Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : "Troy" looks amazing..

OldBoy
03-04-04, 07:31 PM
i just saw the new, full trailer on access hollywood and i haven't been that impressed by a trailer in sometime. looks really really good. looks like it mights be an epic on a greater scale of gladiator. and i never talk about trailers ever, but it really drew me in.

QuikSilver
03-04-04, 08:01 PM
Yeah I can't wait to see this film.

dcprules
03-04-04, 08:49 PM
Is the new trailer available for download anywhere yet?

harosa
03-04-04, 10:22 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/troy.html Yahoo movies has the new trailer up.

Giantrobo
03-04-04, 10:30 PM
:up: can't wait.

beefjerky
03-04-04, 10:46 PM
I was more impressed by the teaser trailer than the version up at Yahoo. The new trailer is meh. It still looks like a great movie though.

Corvin
03-04-04, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the link. May looks to be an excellent month.

PalmerJoss
03-04-04, 11:17 PM
While I wouldn't say it looks amazing, I will say that it looks good. However, I'm a little tired of the sword-and-sandal epic thing. Ever since Gladiator there seems to have been an abundance of them, and the next 2 years looks to bring quite a few more. I'll probably see it, but I'm not that excited about it. Brad Pitt just doesn't look right in the role of Achilles, but having Peter O'Toole and Brian Cox couldn't hurt.

chucks888
03-04-04, 11:30 PM
looks good

Kal-El
03-05-04, 12:06 AM
Damn that loooks good. I'm all over this bad boy.

funkyryno
03-05-04, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
However, I'm a little tired of the sword-and-sandal epic thing. Ever since Gladiator there seems to have been an abundance of them

Huh?

How many sword-and-sandal epic movies have come out since Gladiator? I'm wracking my mind, but I can't think of any.

talemyn
03-05-04, 12:31 AM
Here (http://troymovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/troy_spbowl.html?id=troy_spbowl&type=quicktime&speed=300000) is another one.

Ranger
03-05-04, 01:04 AM
Looks awesome.

Kicker_of_Elves
03-05-04, 01:10 AM
Looks great!

Kennyx
03-05-04, 08:29 AM
Looks good... although I really cant imagine someone as small as Brad Pitt playing Achilles.

Groucho
03-05-04, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Kennyx
Looks good... although I really cant imagine someone as small as Brad Pitt playing Achilles. He's 5'11".

Kennyx
03-05-04, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Groucho
He's 5'11".

But Achilles is supposed to be this HUGE Conan the Barbarian sized character.

Inverse
03-05-04, 10:34 AM
Hey, back then 5'11" WAS huge! ;)

reubs82
03-05-04, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by funkyryno
Huh?

How many sword-and-sandal epic movies have come out since Gladiator? I'm wracking my mind, but I can't think of any.

I'm with you on this one. I can't think of any others, either, and I don't know of any that are in production (I could be wrong, though). I also don't really know how this is going to be similar to Gladiator in any way. I'm not extremely familiar with the story, but I'm pretty positive that the sword and sandal thing is about all it will have in common.

As for the film itself, I'm really excited. I've never been able to get into the Illiad (or the Odyssey for that matter) so I'm looking forward to seeing it played out. I can't wait.

Jaymole
03-05-04, 10:54 AM
I can't believe they're spending that much money on a film about a quaterback. OK, he won a few Super Bowls, but I think it's a bad idea. They should at least release it during football season where it would have a better chance of making money. And I didn't know Aikman was Greek!

Kennyx
03-05-04, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Inverse
Hey, back then 5'11" WAS huge! ;)

But every character in the movie is Brad's size! Banna, Bloom (it'll be funny to see him shoot that arrow), etc... Achilles is supposed to be the biggest/strongest/barbaric character of the group.

Fooman
03-05-04, 11:05 AM
It looks decent. I think the only down part is that they used a good-looking male cast. Brad Pitt.....come on. Maybe I'm just not a fan of him, but his looks kinda detracts from the movie or the realism. He looked a little too clean cut the trailer. It's like watching Gladiator again but this time, Russell Crowe shaves his face. Maybe it's for the women audience I guess. They have Orlando Bloom too so all the teenage girls will like that too. :thumbsdown:

Big Quasimodo
03-05-04, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kennyx
But every character in the movie is Brad's size! Banna, Bloom (it'll be funny to see him shoot that arrow), etc... Achilles is supposed to be the biggest/strongest/barbaric character of the group.

Not true at all. Ajax is the biggest and strongest.

Achillies greatness as a warrior was predicated on the fact that his mother dipped him (by his heel) in the River Styx and he became impervious to harm....except for one small spot. :)

There is nothing in the Iliad to suggest Achillies was anything more than normal-sized. His lineage as the son of Thetis, a Neried, made him noble and his reputation as a relentless and bloodthirsty invincible warrior made men fear him. In fact, his friend was killed because Hector thought he was Achilles - Achilles was the same size as other Greeks. I think Pitt is a perfect choice to play Achilles.

Now, Bloom is a little wimpy looking to me....Iliad Characters (http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/iliad/characters.html)

Ranger
03-05-04, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Fooman
It looks decent. I think the only down part is that they used a good-looking male cast. Brad Pitt.....come on. Maybe I'm just not a fan of him, but his looks kinda detracts from the movie or the realism. He looked a little too clean cut the trailer. It's like watching Gladiator again but this time, Russell Crowe shaves his face. Maybe it's for the women audience I guess. They have Orlando Bloom too so all the teenage girls will like that too. :thumbsdown:

I think that was how the Romans and Greeks soldiers looked then. They had their hair cut very short and were clean-shaven so that if they were captured in battle, the enemy could not grab and pull their hair/beards, etc.

n0fear88
03-05-04, 01:34 PM
Oh yea! that looks great! *counts down the days*

i cant wait!! :D

trigun
03-05-04, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by funkyryno

Dude, didn't you see all of those Lord of the Rings movies? DUH!

Oh wait, they were barefoot.

Nevermind.

theneobez
03-05-04, 02:48 PM
Looks alright, we'll wait and see how it turns out.

Daytripper
03-05-04, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by theneobez
Looks alright, we'll wait and see how it turns out.

I agree. Looks good, not great. Can't get worked up over any Brad Pitt movie. But I like Wolfgang Petersen so I'll most likely go see it. The lead actress in the clip (although very pretty) comes across very wooden.

wendersfan
03-05-04, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Daytripper
The lead actress in the clip (although very pretty) comes across very wooden. No, that was the horse.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Actually, the 'Trojan Horse' wasn't in the Iliad at all, but was introduced by Virgil in The Aeneid.

baracine
03-05-04, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by wendersfan
No, that was the horse.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Actually, the 'Trojan Horse' wasn't in the Iliad at all, but was introduced by Virgil in The Aeneid.
No, that part of the story is in the Odyssey and many other ancient Greek sources before Virgil. See: Robert Graves, "The Greek Myths"

wendersfan
03-05-04, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by baracine
No, that part of the story is in the Odyssey and many other ancient Greek sources before Virgil. See: Robert Graves, "The Greek Myths" Then I've got a bone to pick with my 4th semester college Latin teacher :grunt:

mllefoo
03-05-04, 04:22 PM
I'll go see this just because Peter O'Toole is in it. O'Toole is a wonderful actor, and for a guy who is older than dirt, he's still amazingly sexy.

baracine
03-05-04, 04:28 PM
Then I've got a bone to pick with my 4th semester college Latin teacher :grunt:

He was right in insisting it's not in the Iliad, which is a popular misconception, the Iliad only telling about the 9th year of a 10-year siege.

wendersfan
03-05-04, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by baracine
He was right in insisting it's not in the Iliad, which is a popular misconception, the Iliad only telling about the 9 th year of 10-year siege. Well, she basically said it was an invention of Virgil's, and not Homer, as is generally thought...

Ranger
03-05-04, 05:59 PM
Wonder what it will be rated. Looks like a R-movie.

baracine
03-05-04, 06:21 PM
Well, she basically said it was an invention of Virgil's, and not Homer, as is generally thought...

According to Robert Graves, it is mentioned in the Odyssey's VIIIth chapter and in Apollodorus' Epitome. Also in something called Little Iliad (circa 700 B.C.) All other sources seem to be Virgil and his commentators. Apollodorus of Athens was born in 180 B.C. but his book was probably published in the 1st or 2nd century A.D. So the earliest reference is in the Odyssey, except for the sources Virgil (and Apollodorus) knew that we no longer know. By the way, The Simpsons had it right when they included the story of the wooden horse in the "Homer as Odysseus" episode.

I quote from this site:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa090898.htm

But what about the real story -- the Apple of discord, the Trojan Horse, and Achilles' heel?

Despite the burned Alexandrian library and the Middle Ages' loss of classical scholarship, it would have been hard for us NOT to know the stories. About a third of all surviving Greek literary papyri are Homeric. Every Greco-Roman schoolboy learned his Homer and knew the story of the Trojan War. His auxiliary sources included drama and other poetry, from the now lost writing about the Trojan War cycle to The Aeneid and Metamorphoses. One of the "cyclic" poems starts where The Iliad leaves off and the Amazons, led by Penthesilia, come in. This poem, known as Aethiopis, is believed to be the foundation for The Fall of Troy, by the 4th C A.D. poet, Quintus, referred to as Smyrnaeus. Other poems that may have provided source material are Iliupersis, by Arctinus (c 776 B.C.), and the Little Iliad, by Lesches (c 700 B.C.).

But the best source of all has to be Robert Wise's wonderful film of 1955, Helen of Troy. It provides us with priceless information on Helen's bra size, eye and hair colour and Paris' smooth gymnast's body.-wink-

Artman
03-05-04, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Ranger
Wonder what it will be rated. Looks like a R-movie.

Jury's still out on that one. A rough cut review said the film is a hard R (violence, nudity) but WB might trim some of it... hope not.

I want this movie to be awesome, but for some reason something just doesnt feel 'right'... I dont know if its the bright day time 'look' or the line delivery or what...

rossi46
03-05-04, 10:56 PM
Like "Gladiator," this movie HAS to be R to work. Please, Warner, don't screw us over.

bhk
03-06-04, 10:02 AM
Well, it would be hard not to have nudity since all the warriors were nude under their armor and Achilles is said to have dragged Hector nude around Troy after he killed Hector.

RyoHazuki
03-06-04, 11:00 AM
Wow thanks for the spoilers.

Hokeyboy
03-06-04, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Wow thanks for the spoilers. :mad:

n0fear88
03-06-04, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by bhk
Well, it would be hard not to have nudity since all the warriors were nude under their armor and Achilles is said to have dragged Hector nude around Troy after he killed Hector.

hector nude?! *drools* BANA!!! lol sorry :D :lol:

Dr. DVD
03-06-04, 02:21 PM
Counts down to the inevitable transformation of this thread into why R=greatness and PG-13= suck/sell out.

Ranger
03-06-04, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by bhk
Achilles is said to have dragged Hector nude around Troy after he killed Hector.

I'm remembering more of this story now. I wonder if:

They will show the ghost of Hector's father going to Achilles' camp to beg him to give his son's body back to him.

baracine
03-06-04, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger
I'm remembering more of this story now. I wonder if:

They will show the ghost of Hector's father going to Achilles' camp to beg him to give his son's body back to him.

Oh, somebody read a book! Not a ghost, Hector's real father!

RyoHazuki
03-06-04, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
:mad: :cool: