DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : CLub Dread

whynotsmile
02-28-04, 11:19 AM
Mixed bag. I was in the mood for a real silly comedy, and for the first 20-30 minutes it delievered great. it was rather hilarious, with a lot of lines and jokes i'll be quoting with friends for a while. But then it got bad. real bad. THere would be 3-4 minutes without telling jokes! They tried to really make it a horror film, with so many jump scenes and graphic murders. And none of it was funny, because they didnt add freakin jokes! I felt this was right on par with super troopers. some funny stuff mixed in with a lot of boring, unfunny crap. THese guys have talent and are very funny, but they need some outside help in the writing and directing and editing of their movies.

plus, it seemed really damn long. I think it was only 1:45 minutes, but the middle dragged so much it felt way over 2 hours

Mopower
02-28-04, 11:49 AM
I thought it was ok. Had funny moments. Couple of laugh out loud moments. But not nearly as funny as Super Troopers. Seeing Brittany Daniel in next to nothing the whole movie was worth admission in itself. ;)

The Baumer
02-28-04, 12:42 PM
i give it 1 outta 5 stars. the beginning was good, but that was it. it needed more gratuitous nudity throughout.

Trigger
02-28-04, 04:52 PM
I don't think it was on par with Super Troopers. ST was alot more funny. As everyone else is saying, it started out good and funny but the third act dragged its feet. I think they have alot of potential and hopefully a third (fourth) effort will have them hitting their stride. I'd hate to see outside influences completely obliterate the quirky and clumsy nature of their filmmaking.

Jackskeleton
02-28-04, 04:55 PM
I didn't think it was anywhere near Super Troopers. I agree with trigger on this. Anyone know what outside influences were there that might have screwed up the film?

Needed more gratuitous nudity. :p

Matthew Chmiel
02-28-04, 08:08 PM
I enjoyed the film, but it was no Super Troopers.

While Super Troopers was mostly hit, Club Dread has it's share of hits and misses when it comes to the jokes in the film. The problem I had with the third act, is that the film didn't know if it wanted to be a slasher or a comedy where the first two acts (not perfectly) blended the two genres.

I liked the film, but I've seen funnier this year (Eurotrip and The Girl Next Door come to mind).

Oh man, when I saw USA High's Elena Lyons get naked, my penis started t.... eh... nevermind, that's more for the Mature forum. But let me just say this, it was nice to see her topless after lusting after her when I was a pre-teen when that show was on the air. :)

fumanstan
02-28-04, 10:45 PM
Thanks Matthew, i wanted to see this before, but i now have a bigger reason to watch this movie.

Trigger
02-29-04, 04:54 PM
If you guys are talking about the chick who played penel-ope, she was all ribs and bad implants. I kinda threw up in my mouth a little when she took her shirt off.

Matthew Chmiel
02-29-04, 05:36 PM
No Trigger. I'm not talking about Penel-ope (who was played by Cabin Fever's Jordan Ladd), I'm talking about Elena Lyons.

Elena Lyons is the first female to appear in the film, the one with the brown hair. She's the one going down on the pot head before he's killed, then the blonde hair girl is killed, and then she is killed... cue opening title. :)

BTW, after much thought, I think the film's "real life depection of the game Pac-Man" is one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen in a major motion picture. :)

Jackskeleton
02-29-04, 06:05 PM
BTW, after much thought, I think the film's "real life depection of the game Pac-Man" is one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen in a major motion picture.

I couldn't agree with you more. Amazing.

Trigger
02-29-04, 06:08 PM
I don't understand how you guys know the names of all these obscure girls. Does this have something to do with Maxim or Stuff or Spank or whatever?

Anyway - I totally agree about the Pac Man... that was quite brilliant.

Matthew Chmiel
02-29-04, 06:20 PM
I don't understand how you guys know the names of all these obscure girls. Does this have something to do with Maxim or Stuff or Spank or whatever?
When I was a pathetic little thirteen year old, everyday at 5:30pm, I would watch USA High on USA Network and Elena Lyons was a cast member on it. The show was a pathetic Saved by the Bell rip-off, but I had nothing better to do. :)

Five years later, how I still remember her name, is pretty much beyond me. :)

Trigger
02-29-04, 06:23 PM
I think I've seen USA High a few times, but I wouldn't be able to point out someone who was in it let alone remember their name.

milo bloom
02-29-04, 08:16 PM
Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The jokes did seem to die off after a while, and it tried to turn into a serious slasher flick.

Liked the gratuitous nudity :lol:

fumanstan
02-29-04, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
When I was a pathetic little thirteen year old, everyday at 5:30pm, I would watch USA High on USA Network and Elena Lyons was a cast member on it. The show was a pathetic Saved by the Bell rip-off, but I had nothing better to do. :)

Five years later, how I still remember her name, is pretty much beyond me. :)

I remember her from that show too. Saved by the Bell ripoffs rule.

Trigger
03-01-04, 08:40 AM
Wasn't there a saved by the bell ripoff called California Dreamin or something where the kids were in a band together and one of the kids was clearly 35 years old and wore a leather jacket and acted all tuff?

B.A.
03-01-04, 09:02 AM
Trigger, yes there was a California Dreams. And I think Kelly Packard was in it. Edit to add - just checked and she was. I'm going back to my hole now.

Adam Tyner
03-01-04, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Trigger
I think I've seen USA High a few times, but I wouldn't be able to point out someone who was in it let alone remember their name.

Sadly, I could probably point out everyone in the main cast except the Lead Male Heartthrob, who's kind of indistinguishable from the Lead Male Heartthrob in all those dozens of other Peter Engel series. Kristen Miller should be pretty easy to spot -- she's gone on to do a bunch of stuff. Angela Visser was once Miss Universe, and she also co-starred in my second favorite Killer Tomatoes flick, Killer Tomatoes Eat France.

Patman
03-01-04, 02:59 PM
Jordan Ladd has implants?

Mopower
03-01-04, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Patman
Jordan Ladd has implants?

Obviously. It looked as if they implanted two tennis balls in there.

whynotsmile
03-02-04, 12:14 AM
penelope had a nice rack, but the blonde chick was hotter. and whats this about the pac man game? i didnt find it that funny. i mean, it didn't look like pac man at all. unless im an idiot, i dont rememer fruit in pacman. only ghosts and dots. and the guy drank from an orange at the end of hte race. how in the shit is this pacman?

fumanstan
03-02-04, 12:17 AM
The fruit in Pac Man made you able to eat the Ghosts. Duh!

Jackskeleton
03-02-04, 12:34 AM
sheesh, how wrong can you be? The fruit was bonus points that showed up randomly. the blinking slightly bigger dots are what let you eat ghost. In the case of the real life game, the drinking equaled the blinking dots. duh!

fumanstan
03-02-04, 12:49 AM
Oops! Stupid fruit!

Matthew Chmiel
03-02-04, 12:54 AM
Reasons why the game of Pac-Man was brilliantly portrayed in Club Dread:

1. A hedge maze was used.
2. Drinking was involved for the bigger "yellow" dots in able to "eat" the "Ghosts."
3. When said person got to drink, the "Ghosts" went from clothed to being in bikinis.
4. Fruit would come in and out of the maze.
5. The intimate relationship between the Pretzel and Watermelon.
6. The use of actual Pac-Man music.
7. The fact that Broken Lizard actually came up with a "real-life" game of Pac-Man to play at an island resort is genius. ;)

Jackskeleton
03-02-04, 12:56 AM
Tru.dat!

B.A.
03-02-04, 09:13 AM
So is it worth seeing the film just to see this live-action Pac-Man game?

Are there more positives than negatives to this film?

milo bloom
03-02-04, 12:00 PM
It's a "B" movie in the best possible way:
boobs, blood and blunts.

And the PacMan bit is very funny.

mdc3000
03-02-04, 12:13 PM
I was shocked at how unfunny this movie was. I LOVED Super Troopers... saw it on opening day and went back a few times...but most of this film just fell flat. Lars and Juan were hilarious, but some of the other characters were just flat.

There are about 5 or 6 good solid laughs...stuff that I would probably even classify as Brilliant...but seeing as ST had the same in the first 10 MINUTES ALONE... I certainly wouldn't call that a recommendation. I hope the next Broken Lizard film can be a bit more even...

MATT

2 out of 5 stars

steebo777
03-03-04, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mdc3000
I was shocked at how unfunny this movie was. I LOVED Super Troopers... saw it on opening day and went back a few times...but most of this film just fell flat. Lars and Juan were hilarious, but some of the other characters were just flat.

There are about 5 or 6 good solid laughs...stuff that I would probably even classify as Brilliant...but seeing as ST had the same in the first 10 MINUTES ALONE... I certainly wouldn't call that a recommendation. I hope the next Broken Lizard film can be a bit more even...

MATT

2 out of 5 stars
I thought the same thing as you said, except for the ST comments. I did not like it at all, meanwhile my roomie is a huge fan of the film.

Giles
03-03-04, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by B.A.
So is it worth seeing the film just to see this live-action Pac-Man game?

Are there more positives than negatives to this film?

don't even bother paying matinee price for this. It's perfect cable fodder.

wow, what an insanely bad movie, a comedy that isn't funny and a horror film that is lame. This movie makes Troma's film look like works of art. Sans the ending, which is a smidgen funny the killer's multiple dying sequences there was nothing I found remotely unique. The humour was bland and pathetic- I chuckled only once. "Super Troopers" was funny, this isn't.

Trigger
03-04-04, 05:34 AM
To each his own I guess, cuz the part you found to be a smidgen funny was the part I found was the most tired and cliche and obvious joke. I thought there was enough there in this film to warrant a viewing, but it's not in any way up to par with ST. I'm gonna pick up the DVD though cuz I have a feeling that it's the type of film that might get funnier upon many repeat viewings.

scott shelton
03-07-04, 01:10 PM
Well, the film dropped an alarming 76% in this weekend's box office.

IMO, I hope the Broken Lizard are finished.

Matthew Chmiel
03-07-04, 01:23 PM
IMO, I hope the Broken Lizard are finished.
Broken Lizard will still make movies as Super Troopers pulled in a huge profit for Fox Searchlight. Fox Searchlight could've made more money off Club Dread if they:

A) Promoted it more (I didn't see television spots till a week before it's release).
B) Didn't have it go against The Passion of the Christ.

It was just released at the wrong time. They're fourth film is going into production soon and they're also considering to make a Super Troopers 2 due to the huge fan base of the film. They're not finished, just yet anyway.

scott shelton
03-07-04, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Broken Lizard will still make movies as Super Troopers pulled in a huge profit for Fox Searchlight. Fox Searchlight could've made more money off Club Dread if they:

A) Promoted it more (I didn't see television spots till a week before it's release).
B) Didn't have it go against The Passion of the Christ.

It was just released at the wrong time. They're fourth film is going into production soon and they're also considering to make a Super Troopers 2 due to the huge fan base of the film. They're not finished, just yet anyway.

Wow. You love me, don't ya, Chmiel?

CLUB DREAD was heavily supported by Fox. Radio ads up the wazoo, TV ads, cast press tours... They even snuck GIRL NEXT DOOR partially to get some extra eyes on the DREAD trailer.

And while PASSION took the front pages, I don't think it shared the same demo as CLUB DREAD.

How about C) It wasn't a good movie?

Matthew Chmiel
03-07-04, 02:44 PM
CLUB DREAD was heavily supported by Fox. Radio ads up the wazoo, TV ads, cast press tours... They even snuck GIRL NEXT DOOR partially to get some extra eyes on the DREAD trailer.
Wow. I must've missed all the promotions especially hearing no radio spots, I only saw a handful of television spots (and they were mostly on Comedy Central and VH1), and... well I didn't see any cast press tours cause I'm not a member of the press.

I saw The Girl Next Door sneak preview and there was not a single trailer before that film. The theater turned dark and the film began (like most every other sneak preview I have seen).

Jackskeleton
03-07-04, 03:39 PM
If you notice those promotions the marketing on club dread sucked. they made it seem like a sorta Suvrivor where people get killed when it wasn't that at all. They even mention something about guest coming on the island and not going off... well I don't recall any guest dying.

This was marketed wrong. It wasn't a great film by any extent, but it wasn't marketed well either.

Matthew Chmiel
03-07-04, 03:42 PM
This was marketed wrong.
The only marketing I saw was with a huge logo saying "This Friday" with the announcer thinking he was at a monster truck rally. So to say that is true too. :) The marketing spots also promoted heavily that the film would be another Super Troopers. When I went into the film, I was expecting a horror/comedy, not a slapstick humor fest like Super Troopers. This could also be another reason why so many people were disapointed with the film (going in expecting something specifically, and leaving with getting something completely different).

ArchibaldTuttle
03-07-04, 05:52 PM
club dread was a disappointment, but I love broken lizard so...

imo, I hope broken lizard is only getting started

Spiderbite
08-01-05, 11:59 PM
I just caught this movie on HBO-HD and thought it was great! One of the more enjoyable horror-comedies I have seen in years (with great exception to Shaun of the Dead). How did I miss this one?

By the way...the main chick Brittany Daniel was one of the hottest chicks I have ever seen and she was in the best shape. She was awesomely cut but not too muscular. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

mndtrp
08-02-05, 03:37 AM
I didn't like the movie the first time I saw it, but I was expecting something similar to Troopers. After seeing it a second time, I thought it was pretty good. Just about everything a 'B' movie should have, as someone else pointed out.

Pac-Man rocked.
Brittany Daniel is smokin' hot.
Multiple deaths are cliche'd, but funny when used in an obvious joke.

Fincher Fan
08-02-05, 11:00 PM
"I guess some girls are just tighter than others."

How can you not love the movie for that one line?!?