Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Passion - Potential for Repeat Viewings

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will you go see Passion of the Christ again?
Yes. I loved the film and will see it again.
38.55%
No. Once was enough.
37.35%
Not only will I see it again, I will bring someone else with me.
6.02%
I don't even plan to see it once.
18.07%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious about this. The Passion of the Christ is racking up record boxoffice in its first weekend. Due to the opening numbers, some sites are projecting it will do better than 200 mil (or even higher). It will probably take repeat business to reach that. I don't think this is the type of film that will get much repeat business.

For those who have seen the film, will you go see it again? Please post the reasons for your response.

Mods: I know the desire is to keep the Passion threads to a minimum and the temptation would be to close this one since there is a thread on the money Passion will make. However, I'm interested in knowing how many will see this film again.
Old 02-29-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just don't think I could put myself through that viewing experience again in the short term. Perhaps in a year or two.
Old 02-29-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did see it. And seeing that a "Once was more than enough" option was not there, I voted "Once was enough."
Old 02-29-04, 11:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't know about the high potential for repeat viewings, but it does have a high potential for repeat new threads.
Old 02-29-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I don't know about the high potential for repeat viewings, but it does have a high potential for repeat new threads.
I apologize if this is considered a "repeat" thread. While I believe it might be possible (although unlikely) to go through the main review thread and try to tabulate from the posts how many would see this more than once, it would be a daunting task as the thread is now at 264 posts. Once threads get that long, it's pretty hard to read them and they have usually gone off topic several times to argue other points.

In the "money" thread, this was discussed briefly but it was hard to get a read on where people stood. I posted that not many would go see this twice and several responded that they would. This piqued my curiosity. Then sites like boxofficemojo start predicting big box office comparing it to LOTR and SWTPM. I think this is a completely different type of film with less potential for repeat viewing. I began to wonder how many who actually saw the film would go again. Thus the poll.

If the mods want to close it or there is not much interest, your concern will take care of itself.
Old 02-29-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dunno. I'll see it again with my dad, but that will be the last time I see it in theaters.

I'm still wondering who's going to get the DVD rights...
Old 02-29-04, 12:08 PM
Zee

I know two sixteen-year-old girls who have each seen the movie twice. Personally, I think that I will watch it again, but I might have to wait for it on DVD before I'll really be able to go back to it.
Old 02-29-04, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by DGibFen
I dunno. I'll see it again with my dad, but that will be the last time I see it in theaters.

I'm still wondering who's going to get the DVD rights...
Fox
Old 02-29-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've already seen it three times and will see it many more times, I'm sure.

But again, I do that with lots of films - I'm not the "typical" moviegoer in that regard.

Although I expect many people will go and see it again - bringing somebody to it who hasn't seen it yet. I've stood outside the theater as people have been coming out to hear their responses and the response has been universal praise as far as I've heard - many, many tears and people still crying when they came out. Lots of people very much affected by the experience. Many of these people will bring others to experience the same thing.
Old 02-29-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wont see it again in theatres but I will buy it if it has enough extras on the DVD. I am glad it made $117 million so fast. I am sure mel is laughing to the bank and the studios who didnt want to finance it are kicking themselves. Who knew it would make so much money so fast...
Old 02-29-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Binger
Fox
Good choice. Perhaps we'll get a nice two disc set out of it. With DTS. And Documentaries. And Commentaries. And perhaps the Pope will bless it too.
Old 02-29-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once is way more then enough.
Old 02-29-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Once is enough. I can't imagine most of the non Christians who saw this film really would need to see it again. I rarely see movies twice in the theater (I hardly can afford seeing as many first run movies once in the theater) and save those double experiences for the movies that really are theater movies, and that I love the most.

This...really well made movie, but as a non believer no...I wasn't that moved. I have to imagine many people are like me and went more out of the controversy and curiosity and just to see a good movie (cause Braveheart was mighty fine too).
Old 03-01-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fox
(DVD rights)

Where did you read this? That is very good news indeed! This is a movie (and story behind the movie) that should make for some very interesting special features. I know Mel didn't really do a stellar commentary for Braveheart but I still hope he does one for this film. Hopefully Jim Caviezel joins him on the track. I'll bet he has plenty to talk about. Greatly looking forward to this DVD set.

On the poll, I believe my mind is changed. With it split down the middle (for those who saw the film), it looks like this one will do repeat business. If so, wow! What will it make??! I'll bet no one predicted a running comparison between Passion, ROTK, and SWTPM on boxofficemojo...and Passion is WINNING!!!

I
Old 03-01-04, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by moocher
(DVD rights)

Where did you read this? That is very good news indeed! This is a movie (and story behind the movie) that should make for some very interesting special features. I know Mel didn't really do a stellar commentary for Braveheart but I still hope he does one for this film. Hopefully Jim Caviezel joins him on the track. I'll bet he has plenty to talk about. Greatly looking forward to this DVD set.

On the poll, I believe my mind is changed. With it split down the middle (for those who saw the film), it looks like this one will do repeat business. If so, wow! What will it make??! I'll bet no one predicted a running comparison between Passion, ROTK, and SWTPM on boxofficemojo...and Passion is WINNING!!!

I
From thedigitalbits.com

Next up, we have word from Video Business that 20th Century Fox has agreed to distribute Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ on DVD. There's no word yet on a street date, but you can bet it won't take too long to get the film out on disc, given the film's $26.6 million opening on Wednesday.

Also listed on davisdvd.com
Old 03-01-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by natesfortune
Although I expect many people will go and see it again - bringing somebody to it who hasn't seen it yet. I've stood outside the theater as people have been coming out to hear their responses and the response has been universal praise as far as I've heard - many, many tears and people still crying when they came out. Lots of people very much affected by the experience. Many of these people will bring others to experience the same thing.
I'm in this category. I've already seen this once with my best friend who isn't Christian. I plan on going with as many of non-Christian friends as possible who'd be interested in seeing this film. This film truly shows what Christ went through for humanity.
Old 03-01-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's the feel good date flick of the year!
Old 03-01-04, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's the feel good date flick of the year!
Hey man, don't piss all over the rest of us that care about this flick. That's not right.
Old 03-01-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

... It's called sarcasm. It is intended to be an attempt at lite hearted humor. How exactly is that pissing all over your passion for the film?

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 03-01-04 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
... It's called sarcasm. It is intended to be an attempt at lite hearted humor. How exactly is that pissing all over your passion for the film?
You know, there are so many people dumping on this movie, on Mel and on those of us who actually believe in Jesus, that it's not hard to view even sarcasm as just another derogatory comment.
Old 03-01-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I apologize if this is considered a "repeat" thread.
Don't mind Groucho . . . he's just being old and crotchity.

As for multiple viewings, I think that this has the potential to suffer the same problem that Schindler's List did, in that people were glad that they saw it, but didn't feel like they needed to see it again.

Personally, I was very glad to have seen it, but probably would not see it again in the theater unless someone asked me to see it with them.

Unfortunately, I don't know what poll option that means that I should pick.
Old 03-01-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You know, there are so many people dumping on this movie, on Mel and on those of us who actually believe in Jesus, that it's not hard to view even sarcasm as just another derogatory comment.
Perhaps you are taking the film a bit serious.. let me correct that.. Perhaps you are taking this discussion WAAAY to serious. It's a simple question. What's the potential for repeat viewing? Did I say "Those silly blind fools who follow the ways of jesus will be more then happy to see it plenty of times. BAW HA HA HA! I LAUGH AT THEM!! THAT I DO!!!"

no. I simply made a sarcastic remark based on what I felt was the Opposite of what the film is. I don't see how it can be a film with so much rewatchablity unless you are bringing someone new with you to see it. That is my opinion on it. Take it or leave it. I didn't bash the film. Atleast not in this thread. Stop trying to read into the comments more then it is. Besides that, everyone knows the serious discussion is going on in one of the many other passions threads. Your belief in Jesus is not my concern. I don't care what you believe in. I was born and raised a catholic. Served 9 years as an alter server, went to a catholic junior high and high school. Acted in the stations of the cross many times over and was very close to going into the priesthood. Please don't even begin to start to tell me that I'm bashing your faith or mocking those that have a belief in Jesus or the holy trinity because my comment was FAR from it. Take it as a lite hearted comment and realize not everyone is against you. Once you realize that, perhaps you can take a Groucho like comment with a laugh and move on.
Old 03-01-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
Personally, I was very glad to have seen it, but probably would not see it again in the theater unless someone asked me to see it with them.

Unfortunately, I don't know what poll option that means that I should pick.
Sounds like "once was enough" for you. I would assume that most who voted "once was enough" would probably go again if "that special someone" asked them to .
Old 03-01-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like "once was enough" for you. I would assume that most who voted "once was enough" would probably go again if "that special someone" asked them to .
and thus, that perfect date flick..
Old 03-02-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well . . . yeah! In a heartbeat!

But, actually, that is not what I was thinking of. I work with the youth group at my church and two of the senior high guys asked me to go see it with them. I would gladly go again with anyone else from there who wanted me to go (assuming that they were old enough and/or they got their parents permission). A lot of the kids are interested in seeing it and they want to go with an adult (for questions, assurance, etc.), but, many times, not with their parents (teens are so funny about stuff like that ).

So, anyway, that's the situation that I was thinking of. And I'm very upset that you didn't come up with an option to cover it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.