Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Sony DVD player up converts standard DVDs to 1080i/720p

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-28-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sony recently announced a new DVD player that upconverts standard DVDs to 1080i/720p. Does it truely make it HDDVD with the exact same quality? Will this be the first player of its kind on the market? I am going to be all over this when it comes out in September.

Here are the vitals:

Leading this year's DVD lineup is the DVP-NS975V, a Super Audio/DVD/CD player with HDMI for 1080i/720p up-scaling capabilities. This new single-disc player offers a solution to consumers who have upgraded their home theater system with HDTV sets to enjoy full HD resolution while watching DVD movies. The DVP-NS975V is able to up-scale the DVD native resolution to output high-definition formats (720p/1080i). The up-scaling process occurs through the 19-pin HDMI connection, which minimizes loss of data or additional video noise than can occur with analog convergence.

The models feature multi-media capabilities such as playback of Super Audio CD, DVD-RW/-R, DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/RW formats, which allows home entertainment enthusiasts to enjoy the multitude of high quality output no matter what media format they choose. The DVP-NS975V also offers simple navigation and disc management with such features as 40-disc resume memory and picture navigation. The DVP-NS975V will be available in September for about $300.
Old 02-28-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all over this player if this improves the picture to look like a true HD picture and I can get that HDMI connection connected to my Sony HDTV.
Old 02-28-04, 11:11 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
No, it can't make a DVD look like HD or anything near it.

I regularly upconvert DVD to 1080i on my HTPC. The picture is marginally better (sharper mostly) in the majority of cases. It's never majorly better.

With bad source material it looks better back at 480p where the slightly softer picture smooths over some of the imperfections.
Old 02-29-04, 02:27 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, there are already a few other DVD players out there that do this (and for much cheaper). These include the Bravo D1, Momitsu v880, and the LG LST-3510A. That last one is both a DVD player AND an ATSC HDTV Receiver and is only $400 - 450. And, no, none of these can produce true HD-DVD, as they are limited by the DVD source material.
Old 02-29-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Does it truely make it HDDVD with the exact same quality?
No.
Old 02-29-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I've seen a few of these players personally and was not impressed in the least bit.
Old 03-01-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bigger the screen you have, the bigger the difference it will make. I have a 32 inch screen and it would sharpen up the picture a bit, but if I have a 50 inch widescreen, then I would be able to notice a bigger difference.

Another advantage to having a DVD with a DVI connection, it should have better specs/chips, which will give you a better picture quality than an average DVD player.

The next DVD player I purchase will have a DVI connection on it, why not have the best picture possible. But until then, I will enjoy the progressive JVC DVD player I now have.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 03-01-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 10:58 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The marginal increase in picture quality I mentioned is on a 53" RPTV.

When you get into sets other than analog tubes this subject becomes more complicated as matching your resolution pixel-for-pixel becomes a bigger factor than simple upconversion or DVI interface.
Old 03-01-04, 05:12 PM

Also, there will be a much bigger effect (if the Sony has a good scaler) with digital displays than analog, especially if the display is 720p native.
Old 03-02-04, 05:58 PM

Upsampling is ok but the distressing thing is that Multichannel Audio isn't going to be passed by the HDMI connection.

I'll purchase another DVD player when it has these features

Universal- I want DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD
HDMI- I want the Video "and" Multichannel Audio on "one" cable
Upsampling- Will be standard fare next year.
Changer- Wouldn't mind seeing a MegaChanger with these features with control(HTPC, Escient etc)

I'll probably be waiting for another year or two but that's fine. It'll take sometime to get decent priced gear with HDMI connections(really receivers that is TV and DVD are the first).