - you're turning off the tv - you're saying they suck...;)

U G L Y game tonight, but a win's a win. I didn't see the end of the Sac/Hou game, but I can't wait to see how reaper can twist this to suit his agenda.

5 :) in a row - gotta love it...

Eh, it's called tough love :D

reapersaurus
03-22-04, 03:53 AM
U G L Y game tonight, but a win's a win. Deja vu.

And here's what you're dyin' to hear:
What a surprise, that the Lakers won a close game, that involved questionable calls in their favor. :rolleyes:

Blake
03-22-04, 12:16 PM
Deja vu.

And here's what you're dyin' to hear:
What a surprise, that the Lakers won a close game, that involved questionable calls in their favor. :rolleyes:
Yup - you knew that was coming. Of course, the Kings didn't get any questionable calls in their favor last night - right? :rolleyes:

Also, after giving Lakers fans so much shit about not supporting the team through thick and thin, what do you have to say about SacTown fans who last night BOOED the Kings at home? As bad as the Lakers may play at times, I doubt they'd get booed by the hometown fans.

And, other than the whining Keith Van Horn, could you point out some other questionable calls? Because all of the questionable calls must have gone for the Lakers which would explain why Shaq only took 5 free throws.

Bucks: 21 FTs
Lakers: 23 FTs

Both teams had room to complain, they just printed that VanHorn complained because his team lost at the buzzer...if it had been switched, there would have been room for the Lakers to complain, though I thought the game was pretty evenly refereed.

While watching the game last night, it was pretty evident that it was called pretty fairly and the only reason the Bucks were even close to being in the game is they were hitting desperation three pointers and the Lakers had twice as many turnovers. If we can get the turnovers under control, or back down to the season average, the games shouldn't be so close. And as Horace said, the team just doesn't have that "killer instinct" - hopefully it will return very soon.

Aphex Twin
03-22-04, 01:12 PM
Yeah the Kings have the most fickle front-running fans in the entire league and have very little class. Remember when they booed Jon Barry for no apparent reason?

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 01:17 PM
Fans at Laker games generally don't boo their players because 90% of them are there to be seen and don't really give a shit compared to fans of other teams.

Fans don't boo because they're fickle, they boo because they hate seeing their team come out with no energy.

Even during Portland's glory days of Drexler/Porter/etc., they got booed when they played awful. Ask any non-egotistical player in the NBA and they'll say they deserve the boo birds when they're playing awful.

Aphex Twin
03-22-04, 01:23 PM
Yeah The Scorch.....except Jon Barry wasnt't even on their team at the time.

Blake
03-22-04, 01:24 PM
Wow - 90% are there just to be seen? 90% of 22,000 people...that's a pretty outlandish statement - even from you Scorcho.

MJKTool
03-22-04, 01:30 PM
90%? Wow Scorcho's attempting reaper status now with that comment.

reapersaurus
03-22-04, 01:36 PM
I find it mind-boggling that Laker fans even presume to comment on "fickle" fans or fans that boo. :rolleyes:

Aphex - why bring up an incident you obviously are not aware of the details of?

Blake - Are you saying now that Lakers fans don't boo them when they're at home?
Cause I could have sworn there were multiple instances of that already this year.
In fact, here's nick's words when the Lakers were stinking it up against Orlando: That being said, no excuse at all for the Lakers to lose tonight. None. No injury excuse, no not gelled together excuse. Zip. They laid a big fat egg tonight. This team has so many problems it's not even funny. I am ashamed to be a Laker fan. I'd have booed my ass off if I was at the game tonight.And it's interesting that you misunderstood the booing last night:
the boos were for Webber, for bricking well over 10 shots and playing horrible defense.
If the Kings had lost, ALL the blame would have been on his shoulders. Webber never should have taken that HUGE contract - he's not strong enough mentally to deal with the criticism that comes with it. When he's dragging down his team by missing tons of jump shots repeatedly, he'd better realize that he deserves criticism from even the supportive Kings fans.
The Kings fans are VERY supportive of the team, but that doesn't mean they're not going to give it's most visible player shit when he's playing like it.

That said, Aphex - you're right, that there are quite a few "bandwagon" fans here in Sacto since they're success the past 5 seasons. They do not speak for the majority of solid fans, who now find it hard to afford tickets to the games (double the price since 5 years ago).

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 01:58 PM
Okay maybe not 90%, but a majority of them regardless. I exaggerated to make a point.

Just look at how many of them can't even make it to the game by tipoff and show up sometimes even as late as the 3rd quarter. Yeah, real diehards there!

reapersaurus
03-22-04, 02:17 PM
90%? Wow Scorcho's attempting nickdawgy status now with that comment. fixed it for you.

MJKTool
03-22-04, 02:20 PM
Just look at how many of them can't even make it to the game by tipoff.

Have you ever drivin in downtown LA rush hour traffic by any chance?

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 02:40 PM
Yep.

But what's the excuse for when weekend games are being played and the stadium is half empty at tipoff?

the aftermath
03-22-04, 02:51 PM
Yep.

But what's the excuse for when weekend games are being played and the stadium is half empty at tipoff?
Maybe it's just an LA thing. They arrive late and leave early. Another example would be the Dodgers. Half the stadium is abandoned if they're down a run in the 7th inning.

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 02:53 PM
Because LA consists of a ton of fairweather fans. So yeah, it's an LA thing. :)

They sure don't have that problem in Anaheim....

nickdawgy
03-22-04, 03:15 PM
I've seen the Lakers get booed, but not often. They only get booed when they deserve it, which sadly has probably happened often this season. The Orlando game was one such example.

The articles say Kings fans booed Webber, but you have to admit, they were obviously booing the rest of the team as well. It's not like they were thinking "Sure, we're down by 17, but Bibby and co. are just too damn loveable to be booed. Let's boo Webber for missing some shots." When you boo, you boo. Unless they only booed when Webber touched the ball (like fans do when Kobe does) they were booing the whole team.

Since booing is basically complaining or disappointment by fans, Reaper, as a Kings fan, should know plenty about the subject.

nickdawgy
03-22-04, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by the aftermath
Maybe it's just an LA thing. They arrive late and leave early. Another example would be the Dodgers. Half the stadium is abandoned if they're down a run in the 7th inning.

I always hated people that leave early. My one nitpick about LA fans, definitely.

Blake
03-22-04, 03:34 PM
In fact, here's nick's words when the Lakers were stinking it up against Orlando: And it's interesting that you misunderstood the booing last night:
the boos were for Webber, for bricking well over 10 shots and playing horrible defense.
While it may not be so obvious to you, I need to once again reiterate that nickdawgy does not speak for all Lakers fans - in fact, I think he's in the minority with his posts here - about booing, turning the game off when they are down a few points, criticizing every little mistake they make....shit happens, teams suck at times, but you've got to stick with them and hope for the best. Come playoff time, I'm hoping they step it up, but dreaming that they miraculously take shape and morph into a different team with fewer turnovers, better defense, and a killer instinct might be asking a bit much at this point in the season.

Blake
03-22-04, 03:41 PM
And I didn't misunderstand the booing last night - I just read the AP article:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- The fans booed their team. Chris Webber had a terrible shooting game. Steve Francis cursed on live television.

And it sounds like Webber isn't too pleased with the fans:

Webber capped a terrible shooting game with a key assist and a steal -- but he shot 4-for-18, and for the second time since his comeback from knee surgery and an eight-game suspension, Sacramento's loyal fans booed him several times.

"That's life," Webber said. "You come back after 10 months, you're hurt, and they want to ride you like that, what can you do? It's definitely changing my focus, changing my outlook."

And what's up with Francis only getting fined $25k? Shaq curses and is suspended, Francis does it and is just fined? Nice parity. I guess it once again goes to the bias of the league towards the "big market" teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1765609

Aphex Twin
03-22-04, 03:43 PM
Yeah the true fan or bandwagon/front-runner fan thing can be debated to death, but those are by-products of all successful teams. I have respect for those who standby their team through thick and thin, but can also understand the mentality and posed security that bandwagon fans need. Another reason LA fans don't stay the entire game is because of many factors including traffic and alternative activities. It's also because LA is a big business/industry city where many of the spectators are there for entertainment and not because they may be a Laker's fan. I respect reapersaurus' zeal in defending his team no matter what the accusation, short-coming, or attack. I just do not think he should be belittling other team's fans for supporting their team or his widely condescending posts permiating every Laker's thread. Respect the opinions of others' and you might have a better time here.

Aphex Twin
03-22-04, 03:45 PM
And it sounds like Webber isn't too pleased with the fans:

Well Webber also feels the Kings are "his" team:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/8559035p-9487485c.html
Webber wants to play - Chris Webber wants to learn his capabilities now, not when the playoffs are in full bloom.

"It's almost like what (Philadelphia's) Allen Iverson said the other day," Webber said. "This is what I do. I play, and I want to know what I can do and what I can't do while the season is going on.

"Regardless of what anybody thinks, this is still my team. And if it doesn't win, I'm going to get the blame for it not winning. So give me the opportunity to do what I do and see what I can do."

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 04:08 PM
Ahh screw it, I'll just say it.

I hate everything Los Angeles. Everything.

Whew, that felt better. ;)

MJKTool
03-22-04, 04:11 PM
Even the weather?

the aftermath
03-22-04, 04:14 PM
Even the weather?
Smog is weather? ;)

El Scorcho
03-22-04, 04:14 PM
For extended periods of time, even sunny weather sucks.

the aftermath
03-22-04, 04:28 PM
For extended periods of time, even sunny weather sucks.
I agree, that's why I hate Florida sometimes. Wouldn't mind more of that Oregon rain.

reapersaurus
03-22-04, 04:49 PM
I respect reapersaurus' zeal in defending his team no matter what the accusation, short-coming, or attack. I just do not think he should be belittling other team's fans for supporting their team or his widely condescending posts permiating every Laker's thread.

- removed personal attack -

http://home.comcast.net/~reapersaurus/condescending.jpg

And I don't defend Webber against every attack.... ;)

Steveweiser
03-22-04, 05:08 PM
Kings fan here. I can't let reaper be the only Kings fan who posts here anymore. Both the Kings and the Lakers have damn fine teams and if they meet in the playoffs at full strength, it should be a hell of a series. Enough with the stupid bickering and name-calling. Can't we all just get along?

MJKTool
03-22-04, 05:09 PM
Smog is weather? ;)

Touche... -wink-

MJKTool
03-22-04, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Steveweiser
Kings fan here. I can't let reaper be the only Kings fan who posts here anymore. Both the Kings and the Lakers have damn fine teams and if they meet in the playoffs at full strength, it should be a hell of a series. Enough with the stupid bickering and name-calling. Can't we all just get along?

NEVER! :lol:

Blake
03-22-04, 05:25 PM
I agree, that's why I hate Florida sometimes. Wouldn't mind more of that Oregon rain.
Good weather is nice - no matter how much of it you get. However, Florida weather is not good weather. Florida sunniness is humid sunniness...the humidity there sucks and that's why I hate Florida :) SoCal is so different and so much better :) Though some rain every once in a while would be nice.

Steveweiser
03-22-04, 05:34 PM
NEVER! :lol:
Damn! I pose this question. Will the "Queens" label still stick, even if the Kings win the championship this year?

nodoubt
03-22-04, 05:47 PM
did francis say the F word ?

DarkElf
03-22-04, 05:51 PM
Okay, guys, take it down a notch please.

Respect the opinions of others' and you might have a better time here.

Well said, AT. :up:

movielib
03-22-04, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Steveweiser
Damn! I pose this question. Will the "Queens" label still stick, even if the Kings win the championship this year?
No (I've preferred to call them the Pretenders as in "Pretenders to the Throne of the NBA Championship" - especially apt with their nickname - but it didn't stick).

Welcome to the fray. It will be quite pleasant to have a reasonable Kings fan around. :)

reapersaurus
03-22-04, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DarkElf
Okay, guys, take it down a notch please. I guess my attempt at good-natured ribbing was removed, even within an obvious-humor post. :(

Of course, the very next post after yours, DarkElf, includes a personal attack on me....

I'd just like to know if we can talk shit with each other in here, or not?
If so, I don't mind.
If not, let's be even-handed in deleting personal attacks, mmmkay?

MovieMaster11
03-22-04, 06:43 PM
Stevie Francis said Bullshit nodoubt. It was in an interview at halfcourt right when halftime started and while i never was a big fan of his that was very true. The refs calls in that game were bullshit. Go Lakers!

movielib
03-22-04, 06:46 PM
I guess my attempt at good-natured ribbing was removed, even within an obvious-humor post. :(

Of course, the very next post after yours, DarkElf, includes a personal attack on me....

If so, I don't mind.
If not, let's be even-handed in deleting personal attacks, mmmkay?
Wow, that's the first time in almost four years here I have been accused of making a personal attack.

I don't know what you said that was removed but my post is obviously a joke (if you take it as some reference to you). With or without my lame smilie. :)

reapersaurus
03-22-04, 06:57 PM
movielib - you don't see your (basically) calling me an irrational Kings fan as a personal attack? :eek:

I'd like to make it clear that I'm fine by whichever way this forum wants to be run:
Whether the Mods want to allow personal comments against individual posters, or whether they want the comments to be solely about the team, I can go either way.

I'd just like to get some clarification from a Mod or 2. It seems like there's a lot of confusion, and waffling going on with regards to this issue.
Just let us posters know what parameters there are, and we can then act accordingly.

Static Cling
03-22-04, 07:05 PM
I guess my attempt at good-natured ribbing was removed, even within an obvious-humor post. :(

If so, I don't mind.
If not, let's be even-handed in deleting personal attacks, mmmkay? Let's also realize that moderators don't monitor the forums 24-7. It's conceivable that a mod could make a post, leave the thread, and then someone else could post something questionable without that mod seeing the post.

Instead of posting to tell a mod to be even-handed, next time you should just report the post you think is against forum rules. If you're concerned about how a mod is doing his job, you should send him a polite e-mail. If you don't get a response after a week or so, you should e-mail an admin. If you still don't get a response after another week or so, e-mail Geoff. Calling out a mod on the forum is not on the list of things "to do" when you disagree with what he does.

DarkElf
03-22-04, 07:22 PM
I'd like to make it clear that I'm fine by whichever way this forum wants to be run:
Whether the Mods want to allow personal comments against individual posters, or whether they want the comments to be solely about the team, I can go either way.

I'd just like to get some clarification from a Mod or 2. It seems like there's a lot of confusion, and waffling going on with regards to this issue.
Just let us posters know what parameters there are, and we can then act accordingly.

Note to all:

Spirited conversation is perfectly fine. And certainly, ribbing is also fine (and fun!). But if that is the intention, make it as obvious as you can so that no one will misinterpret it as a personal attack. I suggest that -ptth- does a better job at showing ribbing than ;) does.

Hope that clarifies it. Carry on...

chrisih8u
03-22-04, 07:24 PM
Since when do Admins come into the sports forum? :confused: Are we going to have to clean up our act now? :eek:

nickdawgy
03-22-04, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by chrisih8u
Since when do Admins come into the sports forum? :confused: Are we going to have to clean up our act now? :eek:

God forbid :D
EDIT: Oh and for you, Blake.

"The Lakers better clean up their act, they are going nowhere. I can't believe this team. I knew they were gonna lose when Shaq blinked during the tip. Man what is he thinking? Draft lottery here we come."

;)

Blake
03-22-04, 11:13 PM
Yay! Draft lottery ;) That three spot in the West gets you a pretty high pick - right? ;)

nickdawgy
03-23-04, 06:38 AM
Yay! Draft lottery ;) That three spot in the West gets you a pretty high pick - right? ;)

Sorry I can't hear you, I am too busy crying about the Lakers lack of focus.

bfrank
03-23-04, 01:33 PM
:confused:

Shaq is all over the boards and playing his best ball. The team is just back together for the first time in months. And while not easy a win is a win

http://www.nba.com/news/pow_040322.html

The Sac game is a bit scary but will be the biggest win of the year for the Lakers and a huge mind trip to the Kings!

(Side note to Lakers fans we can be a pretty annoying bunch. Any one post can be fine but when we start take teaming then if can get out of hand (except when its El Shorto ;) ).

bfrank
03-23-04, 01:37 PM
Yep.

actually the real problem is that corperations own all of the floor and lodge seats (ALL!) -eek-

So some times the tickets get to fans but far more get to people that dont go or dont care at all about the game and are just there for the hot dog. If you look up at the top seats you will see the real fans way up there. Its ultra suckekeke!!!!!

MJKTool
03-23-04, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by bfrank
Side note to Lakers fans we can be a pretty annoying bunch.

I dont really agree. I mean I can see that comment being true around the Kenwood days, but not anymore really. This forum used to be overrun with Laker threads, now there is only one really. So I think its gotten alot better. If someone feels the need to come into our Laker thread and bash them at any moment they can, of course they are gonna have hell to pay :D

ILikeDVD
03-23-04, 07:11 PM
Will Kobe play Wed vs. Kings? I heard he wasnt, then someone here said yes.

bfrank
03-23-04, 07:16 PM
AH the Kenwood days and the first ring! Remember Damn_skippy's kid - Shakobe rotfl

;) Hey that reminds me how many rings does Weber have?

Steveweiser
03-23-04, 07:30 PM
;) Hey that reminds me how many rings does Weber have?

If by rings you mean dollars, about 123 million. :)

:(

MJKTool
03-23-04, 07:37 PM
AH the Kenwood days and the first ring! Remember Damn_skippy's kid - Shakobe rotfl

hahah! yes! Shakobe! I gotta admit he fooled me. :lol:

nickdawgy
03-23-04, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ILikeDVD
Will Kobe play Wed vs. Kings? I heard he wasnt, then someone here said yes.

I think he said will. Hopefully he's not rusty after the flight and court proceeding.

movielib
03-23-04, 11:18 PM
Bucks beat Kings in Sacramento.

Lakers 3 games out (3 in loss column). "Effectively" 4 games out.

ILikeDVD
03-23-04, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by movielib
Bucks beat Kings in Sacramento.

Lakers 3 games out (3 in loss column). "Effectively" 4 games out.
All Right!! :thumbsup:

Blake
03-24-04, 12:34 AM
According to Shelly Smith on ESPN, he most likely won't be able to make it to the game tomorrow...

But nice to see the Lakers gain a 1/2 game while doing nothing today :)

reapersaurus
03-24-04, 01:17 AM
Hey that reminds me how many rings does Weber have? Well, according to this (http://www.bowlingindex.com/news/article.html?id=43) he has over 26 titles.

OH!
You didn't mean Pete Weber, the legendary bowler?

reapersaurus
03-24-04, 01:28 AM
The Sac game is a bit scary but will be the biggest win of the year for the Lakers and a huge mind trip to the Kings! I'm curious - why would it be a "huge mind trip" if the Kings lost tomorrow?

Aren't the Lakers supposed to win on their home floor?
:confused:

nickdawgy
03-24-04, 02:18 AM
Good to see the Kings lose again. They're 8-5 since Webber got back, with two of those 8 wins being total come from behind wins, one on a last shot buzzer beater by Bibby.

So the NBA's greatest offense ever* looks to be vunerable.

Last time they played Lakers, the Lakers had a game the previous night. This time, the Kings are the ones that played the night before. I hope Kobe plays, but I am still thinking the Lakers can not only beat the Kings tomorrow, but do it with style, and win comfortably.

:up:

*= according to "experts"

damn_skippy
03-24-04, 02:20 AM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=354587