Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A sickening part of the Oscars

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what I've had it up to here with at the Oscars? The applause that accompanies the montague gallery of the deceased. There is always polite applause for each, but lets say for example a big star dies, ala Jimmy Stewart for example, but the crowd will then get that much louder and hoot and holler. What a disgusting slap in the face to the rest of the people. As if they some how need extra ass kissing and validation in the after life, what must the familes of the lower profile people think. Why not just let them play as a silent tribute. Just had to get that off my chest.
Old 03-03-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
yep, gets on my nerves, but what are ya gonna do?
Old 03-03-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, they shouldn't even clap in the first place. I mean, I always found it silly to clap for people after they are dead. Praise them when they are alive, anyone can do some posthumous applause.

Oh, and you could tell during the Oscars that most of the audience did not even recognize some of the people, that was disgusting.
Old 03-03-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree. These folks deserve applause whether they can hear it or not. The polite thing to do would to applaud for each name, whether you recognize it or not.
Old 03-03-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure John Ritter won this years "applause-o-meter".

It is kinda sad that we have to watch a picture montage of recently deceased while the audience claps in the background. If only they could use the "applause-o-meter" for good. Like picking Oscar winners or killing bugs.
Old 03-03-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always tell everyone (every year) that watches the Oscars with me that everyone should stay silent.

I can't stand when the big stars get the biggest applause but wonderful unknown performers go "unnoticed".
Old 03-03-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You know though, if no one applauded then someone would be on here commenting how awful it was that these people didn't get recognized. So on and so forth. It's a no win situation there. Now, people are people, and they can't help but clap more for those people who had a larger affect on their lives. Seeing as pretty much a majority of the people at the show are connected, I'd imagine many either knew some of those people, or took a lot of inspiration in their career for them. If I were there, you're damn right I'd probably show extra applause for those that meant the most to me. Count up a lot of people with different mindsets and that causes a variation.

I guess I just can't feel sorry that a person got less applause on an Oscar telecast than another. I mean, if they weren't included at all that would suck.

Now if Johnny Depp pulled out a foghorn, and Billy Crystal did a end zone dance on stage for a specific star, that might be too much. But some people are too touchy...like when Jamses Cameron said "I'm king of the world!" when he won his Oscar, and somehow, someway, people thought that was an egotistical thing to say. How you could think that just...confounds me...I suppose if you'd never seen Titanic but otherwise...
Old 03-03-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
I disagree. These folks deserve applause whether they can hear it or not. The polite thing to do would to applaud for each name, whether you recognize it or not.
agree... disagree... i mean... ummm

yeah, i'll go with what you said

Old 03-03-04, 10:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
but not if your name is Leni Riefenstahl
Old 03-03-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
yep, gets on my nerves, but what are ya gonna do?
turn it off or change the channel? Then again, that would be the difficult thing to do.
Old 03-03-04, 10:29 PM
Banned

This has also bugged me from the very first time I remember watching this "montage" at the Oscars.

Even in death some actors still get no respect.
Old 03-03-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The show must go on...
Old 03-03-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You know, most of these people (no wait all) are somehow involved with the movies. I bet if you asked most of them, they would've preferred to have applause then dead silence. That's my guess, but I imagine it to be so. I know I'd prefer to have people applaud me than sit in silence if I'm dead. people have different conceptions of what's respectful, so nobody should take offense.
Old 03-03-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't get it. Does the audience clap because they are glad these people are dead?
Old 03-03-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I agree this is yet another Hollyweird "tradition". Wouldn't it be cool if they just muted the sound while the actors, actresses, directors, producers and whatnot went on with their final demonstration of who's popular and who's not.

I suppose I could turn it off or change the channel, but there were some people there that I hadn't heard about passing away or heard the name but didn't have a face to put to it...
Old 03-03-04, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lara Means
I don't get it. Does the audience clap because they are glad these people are dead?

NO.

The audience claps for the person they are most sad about going away.

That is basically what this "applause -o- meter" montage is year after year........

A popularity contest from beyond the grave.
Old 03-03-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on, it's not like they're booing people they don't know or who they weren't big fans of.

Sure, I would clap louder for a famous actor that I really liked than for somebody I saw once in a movie a long time ago.

Last edited by Heat; 03-03-04 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-03-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Hell, I was half expecting boos at her mention, considering how PC Hollywood often is.
Old 03-04-04, 12:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Look at it this way, the dead don't care.
Old 03-04-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Doesn't bother me at all. People are going to naturally clap louder for people they know and recognize.
Old 03-04-04, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Doesn't bother me either...you clap the loudest for the person you appriciated the most. Death doesn't have to be all sorrowful...it can be a celebration of what that person did on Earth as well...
Old 03-04-04, 08:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Doesn't bother me either...you clap the loudest for the person you appriciated the most. Death doesn't have to be all sorrowful...it can be a celebration of what that person did on Earth as well...
but not if your name is Leni Riefenstahl...
Old 03-04-04, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
I noticed that she and Elia Kazan were grouped closed together. I was surprised that the applause-o-meter didn't fall silent for a couple of seconds.
Old 03-04-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by F For Fake
I noticed that she and Elia Kazan were grouped closed together. I was surprised that the applause-o-meter didn't fall silent for a couple of seconds.
It did, if you listen carefully. Definitely cut off a bit as people realized who they were clapping for.
Old 03-04-04, 10:47 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Sheesh. me and the mrs turned off the volume at that point.

And having watched the Bafta's a couple of weeks ago ( the british oscars) they did it right, no-one applauded until the end.

and there were a lot of american actors at the show, and none of them started clapping. I just don't get it.

Typically in the UK a mark of respect is a minutes silence, they need to introduce something similar in the us.

Can anyone tell me if a Football Player/Baseball player passes away, is there anything that happens in the stadium for the next match?

For example an English football player John Charles died last week, he was 73 and played for leeds. At the game between Liverpool and Leeds all players wore a black armband, and prior to kick-off everyone in the stadium stood for the minutes silence. And then there is a huge roar.

I find the clapping at the oscars incredibly distasteful

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.