Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about wireless Xbox controllers.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-04, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife got me 4 wireless Xbox controllers yesterday for my birthday. They are the Pelican controllers... I like the layout of the controller, I like haveing the white and black button up by the trigger. I tested one out last night on Halo, the movement was crisp except jumping. To jump I had to press the button and hold it, I couldn't just tap it like my wired controllers. My question is; are all wireless controllers like that? Or are there better ones. If they are all like that I would keep these, but if there are better ones I will return these and get those.

Shadow
Old 03-12-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they are all like that to a degree depending on the game. I own both the Logitech and Eclipse and with some games I have to bust out the S-Controller with extension cord.
Old 03-12-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Um, yeah, return the gift your wife gave you. Do you WANT her to get mad at you?

ANyway, I've never used wireless controllers. I just wanted to lay that first comment out there.
Old 03-12-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by reubs82
Um, yeah, return the gift your wife gave you. Do you WANT her to get mad at you?

ANyway, I've never used wireless controllers. I just wanted to lay that first comment out there.
She used it last night and said something about it as well, she told me to return it
Old 03-12-04, 12:40 PM

I would suggest the wireless controller offered by Hip Gear . It uses the same button layout as the controller S, it's not as heavy as other wireless controllers, and so far I haven't had to change batteries after a month's use.

Here's one site's review:
http://www.avault.com/hardware/getre...sp?review=hggp
Old 03-12-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by amped
I would suggest the wireless controller offered by Hip Gear . It uses the same button layout as the controller S, it's not as heavy as other wireless controllers, and so far I haven't had to change batteries after a month's use.

Here's one site's review:
http://www.avault.com/hardware/getre...sp?review=hggp
In the review it mentions the buttons not bieng as sensitive as the corded controller so it might just be a common problem with all wireless controllers...
Old 03-12-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
My logitech is tight. The only button issues I have with it are the two analog sticks when used as a button. Just doesn't feel right.
Old 03-12-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Cosmo has no problems with sensitivity. It does have response issues sometimes though.

As of yet, there are still no perfect wireless controller solutions for the XBox or PS2.
Old 03-12-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I might keep 2 and get 2 advent, tonight when my friends come over I will test them and see which is better liked.

Shadow
Old 05-01-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Any more thoughts on the Hip Gear wireless? I think OXM quite liked it, except for the butt-ugly appearence. It's on sale at Fry's for $19.99 until Monday (the Vegas store was sold out I had to get a raincheck). I was waiting for the new, cheaper Logitech controller, but for $20 I'm leaning towards picking this one up instead...
Old 05-03-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can not figure out why game consoles don' t make wireless controllers standard. Most people I know play on big screens and are pretty far away from the tv to begin with. They should take a clue from Nintendo
Wavebird=Best controller EVER
Old 05-03-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by tsohg
I can not figure out why game consoles don' t make wireless controllers standard.
It's probably because it costs more to make wireless controllers. They're already selling the consoles at a loss; why lose even more money by including something that makes it more expensive to produce?
Old 07-08-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the new Pelican wireless controllers for the Xbox? I'd especially be interested in comments about the Spirit. It seems to be a bit smaller than the Eclipse, and only uses 2 AA batteries instead of four. It looks like it doesn't come with a dongle for memory card/Live headset slots though.

Here's their spiel on the new controllers (I don't know why the first one is referred to as the Predator II, which I think is a PS2 controller):

Eclipse II Wireless Controller for Xbox
Predator II delivers the latest technology available in 2.4 GHz wireless for Xbox. With the convenience of such features as auto-hopping, zero latency, fail-safe range performance and frequency screening the user is assured of a no-hassle gaming experience. Predator II is equipped with patented technology from Freedom Wave to create the ultimate rumble vibration. Predator II is a leader in low power consumption giving the user up to 150 hours of battery life. SRP $39.95

Spirit Wireless Controller for Xbox
Spirit’s simplex wireless technology introduces a new value offering in controllers for Xbox. The clean lines and totally transparent body adds to the allure of the advanced technology inside. The performance is unparalleled with zero latency and an operating range of up to 50 feet. Powered by two AA batteries, Spirit has an operating life of over 300 hours. Sprit also comes equipped with shoulder mounted black and white fire buttons and dual tread rubberized grips. SRP $29.95

Soul Wireless Controller for Xbox
Soul combines the best features of wireless with Microsoft’s Live Kit allowing you to actually go Live with your wireless controller. What makes Soul unique is the quadplex wireless technology that delivers 16 bit voice streaming data that allows you to listen to everything in the Live world via a built-in speaker on your controller. In addition, a built-in microphone port that doubles as a Live Kit port allows you to interact in the Live environment without relying on a head set. SRP $59.95
Old 07-08-04, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have one of each of the Logitech wireless, the original and now the small one. For the first time in a year and a half, I have had to break out the S controller to play Riddick. It seemed too jumpy with the wireless. Alls well with the S. Anyone else encounter this?