Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spaghetti Western DVD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Spaghetti Western DVD

Old 03-09-04, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spaghetti Western DVD

To all Spaghetti western DVD collectors: Need your suggestions please?

I know that there're already a lot of titles in Region 1 but I've already bought most of the titles I liked. I neglect Brentwood, Direct Source Releases because they are reportedly bad quality and fullscreen.

Unfortunately there are still A LOT of titles I believe have been released outside Region 1. Can anyone suggest where I can get such titles, especially from Europe? I don't think there are any German / Italian DVD online store out there capable to handle international orders. I still have no idea what are the available titles there anyway ...

I managed to get some titles from xploitedcinema.com but I want more! Japanese DVDs are too expensive for me, there should be other alternative.

What I want is complete version, good quality audio & video (at least watchable and not annoying would be OK, excellent quality is too difficult perhaps considering the age of this genre), and at least English audio. Italian version with English subtitles would be the greatest.

My wish list: Big Gundown, Sabata, Sartana series, Holy Ghost series, Pistol for Ringo, Return of Ringo, Hills Run Red, Blood at Sundown, Red Sun, One Silver Dollar, Death Rides a Horse, Hallelujah series, Johnny Oro, Mercenary, etc..

Some titles are available in Japanese R2 but aren't other cheaper releases available? Jap R2 cost almost USD 50 each, not to mention the shipping cost...
Old 03-09-04, 07:24 AM

you have The Great Silence (Il Grande Silenzio) yet? it's brilliant. r1 quality isn't great but sure is watchable... there's a japanese one but probably 3x the price of the r1.
Old 03-09-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With a username like Djangoman, I'm sure he has Silence since it's another Corbucci flick. I wish I could help but spaghettis are poorly represented in the DVD market. I just bought the R3 Fistful of Dynamite for $15 plus shipping from www.koreandvds.com. The English version of the film has decent picture quality but is non-anamorphic and has some jittering which leads me suspect poor telecine technique. The Italian cut of the film has a final flashback sequece restored into the ending. Since the flashbacks are silent and thus not in Italian, it's kind of a bonus. Since you specifically did not mention this film, I'm guessing you have the R2 or R3. VCI (www.vcientertainment.com) has a few releases that are generally cheap at deepdiscount but none of the titles you listed.

If anybody knows of some other reasonably priced foreign releases, please mention them. I would like to find more as well.
Old 03-09-04, 06:34 PM

Yes, I do have the Great Silence and indeed, it's brilliant. Unique! A must have for SW fans. About VCI releases, I only have Stranger's Gundown - the print is mediocre but I don't think such film would get excellent treatment like The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Other VCI titles like Bullet for Sandoval and Find a Place to Die - I dont think they are must-haves. Maybe Any Gun Can Play - I might give it a try later.

I'm still reluctant to buy Duck You Sucker since I'm not sure which release is the complete version. Subgenius, the version you mentioned could be excellent one but I don't speak Italian. I wish for a complete version with Italian audio and English sub, or at least English audio but complete version heheheh ... Maybe MGM is planning to release it in Region 1. Hopefully ...
Old 03-09-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Skip "Any Gun Can Play." It's mediocre at best and seems more like an unfunny comedy at times than a western. The R3 "Duck You Sucker" has a 153 min English language version which is acceptable to me since Rod Steiger and James Coburn appear to speak English and IMDB lists the original language as English. This cut is supposed to be the same one as the R2 except the R2 is anamorphic. The Italian language version does not have English subs which blows and has a running time of 151 min although it is the longer version. Apparently the Italian version is transferred to NTSC from PAL and therefore has the associated speedup. DVD Savant gives a breakdown of the various cuts at http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s26duckyou.html

I, like you, would like to see an R1 release with restored sound and image. It could potentially happen if the new release of The Good, TB & TU sells well. Until then I'll make due with what I've got.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 03-09-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-11-04, 11:08 PM

Anyone knows the list of SW DVD titles from their own homeground, Italy R2? I saw some in xploitedcinema.com but unfortunately they are Italian audio only... (Requiescant & California)
Old 03-12-04, 11:30 AM
MSD

I thought Any Gun Can Play was great, i wouldn't skip it. For the price it's very well worth getting.
Old 03-12-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MSD is right about the price. MSD: Where did your "Day of Anger" originate from?
Old 03-12-04, 02:01 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Day of Anger has been released as a limited edition for R1 through Wild East. It was limited to 2000 copies, and may very well be out of print though it looks like you might be able to still get it off of their homepage:

http://www.wildeast.net/content.htm

It's non-anamorphic but it's a great release none the less and one of Van Cleef's finest films.
Old 03-15-04, 05:13 AM

Anyone have seen "vengeance" (Richard Harrison) German DVD? What do you think? I heard that it's full of trailers extras, although the image quality is not as good as Image R1 version. The R1 from Image I believe has already OOP.