Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are other studios regretting not picking up the Passion?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone hear anything about the big studios regretting they didn't release the Passion of the Christ? Also, would this be considered an independent film? And most likely to outbeat My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Old 03-04-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a term yes. I would assume that it does indeed count as a independent film since the funding was all mels.

Do the studio's regret not picking it up? Well I'm sure they are kicking themselves for passing it up, but then again, it is a line that studios very rarely want to walk down since it does touch on a lot of hot buttons and really, it could have gone both ways. Very bad or very good.
Old 03-04-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you bet your butt.

(butt used because of the nature of the thread)
Old 03-04-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I am sure due to its content there are some studios that are not unhappy with releasing this film (dreamworks come to mind, noting some of the comments of the owners regarding working with Mel), otherwise I'm sure every studio is kicking themselves. Content may mean something, but money means everything in Hollywood. And with what looks like a soon to be 300 million dollar plus gross, hell even more possibly, you know they're jealous. To think people thought this wouldn't even make its budget back.
Old 03-04-04, 01:52 AM

::sigh::

yeap, probably
Old 03-04-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is kind of a pointless question.

It's kind of like asking..."Don't you regret not buying the winning lottery ticket?"
Old 03-04-04, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seantn

It's kind of like asking..."Don't you regret not buying the winning lottery ticket?" [/B]
Exactly
Old 03-04-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Sadly, this is just ANOTHER example of Hollywood execs having NO IDEA what will draw crowds into a theater.
Old 03-04-04, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Sadly, this is just ANOTHER example of Hollywood execs having NO IDEA what will draw crowds into a theater.
actually, this is another example of a movie unexpectedly doing better then it was thought to do. Also, another example of film studios who would rather not take the risk and be safe then sorry when a group rises against them for it. This film could have really blown up in their faces. I'm sure the media attention it was getting because it wasn't picked up by the studios helped it's box office take.

I wouldn't say that this film drew in all the crowds. I know plenty of folks who aren't going to see this and have no plans to. I also understand that a lot of folks saw this because of that created hype behind why no studio would touch it.
Old 03-04-04, 05:25 AM

scary thing is, this movie may have the potential of being one of the first to approach Titanics gross.

It has almost everyone interested in it, whether seeing it is faith based, seeing it for the controversy, or just seeing it cause everyone is talking about it.

Let's face it, this movie has brought people to the theaters who havent gone to a movie in many, many years.

I may see it, but I want to wait til all the fervor dies down. Really not going for a "religious experience" just out of curiosity.
Old 03-04-04, 07:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
To be fair, when's the last time a religious movie drew crowds? I don't remember people lining up around the block for Left Behind or The Omega Code.
Originally posted by rushmore223
scary thing is, this movie may have the potential of being one of the first to approach Titanics gross.
I don't find that "scary," nor do I agree with you. Titanic thrived on repeat business, and I think this movie will have less people rewatching it again and again.
Old 03-04-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with Groucho - Titanic's grosses are too out of this world to really be thinking about at this point. However, it does have the ability to approach Star Wars, A New Hope, which is sitting at about $461 million(of course, that's not adjusted for inflation, but still) - and Star Wars is #2 on the non-adjusted for inflation list.

Since The Passion of the Christ made about $145 million in its first weekend, and boxofficemojo.com has a list of the biggest opening week grossers of all time, and it shows that that opening weekend gross seems to account average for about 40% or so of the total gross for films that open like that...

Well, if it has enough steam under it that the opening week gross ends up equaling 30% of the total gross, which some films on that list do(the ones that had the best word-of-mouth), then that would put the total gross at over $480 million.

So over $400 million is quite in the realm of possibility with this picture, and there's only four other films, Titanic, Star Wars Episode IV, Star Wars Episode I and Spiderman that have ever crossed that in actual dollar amounts at the domestic box office. Though, of course, adjusting for inflation, there are more films over that mark.

Basically, this could end up being one of the top five money-making films of all time...
Old 03-04-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Considering the past backlash against films like Last Temptation of Christ and Dogma, I think studios wanted to stay away no matter what.
Old 03-04-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I can definitely see this in the $400m range, but $600m is really pushing it.
Old 03-04-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
Considering the past backlash against films like Last Temptation of Christ and Dogma, I think studios wanted to stay away no matter what.
No - they don't care about controversy - in fact, they often actively try to gin it up! Because that tends to equal money.

If they thought the film was going to make money, they would've picked it up in a second, controversy or not - they probably would've encouraged the controversy had they picked it up.

But they most likely felt that they already tried that with Last Temptation, and it didn't work - that controversy surrounding RELIGIOUS films wouldn't help those films bring in any more money.

The bottom line is they simply did not have any concept that this film would make the kind of money it's making. Had they, what difference does the controversy make for them? Months later everything settles down and nobody holds them responsible for anything, and they have money in the bank.
Old 03-04-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Please. They're all probably scrambling around trying to line up some type of biblical movie as we speak. Jerry Bruckheimer being one of them I'm sure.
Old 03-04-04, 02:34 PM
veritasredux

And risk being blackballed by Jon Voight?

Never.
Old 03-04-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by natesfortune
No - they don't care about controversy - in fact, they often actively try to gin it up! Because that tends to equal money.

If they thought the film was going to make money, they would've picked it up in a second, controversy or not - they probably would've encouraged the controversy had they picked it up.

But they most likely felt that they already tried that with Last Temptation, and it didn't work - that controversy surrounding RELIGIOUS films wouldn't help those films bring in any more money.

The bottom line is they simply did not have any concept that this film would make the kind of money it's making. Had they, what difference does the controversy make for them? Months later everything settles down and nobody holds them responsible for anything, and they have money in the bank.
Devil works at sony, trust what he says. It wasn't a for sure profit. It could have gone either way and it was something the studios don't want to risk. They step on religion very carefully. Notice the ten commandments tip toes around anything really to spicey or would fall under the questionable against all the groups range. it's for a reason.
Old 03-04-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is no way they could have known that this film would do what it is doing. HOWEVER, the budget was so low that it would not have been that bad a risk.

I mean, I could see a studio saying "I'm not going to spend $200 mil to make a film about a tragic cruise ship wreck." But $30 mil doesn't seem like a lot of money to risk on an academy award winning director.

Still, if Mel Gibson had come to me and said "I want to make a very gory Jesus film and Oh, by the way, I want it to be in foreign languages no one speaks and I don't want to use subtitles.", I think I would have shown him the door just like all the other studios did.