Community
Search

Bujold on Star Trek Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-04, 10:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bujold on Star Trek Voyager

Has anyone had a chance to see Genevieve Bujold as Janeway in the Voyager extras? You can really see how unhappy she is. In one scene, after the director yells "Cut", she snears at someone off camera. Very disturbing. Why did they hire her in the first place?
Old 02-29-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was wondering why exactly did they *fire* her?

She looks stern on-camera, but I didn't catch any indications of her being unhappy in the clips I saw (admittedly I wasn't watching that closely). I found it curious that in the featurette they were so cagey about why they got rid of her - just that she would have been great on a film but after a day of shooting they knew she wouldn't work out for TV. My hypotheses were 1) personality conflicts, or 2) she couldn't learn her lines fast enough for TV, or possibly 3) she didn't like the pace of filming.

Anybody know the grisly details?

(Personally, I thought she made a better captain than Janeway, in those clips... more believable and with a non-screechy voice.)
Old 02-29-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The talk was that she was not prepared for the grueling schedule that comes with a TV shoot. Longs days and shooting the same scene over and over and over didn't sit well with her.

I believe it was noted that she had never done a television series prior to her attempt at this one.
Old 02-29-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Holly E. Ordway
(Personally, I thought she made a better captain than Janeway, in those clips... more believable and with a non-screechy voice.)
I assume you mean she made a better captain than Kate Mulgrew. Janeway is the captain.
Old 02-29-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember being very excited at the prospect of Bujold in this part and being disappointed when it fell through. I think she would have been much better than Mulgrew.

But as achau9598 noted, Bujold didn't take to it. And yes, she quit, she wasn't fired.
Old 02-29-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kate Mulgrew never really bothered me and I like the way she mixed the sternness of being a captain with warmth for the crew.

I do however know 2 people who couldnt watch the show because to them her voice was the equivilent of nails on a chalkboard. Seeing as people here have hinted about her 'screechy' voice as well, its probably more widespred than I thought.
Old 02-29-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dazed
I do however know 2 people who couldnt watch the show because to them her voice was the equivilent of nails on a chalkboard. Seeing as people here have hinted about her 'screechy' voice as well, its probably more widespred than I thought.
Mmmmhmmmm. Couldn't watch the show for exactly that reason. She sounded like she had beamed over from the USS Helium.
Old 02-29-04, 05:32 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
That's what too much smoking will do for you.
Old 03-01-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it was also reported that she hated all the techno-babble.
Old 03-01-04, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Chew
I think it was also reported that she hated all the techno-babble.
And she also hated the wardrobe people making costume adjustments between takes (she seemed to feel a bit like she was being "felt-up").

There was a brief article in TV Guide about the circumstances of her leaving the show. It might've been the issue that came out the week the show premiered.
Old 03-01-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mythmaker18
And she also hated the wardrobe people making costume adjustments between takes (she seemed to feel a bit like she was being "felt-up").

There was a brief article in TV Guide about the circumstances of her leaving the show. It might've been the issue that came out the week the show premiered.
George's father has that issue.
Old 03-01-04, 09:34 AM

I watched that featurette last night, after finishing the series. I couldn't imagine Bujold would be believable as a starship captain to the fans. She was so small and timid, made little eye-contact... not to mention the accent made her hard to understand. I don't care much for Mulgrew's voice either, but she plays the role believably.
Old 03-01-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by movielib
George's father has that issue.
He has all of them.
Old 03-01-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by obscurelabel
He has all of them.
There is one missing.
Old 03-01-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bahhh, just give me Picard and Sisko!
Old 03-01-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Timber
There is one missing.
The Al Roker cover. He probably picked up a replacement on eBay.
Old 03-01-04, 01:18 PM
Cool New Member

I had heard that she quit because she wasn't willing to fulfill obligations outside of the television show. In other words, she didn't want to have to make a certain number of appearances at Star Trek Conventions and other promotional events.
Old 03-03-04, 10:03 AM

After watching the footage of Bujold on Star Trek: Voyager, I gained even more appreciation for Kate Mulgrew as Janeway. I felt like Bujold was sleepwalking through her lines, she had NO personality, NO humor . . . I just felt nothing from her at all. And as annoying as Mulgrew's voice is to some, Bujold's heavy accent would have driven me completely nuts after seven years.
Old 03-04-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sunday November 27, 1994, edition of Parade Magazine had the following in the "Walter Scott's Personality Parade" Q&A section:

Q I understand that Genevieve Bujold was all set to play the first-ever female Star Trek captain in the upcoming TV series "Star Trek: Voyager" but that she resigned at the last minute. What exactly happened? And did the actress complete any episodes before she quit?--Christopher Lake, Denver, Colo.

A The tempestuous Ms. Bujold quit before she could make her first entry in the captain's log. Just two days into taping[sic] the first episode of the new "Voyager" series--the third spinoff of Gene Reddenberry's sci-fi classic--the 52-year-old Canadian-born actress stormed off the set. It has been reported that she didn't like the script, the costumes and--according to at least one account--a request that she pad her bra. But the major factor was the hectic production schedule. "She realized it wasn't for her," said Bujold's publicist, "and she wanted to let people know sooner rather than later." The producers replaced her with Kate Mulgrew, 39. She will co-star in the role of Capt. Kathryn Janeway, commander of the starship "Voyager," with Robert Beltran, who plays First Officer Chakotay, and Tim Russ as Starfleet Tactical Security Officer Tuvok
Old 03-04-04, 01:05 PM

I saw the extra bit, and frankly, bujold is an awful Janeway. Kate Mulgrew is much much better.

Bujold just didn't have that leadership over the crew, and didn't look right, too skinny, too much of an accent.
Old 03-04-04, 02:45 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know about you guys, but I've always thought Janeway was a bit hot. Anyways glad she got the part.
Old 03-04-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hear, hear!

Originally posted by Admiral7
After watching the footage of Bujold on Star Trek: Voyager, I gained even more appreciation for Kate Mulgrew as Janeway. I felt like Bujold was sleepwalking through her lines, she had NO personality, NO humor . . . I just felt nothing from her at all. And as annoying as Mulgrew's voice is to some, Bujold's heavy accent would have driven me completely nuts after seven years.
Kate rules! As for DS9, I just didn't appreciate the whole "space soap opera" thing.
Old 03-04-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always prefered Voyager over DS9. TNG is still the best though (wish I could afford those episodes on DVD!!!)
Old 03-04-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have to disagree. Overall, I prefer DS9 over Voyager. Although Voyager has some good episodes and DS9 has some clunkers.
Old 03-04-04, 09:46 PM

Hey, everybody. First post here.
Funny about Kate, her costars will tell you she says "I don't talk that way!" in her trademark nasally voice. I mostly knew her from McMillan and Wife and thought I really would not like her as a captain but I think she really came into the role and developed the character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.