Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are people in Japan more into dvd movies than in the US?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason why I am asking is that it seems only Japan seems to be churning out these special, incredible box sets like that cool packaging of the Alien Quadrilogy or the Kill Bill Limited edition.

I know these might be limited in numbers but it's obvious that these great editions are being made because people in Japan buy them. Considering that these cost quite a bit more, it's quite impressive to see that Japanese film fans really buy them. I mean, when was the last time (or even the first time) we actually saw something as creative or inventive of a dvd packaging (or even the souverniers that come with it) here in North America??

Another thing is that almost all popular Japanese films come out in two or three discs, not like in the US where it's quite common for a dvd version of a hit movie to come out in one disc and being
a "move-alone" edition.

Never really realized that Japan dwells deeper into the appeal of films more than the US.

Anyone care to comment?
Old 03-11-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
This type of DVD packaging is actually nothing new to Japanese products. Some collectable toys, and in the past, laser disc box sets, have had some just as insanely reverent, unique and feature packed (not to mention expensive) releases. I think that Japanese collectors (whether they collect movies, anime, toys, models, etc) generally tend to be more obsessive and compassionate about their chosen hobby and are willing to pay big bucks for any kind of feature packed item that caters to this.
Old 03-11-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The cost of a dvd in Japan is still high.The cheapest would be the warner dvd's for $15.00 a peice.And the Japanese can afford this kind of luxury.The number of box set that sells in Japan is crazy.
Old 03-11-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...two replies fm Japan.

Kumar, I was in Tokyo 2 months ago and stayed with a friend in Omote-sando. I frequented Shibuya and visited the dvd section of a retail store on the ground level where Starbucks is. I also went to Tower Records and Virgin.

You are correct. The dvd prices there are quite astronomical.
Old 03-12-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the standard of living in japan is very high across the board. so we shouldn't be complaining about dvds over $20 when that's their low-end pricing!
Old 03-12-04, 02:32 AM
Cool New Member

First of all usually in Japan people dont buy to own DVDs. Most of the time they only rent. So that is why the Price is High. Mostly the DVD stores buy them. SO the market is intended for DVD store. The limited(initial pressing) are limited for only those crazy collectors.
Most of the movies are shown on TV(new releases) and it is not perperview. For example "Kitano's Zatoicni" is going to be on Japanese TV soon, especially it is already on DVD.

I am telling you what my wife just told me, she is Japanese grew up in Tokyo.

Last edited by Kortik; 03-12-04 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-12-04, 04:15 AM

For my own experience (that means not so much ;p), i think for those who want to own perfect collectible item, they should go to Japan. Japan is the first country who know what the word COLLECTOR means !!!
And of course (and sadly ;p), the price goes along... -_-
I'm into japanese animation collector and there's a lot just BEAUTIFUL boxes. I mean DVD Box, Laser Disc Box Set, Art book limited edition box or even Manga limited edition box...
Japanese collectible items means a lot for me and above all, I trust their "collector" label...
I don't know in Japan who can own those collectible items, but I sure know they know how to do it in the right way

I buy once a "collector" item in France... Real deception . The box was in cheap plastic painted in some kind of silver to make it looks like aluminium, and the items inside was even cheaper !!! I was sooooo disappointed !!!