Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bill Murray: Sore Loser?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-03-04, 10:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

From the IMDB, so take it with a grain of salt:

Actor Bill Murray shocked guests at Sunday night's Academy Awards - when he refused to clap as rival nominee Sean Penn was named Best Actor. The Lost In Translation star looked annoyed when Nicole Kidman announced Penn had won for his performance in Mystic River. According to British newspaper The Sun, Murray later shouted at organizers, "If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered coming." The 53-year-old comedian has made no secret of his dislike of award ceremonies, and didn't show up to collect the Best Actor award at London's BAFTAs last month. Murray has said, "Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one. It's a really unattractive sight to see an actor or actress who really wants an Oscar. And you often see it on the show - you see their faces and the desperation is so ugly."
This link will work until tomorrow: http://www.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#3

I'm not sure how much is true, but whatever Murray was doing prompted Billy Crystal to say "Please stay, Bill...we love you!" after Penn picked up the award.
Old 03-03-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You'd think someone who disdains awards so much wouldn't be pissy because he didn't win one.
Old 03-03-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Bill was visibly upset...but no more than Burt Reynolds was a few years ago when Robin Williams won for Good Will Hunting (Reynolds was up for "Boogie Nights").

As for people campaigning for an award - this might be true, but nobody's going to accuse Sean Penn of campaigning...he's missed just as many (if not more) awards shows than Murray this year.

BTW, I don't think he "refused" to clap...he was probably just a little in shock. As for his comments to the organizers, they are probably taken out of context or were stated in a sarcastic way.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 03-03-04 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-03-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So... awards mean nothing, but Bill is upset... hmmm..

Ok.

I like Bill, but he sounds like an ass if that is true.
Old 03-03-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bill needs to chill out and rock to "I'm All Right" for a few hours. It'll clear his head.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is true, I'm sure it's Murray just being funny. It seems his humour gets more and more dry and sarcastic as he gets older.
Retired

Sounds like Sour Grapes.

Penn deserved the win. I loved LiT, but Penn's performance greatly topped Murray's IMO.
Old 03-03-04, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol I thought that when they cut to his face..
Old 03-03-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I think Penn did give the better performance, I for all we know Murray might get one for Life Aquatica if he is in it. (I think he is, isn't he?)
Old 03-03-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Eh, half the time IMDB's stuff is full of shit anyway. I consider them as reliable a news source as The National Enquirer. Murray wasn't happy I imagine, but I can't see him shouting at people like they said.
Old 03-03-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I welcome this. In a race close as this, there HAS to be dissappointment, and I positively detest when another actor who's never won the award, flashes a bigh smile upon not hearing is name and goes into an overproductive pantomine of applause. It's OK to feel slighted, it's even human. I wouldn't go so far as to call it classy, but I don't hold it against him or anyone else when they chose humanity over a show.
Old 03-03-04, 11:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure he'll win sometime in the next couple of years, for a film nowhere near Lost In Translation in quality, beating a superior performance by someone else, who will have to wait until the NEXT year to get theirs.
Old 03-03-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kinda like Russell Crowe ...
Old 03-03-04, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Kinda like Russell Crowe ...
I kinda like Russell Crowe too. But I really like the old chicken mc-nuggets. It was fun predicting how many dark meat nuggets I would get when I ordered a 6 piece. All white meat nuggets suck.
Old 03-03-04, 12:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I think Penn did give the better performance, I for all we know Murray might get one for Life Aquatica if he is in it. (I think he is, isn't he?)
Not only is he in it, but he's the lead. However, I heard he fired his agent over the role, and he's not too happy with it. Again, take this with a grain of salt.
Old 03-03-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
I thought the firing the agent remark was a joke he made in some acceptance speech.
Old 03-03-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would be silly for Murray to fire his agent over Life Aquatic, he said he would work with Wes Anderson for free. I bet his agent had nothing to do with it, if anything his agent didn't want him to take the role so he fired him.

I'm sure Murray will win an Oscar sometime, but he probably won't be as great as he was in LiT.
Old 03-03-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Drop
It would be silly for Murray to fire his agent over Life Aquatic, he said he would work with Wes Anderson for free. I bet his agent had nothing to do with it, if anything his agent didn't want him to take the role so he fired him.

I'm sure Murray will win an Oscar sometime, but he probably won't be as great as he was in LiT.
I completely agree.
Old 03-03-04, 12:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Eh, half the time IMDB's stuff is full of shit anyway.
You're being kind...
Old 03-03-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Murray was still in his LIT character during the Oscar show - a little depressed and lifeworn, disappointed but resigned...and didn't care if his true feelings showed through. He actually might have been the only person NOT "acting" that night.
Old 03-03-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Groucho
Not only is he in it, but he's the lead. However, I heard he fired his agent over the role, and he's not too happy with it. Again, take this with a grain of salt.
He has an agent? I think that's what really costed him the vote. The Campaigning that focus features can do and being unrepresented didn't offer much in the way of bringing the For your consideration ad's besides the new posters that were released after the anouncement. Where as mystic river had tons and tons of print ad's in the daily industry papers.
Old 03-03-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Maybe all this means he is ready for Ghostbusters 3!
Old 03-03-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Murray wasn't visibly upset, since to be so, you have to at least look otherwise for a little while.

With exception of a smirk or two, Murray looked exactly the same before and after he lost the award.

And anyway, who listens to The Sun?
Old 03-03-04, 03:44 PM
Banned

Chances are that the comments made in that article were Murray being sarcastic. He is a very sarcastic guy and his humor is only evident when you here him speak. Transcribing it in writing doesn't work.
Old 03-03-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
He might get another nomination for the upcoming Wes Anderson movie in which he stars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.