Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Foreign Film Recommendations

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-11-04, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a weird question/request, but I'm interested in expanding my horizons and would like to know what you guys suggest in terms of what to start with.

I'm fairly open to all types of film: I enjoy indy stuff a great deal, and most of the foreign stuff I've seen (U.S. releases) tend to have that kind of feel. I really liked Amelie, and pretty much anything Bergman has done, too. But again, I'm open to anything you guys can suggest.

Post some of your favorites, obviously these will be blind buys for me so keep that in mind. I'm particularly interested in French and other European titles.

----

As I watch these films recommended, I'll leave my feedback here. Thanks again for the suggestions!

L'Auberge Espagnole (The Spanish Apartment) - 8/10 - Enjoyed this one. Thought it was smart and light at the same time. I have a question though:
Spoiler:
When the movie ends we see Xavier saying he wants to be a writer. Now when I saw this, it kind of reminded me of Adaptation a bit in that I was thinking the story was that of the screenwriter's life and how he came to be what he is. Anyone have any information on this? It'd be interesting to know if that were the case.

Une Femme de ménage (The House Keeper) - 6/10 - This film was just okay, I thought. I enjoyed it but it wasn't something that I'd pick up.

À la folie... pas du tout (He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not) - 8/10 - I liked this movie, a lot actually. It might have been a bit cliche and not incredibly original, but the way it was put together was great.

La Grande Illusion (Grand Illusion) - 10/10 - This is classic French Cinema at it's best. I loved the movie, and the transfer was great! Criterion definitely did a good job on this one. Question about the Criterion: The spine number is #1, yet it has the "new" criterion line and text look to the cover and DVD. Is this a reprint of a former DVD?

Un Air de Famille (Family Resemblances) - 7/10 - While this may have been a good movie, I found myself uncomfortable throughout the film. This means that everyone played their parts to a T, and the film came out exactly how it was meant to (in my opinion). I just found myself wanting to slap every character when they would act superior or yell at another family member. It also feels like this was adapted from a play because of the minimal movement and location changes. These are great performances, and it IS a good movie, I just didn't like it that much.

Last edited by Psychlowne; 04-02-04 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-11-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Psycho.....

you got mail.

Pro-B
Old 03-11-04, 09:22 PM

My advice is to join Netflix because it has a very large selection of foreign titles, and I almost exclusively watch foreign films nowadays. And yes, French cinema has become my choice as it offers a refreshing alternative to the cliche-driven Hollywood stuff that has been done over and over again.

My picks are films that have Isabelle Huppert in them and those with the gorgeous Virginia Leyoden. Audrey Tatou, the star of Amelie (I really didn't care for that movie much), has starred in several others that I believe are better (Venus Beauty Institute, The Spanish Apartment).

Good luck.
Old 03-11-04, 09:35 PM

peter07: Yeah, good call. I was planning on joining an online rental service but I'm kind of torn between which one. Netflix, I've heard, has the best turnaround time, but GreenCine seems to offer a lot more odd genre films -- at least they claim to. I haven't done extensive research on GreenCine so I'm not certain.

If you suggest Netflix though, then Netflix it is! Thanks for the picks. I appreciate it

Thanks to pro-bassoonist, also!
Old 03-11-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
pro-b seems to be a resident expert in the euro film area, so take his advice. Also - you might want to try nicheflix for more foreign releases (but be aware you should have an all-region player for many of those titles) than netflix has.

I'm just gonna suggest Wasabi as a solid blind buy for now cuz I just watched it again recently and it's badass.
Old 03-12-04, 04:37 AM

There's a movie with Audrey Tautou too... Let me think...
It's french title... oh... mmh... it's a thriller 'bout a love story... wait...
go to amazon and then back ;p

right back :
the french title is "A la folie... pas du tout".
Cast : Audrey Tautou, Samuel Le Bihan, Isabelle Carré
Director : Laetitia Colombani
Sadly, the french DVD is only in french... no english subtitle. Hope there is an english release somewhere

Speaking about Audrey Tautou, there's also another movie. She's not a "leading" character in the movie but the film is good... at least for me.
French title : "L'auberge espagnole".
Cast : Audrey Tautou, Romain Duris, Cecile Defrance, Judith Godreche
Director : Cédric Klapish
Idem, here, the french release is only in french...

Right !
After a detour by Amazon.com, i found the english title :
"A la folie... Pas du tout..." -> "He loves me, He loves me not..."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846
"L'auberge espagnole" -> "L'auberge espagnole (the Spanish Apartment)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&n=507846&st=*

There's "Swimming Pool", too, from François Ozon, with Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier...
I have seen it on screen but i can't remember well if the movie is more good than weird... There is a mystery all along the movie and this mystery remains after the end credits... If you're into those kind of movie, you can watch this one...

From François Ozon too, there is "8 Femmes", with 8 famous french actresses. The plot was once a play and now, it's a movie, made like a kind of play.

If you want more advices on french movies, you can try to ask me ;p
Maybe I have watch them...
Old 03-12-04, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Swimming Pool is top notch-

He Loves me He loves me not is good but NOT nearly as good as L'auberge espagnole.

I think that you should give this one a try as well. I loved it.-since you are considering Rosetta

...and follow the list I mentioned to you....

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 03-12-04, 08:57 AM

haven't seen this one
Old 03-12-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have some suggestions that I think is great, follow the link. Some are not foreign, but that is because it has all of my brilliant films...

Brilliant Films
Old 03-12-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Foreign Film Recommendations

Originally posted by Psychlowne
I'm particularly interested in French and other European titles.
It's really hard to suggest titles from that because it's just too wide a criteria.

But since you mention art films and Bergman you might be interested in French and other European classics then. For that, I suggest looking at Criterion titles. There would be some excellent choices there: Rules of the Game, Le Corbeau, Wages of Fear, Le Trou, La Grande Illusion, The Orphic Trilogy, the Tati films, Children of Paradise, Contempt, Night and Fog, Diary of a County Priest, etc... and that's just for French films.

I would suggest Rules of the Game first, it consistently ranks in the top 5 films ever made and it's a fantastic release.
Old 03-12-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
As for L'Auberge Espagnole, it's good but not nearly as good as Un Air de Famille by the same director (Cedric Klapisch).
Old 03-12-04, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by eXcentris
As for L'Auberge Espagnole, it's good but not nearly as good as Un Air de Famille by the same director (Cedric Klapisch).
I liked both and I agree with you...good choices in your recommendations as well.

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 03-12-04, 03:05 PM

Great! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely be checking these out.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-12-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try this site:

http://www.foreignfilms.com/

and this:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=bergman
Old 03-12-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
I have some suggestions that I think is great, follow the link. Some are not foreign, but that is because it has all of my brilliant films...

Brilliant Films

... WHY THE HELL IS "PAY IT FORWARD" ON THIS LIST???

Old 03-12-04, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
... WHY THE HELL IS "PAY IT FORWARD" ON THIS LIST???
Ask Truffaut...

Its positive and unique message is some of the reasons together with solid performances and story...
Old 03-13-04, 12:19 AM

What do you guys think of the Trois Couleurs series?
Old 03-13-04, 01:53 AM

Psychlowne,

TROIS COULEURS is an excellent way to get to know some of Kieslowski's work - try and see if you like it. It's not everyone's taste, but in my eyes he's one of the greatest European directors of the last 20 years.

Seb
Old 03-13-04, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ask Truffaut...

Its positive and unique message is some of the reasons together with solid performances and story...
Um... Okay. At least you have some kind of reasoning behind your madness. I was afraid it was a typo or somehting!!!

Old 03-14-04, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
Um... Okay. At least you have some kind of reasoning behind your madness. I was afraid it was a typo or somehting!!!

Yes, I know, I have been called eccentric a few times. By the way, did you see Good Burger? Now that is quality cinema

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 03-14-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I know, I have been called eccentric a few times. By the way, did you see Good Burger? Now that is quality cinema

Cheers

DVD Smurf

Dude I was so bummed when Criterion didn't release Good Burger... DAMNIT!!!

Old 03-14-04, 02:49 PM

You guys are breaking my thread! Anyway, yeah the Trois Couluers is about 30$ for the set (R1 release). DVDBeaver said that the R1 outdoes the R2, so I'll have to check that out.
Old 03-14-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, we'll stop... But that had to be answered!
Old 03-14-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...ok....back to the orginal topic:

I would like to add a few R1 foreign titles that I think are worthy of mentioning:

also, not exactly your typical foreign products...but these are films that could make the transition from mainstream cinema to the "foreign land" a bit easier for you:

...and to finish up...some more sophisticated releases from the other side of the Atlantic:

(I think that you already know this title)

from the Turkish director Ferzan Ozpetek the poignant La Finestra Di Fronte:

and last but not least Francisco Rabal's Divertimento-

I think that with the list I gave to you and these few titles you should have enough to begin your journey into the land of the unknown

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-15-04 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-14-04, 10:24 PM

I just saw and liked the Swedish contribution to this years academy awards, Ondskan (Evil). It will be released here in Sweden on dvd on the 17th, and the main feature will be subtitled in English. Highly recommended.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.