Angel - 03/03/04

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Angel - 03/03/04

"Shells", Episode #516.

Spoiler:
Angel and Spike want revenge after learning of Knox's involvement in Fred's infection; Illyria looks for an ancient temple with an army ready to destroy the world.

Cast: David Boreanaz, Alexis Denisof, J. August Richards, Amy Acker, Andy Hallett, James Marsters.
Producer(s): Joss Whedon, Gail Berman, Fran Rubel Kuzui, Kaz Kuzui, Sandy Gallin, David Greenwalt.
Old 03-03-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Just a bump before it starts.
Old 03-03-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Ep. To bad we have to wait 5 weeks to see what happens.
Old 03-03-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tonight's episode has that classic Angel vibe to it, love the internal conflict abrewing within the ranks.

Amy Acker must love playing this new role (being able to chuck Angel out of windows has to be a nice perk).
Old 03-03-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Were you even listening?"

That was great! Wesley has probably had the most evolution of any character in the Buffyverse.
Old 03-03-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good grief, Wes is on a rampage!
Spoiler:
Wes stabs Gunn, and shoots Knox.
Old 03-03-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting ending. I thought the Illyana arc would last the entire season, but perhaps there is more to this story...
Old 03-03-04, 08:55 PM

Now I have no idea how this season will wrap up, still a good episode in my book, Wesley shooting during Angel's big speech was classic.
Old 03-03-04, 08:57 PM

This Illyria chick needs a spin-off....anything to keep the Buffyverse going! Anything!
Old 03-03-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So...I guess this is the last new Angel we get until late March or April? Figures, that time of year.

Liked the ep. until the end, just seemed like somewhat of a copout to me. I did like the way it showed the characters reflecting upon themselves though, and that they included Harmony in the group. But c'mon, they needed more of a twist.
That said, to cancel this show the way they are is a travesty IMO. They obviously want to make a major storyline and wrap it up, but they don't have the time right now.
As for the upcoming weeks, at leat I'll have The Sopranos starting this Sunday.
Old 03-03-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the whole Illyria as a possible ally thing was a great twist. She might provide the extra muscle to help Angel take on the Senior partners
Old 03-03-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
So does :

Spoiler:
Illyria's conversation with Wes mean he's gonna try and get her a job with Wolfram & Hart?
Old 03-03-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a little cruel for Illyria to be able to access some of Fred's memories/speech pattern.

I wonder how Amy Acker really sounds like because her Illyria has a very flat speech pattern, while her Fred has an excitable bubbly lilt to her speech pattern. Don't quite know how the re-integration of Illyria into the human world will go for Angel and company, but I guess the final scene of Fred driving off to new adventures (flashback of sorts to when she left home for college I presume) means Fred is pretty much toast, and ain't coming back.

Illyria reminds me of a live-action Anime female character. I don't think Amy Acker blinks once while the camera was focused on her face during the episode.
Old 03-03-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, I'll admit I didn't see that ending coming. I didn't necessarily expect Illyria to be the Big Bad, but I also never thought for a second she'd join Team Angel. I'll be interested to see where they take this storyline(too bad it'll likely be the last one they ever do).

One other thing. It looks like now I'll have to get the R2 Season 5 set when it's released since they brought back the "Previously on Angel" intros in this episode.
Old 03-03-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to watch this soon; I taped it cuz I was at work.

But here's some interesting news on saving Angel:

Good News first:
-some of our more-well-to-do fans of Angel have purchased one page articles for Newsweek and Variety; probably to make known this issue to the mainstream.
-They also have purchased two billboards in I think, LA/or somewhere in a big city CA, to promote save Angel.

Now the bad news:
-UPN has officially turned down the offer to have the six season show on their network. Last chance efforts or for TNT, Fox, or Sci-Fi.

Read Buffy.nu for more on this.

WHAT?!??! Five weeks before another new ep.??? Hey, atleast we had a great string of like nine ep in a row.
Old 03-03-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TNT would be the best chance since they already play the show. Forget Fox, they wouldn't touch this show because of the ratings it gets. they have cancelled shows with ratings 3 times higher.
Old 03-03-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by jonpeters
WHAT?!??! Five weeks before another new ep.??? Hey, atleast we had a great string of like nine ep in a row.
I find this approach greatly preferably to UPN's staggered schedule.

Originally posted by Patman
I wonder how Amy Acker really sounds like because her Illyria has a very flat speech pattern, while her Fred has an excitable bubbly lilt to her speech pattern.
If you have the season three DVD set, she's interviewed in there.
Old 03-03-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was a serious letdown after such a terrifc build up. I know the WB didn't want long story arcs, but... damn! come on!
Old 03-03-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good episode. Will be interesting to see the new Fred+Illyria combo character.
Old 03-03-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
That was a serious letdown after such a terrifc build up. I know the WB didn't want long story arcs, but... damn! come on!
The hell?

One of the main characters on the show BECAME AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PERSON. What more of an arc do you need?

People bitching about the lack of an arc are not paying attention. This entire season has been about Wolfram and Hart corrupting and confusing Team Angel. Nearly every episode deals with this in some way.

If that isn't an arc, I don't know what is.

Awesome ep. I fully expected Illyria to become a big bad of some kind, not to join up. It's a perfect solution too, because it allows Acker to remain on the show, but doesn't cop out with a "cure" for Fred. What a twist...
Old 03-03-04, 11:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Awesome episode. I love all the little things only Buffy and Angel fans over the years would notice (the unicorns on Harmonys desk). The one thing that is pissing me off is CORDELIA DIED, yet we don't have any of these sadness sessions besides Angel. She was apart of the show longer then Fred, and apart of Buffy for 3 years!

5 Weeks...ugh..
Old 03-04-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think Acker looks hot with that whole blue hair thing. Just felt like saying that since I don't think anyone has even mentioned it which surprised me.

I enjoyed the episode, and I was glad to see Wesley interrupt Angel's speech. I remember watching the special features on the Buffy dvd's and Joss stating that one of the things that he liked about his show was that there weren't speeches. Then I thought about all those horrendous speeches in season 7 of Buffy, and it looked like they were starting that here so I was happy to see it cut short.
Old 03-04-04, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Acker looked pretty good and she had a nude scene to boot. I don't know how long I can stand her in the new uniform though. It's a little too superhero comic book for me. I guess some people like the tight leather/latex, but the micro-mini skirts were working just fine for me.
Old 03-04-04, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome ep.

One last thing about Angel's ending. I find it totally ironic, and life is cruelly funny that way, that some people think early this season was weak, ect. Now with the last handful of episodes and the final 6(?) left, now everyone is pissed off that it is ending because the episode have been good. Funny huh?

Personally, I think W & H has something to do w/ Illyia's temple being destroyed. It will backfire.
Old 03-04-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have to agree we have had an overall story arc this season: how Wolfram & Hart has slowly corrupted the group.

However, I hate how this show has messed with the female characters. Cordelia was the strong, moral female center. That was sorta passed onto Fred. Now, we don't really have either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.