Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Thinking about getting back into DDR

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about getting back into DDR

Im thinkin about getting back into DDR... I havent played for about 8-9 months, and i popped in ddrmax last night and started playin some, but i soon found out that my old pads stopped working.

Ive been out of the loop as to what pads are good and which are crappy. I saw this on ebay, and anybody who knows any info. on these pads, please let me know. Pads

It seems like a great price on them (maybe too good), I def. would want to get ddrmax2, sooo, anybody know much about them?
Old 03-07-04, 03:58 PM

The shipping on that is $30..!!!!! I know that two pads and a game cost about $13 to ship.

I have to say though, I have NEVER liked the Ignition or any other of the "deluxe' pads. I DDR, a LOT, both arcade and home. What I find best is the official Konami pad or the Topway standard pad, with the wood/plastic modification. The surface is steady and hard, just like the steel platform the arcade has. Most of the people on DDRFREAK rave about Ignitions, but they're just slaves to RedOctane, but some of them still swear by modded pads.

What I like is that for the price of ONE Ignition pad, you could buy 10 or 12 Topway pads. And just switch them out every 3 or 6 months. Not that you need to, I've been using mine for 2 years straight without ONE problem. Your mod just has to be good, solid wood aboput 1/2 inch thick, industrial staples, double sided tape for the bottom, and duct tape as well. The plastic cover has to be clear and solid, Walmart sells rolls of it for $3 a yard in their fabric section, it has a good grade and is very durable and easy to clean.

And of course, you're going to be playing with shoes, just like on the platform, can't be playing on some soft surface [like the plushy foamy structure of ignitions] when you're going to be doing maniacs and challenge steps..
Old 03-07-04, 07:27 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what you would need to do to be able to wear shoes on the ignition pads...

it sucks that its so hard to find a good, solid ddr pad without a defect.

So, you are saying to get something like this. and then mod it? are the steps reliable and accurate? I hate it when you know you are pressing the right button, but it doesnt respond correctly... and there isn't really anything you can do..

got any info on these ones? these ones

Last edited by markwil; 03-07-04 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-07-04, 07:33 PM

Yep, exactly, get something like that.

Unless the pad is defect from the start, everything will register accurate, especially with the non slip versions of the standard pads. Two or three years ago, the standard pads were horrible [too thin, bad stitching, and bad wiring] but the newer non slip ones that are super cheap on Ebay these days are solid enough for constant use.

Before you mod it, connect it and check each step and button individually, in other words, make sure up goes up, down goes down, and try the option menus to see how constant presses react...if it feels no different from a hand controller [like the dual shock] on the screen, then the pad is good.

after that, mod it [find the instructions or if you can't, just post here and i'll post it] and start dancing. the steps will register 99.9% of the time unless you got bad footwork or you're off time, make sure to disable the use of symbol buttons in gameplay [this is usually why steps get messed up sometimes..i think it's called dance mode] and mod it right, it will work out great.

i don't know about anyone else, but i have been on ddr for 2 or 3 ears since Japanese 3rd mix came out in Japan, and I have done fine with this set up over the years.
Old 03-07-04, 07:33 PM

and the shipping is just right on that link, $15 sounds reasonable for two pads and a game.
Old 03-07-04, 07:35 PM
Cool New Member

ok, coo... i think i might go ahead and get them.. its gonna be interesting on how good i am.. its been a long long time since ive last played, lol...