Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP - Big screen convergence problem

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-08-04, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK,
I've got a Toshiba 4:3 rear project TV. It's about 5 years old now and something weird started happening this weekend.
The blue started "pulling" away from the other 2 colors on the upper left side of the screen in the vertical direction. It seems to have grown over the past couple of days, too. The blue has now seperated from the red and green in a "peeled away" fashion, peeling to the left, over the entire top left of the screen. It's a good 4 inches seperated at it's widest and tapers back in about 1/2 way down the screen.
I tried adjusting the convergence in the regions affected (this set has 9 point convergence), but it's not really helping. All it's doing is shifting the "peel" around.

What's going on???
How do i fix it???
Old 03-08-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My buddy had convergence problems with his Toshiba and he needed a couple trips from the repairman to get it fixed right.
Old 03-09-04, 12:03 PM

I have a similar thing happening with my Toshiba 53H71 purchased back in the November 2001.

The convergence seems to drift rather frequently and I have to manually re-converge to get it back in line. Sometimes it seems to happen when I switch between inputs from component (video 4) to composite (video 1 or 2). There is a 56-point convergence that you can do, but you have to enter the service menu to get at it. There are instructions on the web on how to do that.

I also notice that there is sometimes a green curved line in the top left corner of the picture when I watch a dvd on video 4 with compression (vertical squeeze) turned on.

I bought a 3-year extended warranty from Sears when I bought the tv and it's good until this November, but I'm worried that they'll send an idiot. (I bought it for more "catastrophic" piece of mind). I've been thinking that maybe I should have an ISF tech come over and play with it so I can get it focused and everything.

Anybody have any experience with Sears techs? Should I give them first crack at it? I know my warranty has replacement coverage so I guess I could get a new current model set if they should screw it up big time.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-04, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the convergence thought.
I ended up fixing it with the service menu convergence.
Here's a link to a web site full of info for Toshiba TV's for anyone interested:
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/ToshibaTips.htm