Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Input

I recently purchased a surround system, Infinity speakers but the low end of the line, I paid for an installer to set it up and am dissappointed. I have excess wiring from the reciever to the speakers about 2 feet extra, that doesn't seem right, the tech was suppose to sit down with me and show throughly the system he didnt and in the store i purchased it from the exact system sounded better. I am reluctant to call them as the first time they came out was horrible. Hope I didn't get rooked?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-27-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before anyone will be able to offer advice you need to explain a bit more of what happened. What is the model number of the speakers? What kind of amp or receiver are they connected to? How many speakers did you buy? Is this a stereo or surround setup? What did you pay the installer to do? Did he calibrate the speakers to your listening environment? You say he didn't explain the system to you as you thought he would. What is it you don't understand? Maybe you don't have the amp or receiver setup to give you the options you want.

You have two choices. You can either try to figure it out yourself with the help of forums members or you can "get rooked" by not getting the service you paid for. Lastly listening to speakers in a store or demo room will never sound the same as in your own room due to the accoustics being different.
Old 02-28-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Need Input

Originally posted by justlinks22
I recently purchased a surround system, Infinity speakers but the low end of the line, I paid for an installer to set it up and am dissappointed. I have excess wiring from the reciever to the speakers about 2 feet extra, that doesn't seem right, the tech was suppose to sit down with me and show throughly the system he didnt and in the store i purchased it from the exact system sounded better. I am reluctant to call them as the first time they came out was horrible. Hope I didn't get rooked?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The excess wiring does not matter. Even at $1.00 a foot you only spent a few extral dollars and it will have no impact on the sound.

If he did not show you how to "use" the system I would call the store manager.

As for what to do, I would try to become more knowledgeable yourself. Without too much effort you could be in a better position to do this yourself than paying someone.

Good luck.