Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hungry for more Tolkein Movies? Trailer for Ancanar! And a ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for those of you who would like to see more movies on Tolkeins Middle Earth here is the trailer for a somewhat abstract story. Supposedly the film is completed, but, even on the Official site I can find no info on a release date. Trailer looks decent, but I could honestly see this film going either way in terms of quality.

here it is;

http://ancanar.com/trailer/

Does anybody know much about this story? Anybody aware of a release date?

I had heard faint rumblings of this film for a long time, I think even before TT had come out, maybe earlier. Most of what I heard was from HSX.
Old 03-07-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like it was filmed with cheap digital camcorders and effects and editing were done on someone's mac. No offense intended...

I can't answer your questions though as far as release date and such, but I can't imagine this ending up getting a theatrical release, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-08-04, 12:26 PM

Now I am a little confused on this matter. I looked into it a little more and apparently, while it boasts that it comes from the world and settings of Middle Earth, it was not written by Tolkein, it was written by the director.

Can he do this? Is he setting himself up for a nice big, juicy lawsuit?

Not even sure if this movie could go Direct to Video. Is there anyone out there that knows more on this subject?
Old 03-08-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I haven't finished downloading the whole trailer but, after seeing more than half of it, I find myself agreeing with Trigger. I mean, the way this looks... are you sure it's not a fanfilm?
Old 03-08-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I guess I'm sort of right.

We began this little production in 1999, as two people, with only $20,000 and a Canon XL-1. At the time, we just wanted to see if making a fantasy film within these constraints was possible, with no ultimate goal in mind. Ancanar.com went online in the Summer of 2000, to document the process and possibly inspire others to follow similar aspirations. There was no way to prepare for what happened next.

[...]

There was considerable interest in re-shooting the film, with a studio budget. This would mean all the scenes that were incomplete, the big battle, the Elven mountains, the Rammoth tower, could be done. Not only that, they could be done right. [...]

Currently, we have teamed up with producer Barry Opper to make sure this dream becomes a reality. [...] Nothing is in stone at present, but we are making progress daily. [...]
The rest is at http://ancanar.com/about/
Old 03-08-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Good luck to them. With a decent cast, director, script and budget this could be good (of courese, you can say that about any movie.) The trailer looked pretty hooky for me, but with a $20,000 budget, it wasn't too bad.
Old 03-08-04, 02:52 PM
Suspended

it's an indie fantasy film that isn't about gay cowboys eating pudding. Ya gotta give em some credit It doesn't look that bad, hell there's plenty of fantasy movies on HBO that are pitiful compared to what this looks like it'll be. It's no lord of the rings but for $20,000, what do ya expect?

Old 03-08-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Only $20K? That looks damn impressive!