Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Futureshop vs Best Buy Canada

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Futureshop will always have tons of copies when they advertise a sale.
Best Buy Canada will always have some excuse as to why the movie that is on sale, can not be found, even though their computers show 9 in stock???

Futureshop will always price match + 10% off with out any hassles.
Best Buy Canada will always make it hard for you to price match any title.

Futureshop will always have the advertised movies on sale, at the front of the store.
Best Buy Canada will always hide the movies that are on sale.

Futureshop will always give you a full refund in the same manner that it was paid for.
Best Buy Canada will always give you a store credit regardless of how the item was paid for.

Futureshop always has hot looking girls working the cash registers.
Best Buy Canada always has......umm never mind.

FYI - Futureshop is owned by Best Buy.
Old 03-07-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I fail to see your point also. I understand that Best Buy did buy Future Shop and in some areas of Canada the stores compete for business in a 1/2 mile of each other.

I think Best Buy tries to continue to run these business' seperate from each other in the same way that the WWE tries to proclaim that Raw and Smackdown are two seperate organizations. For now, Best Buy may leave Future Shop's policies in tact but may change their product mix or the buying power that FS now enjoys as part of the Best Buy company.

As for hiding product and hot girls, I think that's more of your opinion but you are entitled to it.
Old 03-12-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

America: Doesn't give a rat's ass about Futureshop
Canada: Does.
Old 03-12-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally posted by the aftermath
America: Doesn't give a rat's ass about Futureshop
Canada: Does.
Canada: Doesn't give a flying fuk about Best Buy
America: Does
Old 03-13-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Point is, no one cares. What's your point? Every Best Buy I've been to has been great, looks like Canada dropped the ball on it.
Old 03-18-04, 06:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm don't know the point of this post either. Anyway, I think the service at Futureshop sucks balls. There sales people know jack and when you want to talk to someone, they're all off chatting with each other. FS seriously needs to look at getting some customer service training or something.
Old 03-20-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every Best Buy I've been to has been great, looks like Canada dropped the ball on it.
Hmmm... yes, Canada licensed the name out, and is using it poorly. Better contact the heads of Best Buy in the US to stop letting the Canada use the Best Buy name!
Old 03-31-04, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I fail to see your point also. I understand that Best Buy did buy Future Shop and in some areas of Canada the stores compete for business in a 1/2 mile of each other.
Half a mile? Christ, there is a Best Buy not 500 m from a Future Shop here in Winnipeg (The ones on St. James by Polo for any one who lives here). From what I've seen Best Buy is just Future Shop with different colours and fewer sales reps. Everytime I go into Future Shop it seems like half the people in the store are sales people.
Old 04-01-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally posted by shimmoril
Everytime I go into Future Shop it seems like half the people in the store are sales people.
Yeah, tell me about it. And most of them are completely clueless. I will buy DVDs there if its the best price, but refuse to buy anything bigger there, after I had a frustrating experience trying to buy a fridge and a receiver there.
Old 04-02-04, 11:35 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't buy anything major at Futureshop, service sucks and the people know jack. For those folks living in Canada, London Drugs seems like a good store to buy electronics, friendly service and they also price match.
Old 04-07-04, 10:57 AM
PwA

talk about flooding the market there are 4 futureshops and 2 best buys within 10 mins of me..

i prefer futureshop because i feel they have better prices on mainstream titles

but best buy has way better prices on criterions
Old 04-13-04, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Fok
I wouldn't buy anything major at Futureshop, service sucks and the people know jack. For those folks living in Canada, London Drugs seems like a good store to buy electronics, friendly service and they also price match.
When I lived in Calgary, I looooooved London Drugs, but Winnipeg was too backwater to have any - until now! They're building at least one at St. Vital. w00t!
Old 04-26-04, 09:31 AM

If best buy (us hq's) found out how the canadian one was running, in my opinion i think they're fire every manager & replace it with competitent people.

When i worked there (at their canadian hq distribution center) i saw so much stuff being brought back, tested, and repacked as "new". They treated their employee's great, but as i've told other friend's after working there i'll never buy any expensive audio/video equipment from them, as i wont know what i'm getting.

As for comparing futureshop/bestbuy they are the same company, but use a different marketing strategy. Futureshop is more "customer oriented" and will come & lend you a hand and do personal selling. Best buy is more of a you shop on your own, if you need something then you find them and ask for it. I was there a few days ago and dvds were about 2-3$ more then they were at walmart, and box sets between 5-7$ more. Bestbuy is usually my last resort. HMV #1, Walmart #2 & then best buy.