DVD Talk
Seven Samurai: Criterion Collection a Good Blind Buy? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Seven Samurai: Criterion Collection a Good Blind Buy?

BigDogg
03-09-04, 02:11 AM
I know its considered a classic and all but

i'm new to the dvd collecting thing and its pretty expensive so i was looking for some opinions about the dvd

Josh Z
03-09-04, 09:45 AM
Rumors are that they may re-release it in a better edition with a new subtitle translation sometime in the next year or so.

I would probably rent it for now and hold off on a purchase.

Groucho
03-09-04, 09:55 AM
I love the film, it's worth at least a rental if you like action films at all. It's pretty much a template for a lot of movies since.

Also, depending on your age, it may qualify for this weeks "Movie Challenge" (see my sig).

bboisvert
03-09-04, 02:26 PM
This may very possibly be my favorite movie of all time (depending on the way the wind is blowing). As an added bonus, it has a FANTASTIC commentary track that can aid/deepen your appreciation of the film.

Yes, I think this makes a fantastic blind buy.

theneobez
03-09-04, 06:55 PM
I'd rent it as Josh Z said Criterion is seriously considering a re-release.

Hokeyboy
03-10-04, 11:07 AM
Buy it, and when they rerelease it, buy it again. It's a sackful of goodness, one of the greatest movies ever made, and as mentioned before, the commentary track is worth the price of admission alone.

Roy?

ketya
03-10-04, 01:04 PM
Seven Samurai was my first criterion dvd and still the best

Fok
03-11-04, 02:36 PM
Buy it, you won't regret it.

MEJHarrison
03-11-04, 04:00 PM
If you're hesitant and you receive ICF, keep you eyes open because they play it every so often. That's where I caught it along with a bunch of other Kurosawa movies. After screening them there, I'm going to splurge and just get the box set with The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro and The Hidden Fortress. It's cheaper than getting them individually and you're getting three other awesome movies with it. For just over the price of three titles, you can get all four.

BigDogg
03-11-04, 04:06 PM
thanks, ill look into that if i have enough cash

Rypro 525
03-11-04, 06:31 PM
tcm plays the movie sometimes also. (they played this, yojimbo and throne of blood the night before last samurai came in theaters

jough
03-12-04, 12:04 AM
I'd hold off on buying it - there's supposed to be a new transfer coming... eventually.

Give it a rental and don't forget to listen to Michael Jeck's commentary track - it's one of the best ever recorded.

niiyama
03-17-04, 03:43 PM
stop reading this thread and buy it now. It is one of the best movies ever made.

sfsdfd
03-17-04, 04:06 PM
Not only is it one of the best films ever made, the Criterion transfer is <i>pristine.</i> It's incredibly difficult to imagine that a film this clean is that old. It's doubtful that a better transfer is due.

- David Stein

Skull
03-17-04, 07:09 PM
Does the box set have holes though the UPC of each individual DVD?

bboisvert
03-17-04, 09:35 PM
The 3 sets that I've seen do not have holes through the UPC... rather, the disc art omits the UPC entirely.

They may have changed it though... I know that early Hitchcock sets had full UPCs, with later sets having holes.