Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

with Malata players, how is the Overscan eliminator?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-10-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is according to hkflix
"Eliminate Overscan & Correct PAL-NTSC Aspect Ratio Problems
Besides the Jaton PSD-7611K, and other players from Malata, the DVP-520 is the only DVD player on the market today that has X-Y scaling capability. This feature basically lets you adjust the aspect ratio, picture size, and position of the image on your television down to the pixel. The most important use of this feature is its ability to eliminate overscan. Overscan is the portion of the image that is not visible on your television because it extends beyond the viewable area. On many TVs, you're missing a significant portion of the image due to overscan. Using the X-Y scaling feature of the Malata, you can "pull back" until the entire image is viewable."

my main question, is how well does this work? Does it look good or great? I'd like to see the "full image", but don't want to have 1400 artifacts because of compression. Might get the Jaton player instead since its cheaper.
Old 03-10-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Both the Malata and the Jaton have pretty much the same guts... the X-Y scaling on both is about the same. It looks really good and I use it often. Problem with the Jaton is when you use the X-Y scaling or zoom functions, it places a delay on the subtitles (like a second or two). This is apparently a known issue that Jaton isn't ever going to address. AFAIK, the Malata doesn't have this issue. That is my only complaint with the Jaton - it is a solid player and on DVDs that I don't use the subs on, I do use the x-y scaling to 'zoom out' and it looks great on everything I use it for.
Old 03-10-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the X-Y scaling on my Malata 520, since I can fit to my screen. I also have a Toshiba SD-9200 that I use for my R1 discs and when I watch a non-anamorphic film I try to stretch the screen with my TV but this leaves tons of artifacts on the screen. I do not get this with the 520...
Old 03-10-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

do all malatas support the overscan eliminator or just the one thats 300 bucks.
Old 03-10-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if it says it has x-y scaling, then it does. Check the hkflix website - I know the 520 does and the N996 did and that's all I know. I'm thinking there's another model that had it, but don't know the model number. the Jaton player is 200 bucks at dvdshippers.
Old 03-11-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I love my Malata 520 for its x-y scaling. It was definitely worth every penny and more.
Old 03-11-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can go elsewhere and got the 520 (no power button on remote) much cheaper at other sites as from HKFlix.
Old 03-11-04, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the venerable Malata 996. To be honest, I rarely use the X-Y scaling, except for a couple of discs that are stretched incorrectly (R2 Shogun Assassin being one).

However, the ZOOM function I use ALL THE TIME to eliminate overscan. It works like a dream. The only problem I have noticed in about three years is that when it is used, a strange aliasing appears, with the stairstep lines about three inches apart on my 53" set. In hundreds of DVDs, I have seen this problem on exactly three - Cowboy Bebop, Trigun (R3), and Mildred Pierce. I simply don't use the ZOOM on these titles.

My Malata has been worth every penny.
Old 03-11-04, 09:20 AM
Banned

I use it EVERY SINGLE TIME I watch a movie. I think it's fantastic and can't believe how much I'm missing on the sides. I don't know what I'll do when this Malata breaks down. They're not putting it on future models right??? I wonder why.
Old 03-11-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
I have the venerable Malata 996. To be honest, I rarely use the X-Y scaling, except for a couple of discs that are stretched incorrectly (R2 Shogun Assassin being one).

However, the ZOOM function I use ALL THE TIME to eliminate overscan.
The "Zoom" and "X,Y Scaling" on the Malata are essentially the same function using the same scaling chip. The difference is that "Zoom" scales proportionally in all directions, while the separate X and Y variables allow you to stretch or compress in just one direction at a time.

When someone says they use the Malata's X,Y Scaling to eliminate overscan, usually they're referring to the Zoom.
Old 03-11-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,240 Likes on 825 Posts
My TV has more overscan to one side so I use Zoom along with Pan on my Malata N996. This is essentially the same as using the X,Y scaling feature except you're doing it in two steps. On widescreen subtitled movies I always Pan the picture up until the subs appear in the bottom black bar. Easier to read that way.
Old 03-11-04, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
When someone says they use the Malata's X,Y Scaling to eliminate overscan, usually they're referring to the Zoom.
That makes sense, Josh! I've always wondered why people always mention the X-Y but not the ZOOM!
Old 03-11-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the X-Y scaling of my Malata 520. It really comes in handy when watching discs that have slightly screwed up aspect ratios - specifically Asian PAL vcds.
Old 03-11-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

x-y is more precise and on my malata 966 that's what I used. On my new Jaton, I do use the zoom though because the Jaton separates the x control from the y control and it's harder to keep the proper aspect ratio while reducing the size.
Old 04-17-04, 11:13 PM

I have had 2 Malata DVP-500s and both have gone bust in under 3 weeks. This was my first experience with the company and I'm not impressed (one player was oct 2003 and had an ever so slight pause between all chapters; the other is sep 2003 and has some freezing issues and sometimes the subtitles just stop appearing).

I've found a Toronto dealer (where i live) who has a 520 for sale for C$300 (us$225), which is considerably more than I paid for the 500... but after my experiences with Malata, I'm hesitant.

Am I having probs with the 500 because it's a cheapass model or is the company's products just hit and miss?

Last edited by mensachicken; 04-17-04 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

alright, i was going to buy one that had overscan eliminator, but both are not currently being made, so i was wondering where to go with that.
Old 10-06-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
Finally, someone else with the same problem I have with the Shogun Assassin discs. I always mention this everytime someone posts about purchasing SA. I would have been pissed if I didn't have the 996 for this disc.
Old 10-06-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,240 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
alright, i was going to buy one that had overscan eliminator, but both are not currently being made, so i was wondering where to go with that.
Go into your tv's service menu and adjust VPOS/VSIZ and HPOS/HSIZ to eliminate the overscan.
Old 10-06-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my tv doesn't have that... none of my tvs do.
Old 10-07-04, 06:13 AM

To any who may be put off by the experience above - I've had a 520 for more than 2 years, use it all the time, love the scaling functions, and haven't had a single problem with it. A great piece of equipment.
Old 10-07-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
my tv doesn't have that... none of my tvs do.
They do, but they're in the service menu that is only supposed to be accessed by a qualified technician.