Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Mobile Video ( CAR dvd player/gear) THREAD help..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent seen too many threads on this topic. I am interested in buying at least a dvd/cd/monitor unit for the car. Hopefully w/ a tv tuner. How much? Are there any cool deals? What got me interested was seeing these in mags like the Crutchfield catalogs. Maybe you can post links to sites with more info on mobile video as well as forums. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 03-04-04, 09:33 AM

I can probably help you out with any questions you have on these. Keep in mind that in most states it is illegal to have moving video in the drivers view while the vehicle is in motion. All of the units that you buy will have safety features to make sure you have the parking break on while watching a DVD/TV. What price range are you looking at?
Old 03-04-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, from what i see in Crutchfield looks like around 1K. But in San Diego's Reader they have several 1 page b/w ads for these auto/video shops with what lloks like good deals around $500 or less, which might or might not be good.
Also i heard that all you need to do is unplug the line to the brake in order to use it. I was told this at Tweeter. They cant do it, but i can.
Old 03-04-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by uNCSUcks
I can probably help you out with any questions you have on these. Keep in mind that in most states it is illegal to have moving video in the drivers view while the vehicle is in motion. All of the units that you buy will have safety features to make sure you have the parking break on while watching a DVD/TV. What price range are you looking at?
I have an in dash Alpine monitor/cd player that I got for about $1,200. I have a PS2 mounted under the dash for DVDs.

Adwhile you're right that they all have the parking brake safety feature your installer (dependeing where you go) can wire in a dummy switch so that you can have it playing anytime.
Old 03-04-04, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by boston george
I have an in dash Alpine monitor/cd player that I got for about $1,200. I have a PS2 mounted under the dash for DVDs.

Adwhile you're right that they all have the parking brake safety feature your installer (dependeing where you go) can wire in a dummy switch so that you can have it playing anytime.
I know exactly how to do that. I have installed several of these in the past, but I don't think that Geoff would appreciate us telling other people how to get around it and thus breaking the law on his forum.
Old 03-05-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, please dont. I'd like this thread to continue. For starters, are there any dash units that have dvd/cdplayer, but without a monitor, which might bring the price down to around 300- 400 ? I could add monitor later? This would be for a Honda Civic.
Old 03-05-04, 11:48 PM

You might could search on ebay and find some older units for around that price. I used to have an Alpine DVA5205 which I believe you could find for that. It doesn't have a tuner though, you have to use it with another deck. What features are you looking for? Some of the older ones won't play MP3's or burned cd's.