Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

School of Rock -- Good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious if School of Rock is a good blind buy?

I heard some decent reviews about it when the movie was in theatres, but I've seen nothing with Jack Black in it.

How's the replay value? The 1st viewing of something like Sister Act 1/2 was funny but it kinda sucks the second times.

Or maybe I should just rent?
Old 02-25-04, 12:11 PM

I was wondering about this too. I do like Jack Black though so maybe its worth a chance.
Old 02-25-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wondering here as well...
Old 02-25-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved School of Rock in the theater and felt it had great reply value - been looking forward to picking this up for a few months now
Old 02-25-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
YES
Old 02-25-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes it would make a good blind buy. I checked it out last year and it was very entertaining. Great comedy, music, story; you're bound to like something about it. I also hear that the DVD contains some nice extras. I think I'll pick it up.
Old 02-25-04, 02:35 PM

Great movie, one of my favorites from last year. Jack Black proves he's one of the funniest guys ever. I was a little unsure before I saw the film, and walked out feeling great. Melt some faces and raise your goblet of ROCK!
Old 02-25-04, 04:27 PM

Jack Black makes this film, without him it would have been terrible! I really enjoyed it - great fun
Old 02-25-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed it as well....& came out smiling. It was just such light hearted confident good natured fun,which is very rare for a film today considering it was cute,but not trying to be cute. There is a difference.

IE-Kindergarden Cop tries to be 'cute' with the kids & fails miserably. Very Hollywood,very annoying & obvious. Note this also deserves its PG-13 rating...but not School of Rock(see below).

Here the kids actually are good in there roles & not overdone with there charecters..& are adorable since again the confident enthusiasm shines through with the entire cast,Jack Black rules as well.

Will it have much replay value? I don't know,but I am sure it will hold up if you don't watch it 24/7. Like whenever you are feeling down,bored with the lackluster films today. It would definitely be good to watch to get your spirits up.

Also about that rating. The MPAA need a smack upside the head for that one. With all the vulgar PG & PG-13 films of the last few years. Why this light hearted very non offensive film got a PG-13 is beyond me. The MPAA reasoning was 'for drug reference'. Yet the drug reference is a throw away brief passing line. The movie is SO PG in my opinion & deserves that rating. It is appropriate for the entire family(unless they are major prudes).

Anyway this is why I say,don't base movie appropriateness on ratings alone. Since the MPAA really needs their heads examined with the reasonings for giving out various ratings.
Old 02-25-04, 09:46 PM

Thanks guys

I think I'll find an old non-anamorphic 1 disc movie that I bought duing my pre-dvdtalk naïveté DVD purchasing and head to my nearest BBV
Old 02-26-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say yes because I love Jack Black. Otherwise, I'd say if you want a movie good for both parents and kids, it's great, and if you like feelgood movies that have hopelessly sappy endings, go for it. I loved it personally.
Old 02-26-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't believe Kindergarten Cop got dissed
Old 02-26-04, 07:57 AM

Loved IT!

Saw it twice, in the same week, when it was out theatrically. I hardly ever see a movie twice in theatres, let alone in the same week. Can't wait to pick up the disc. It'll test your head, and your mind, and your brain.

Last edited by GeneralZod; 02-26-04 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-28-04, 03:48 PM

Definately go for it. It got great reviews in theatres and looks like its getting solid dvd reviews as well. I mean it's Jack Black come on!
Old 02-29-04, 05:07 PM

I loved it in theatres. If you like rock, you'll be all over it. It's also a really cute, sweet, funny movie..very optimistic..unlike some movies released this month...that try a bit too hard..and focus on all that we shouldn't.
Old 02-29-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not a tumor.
Old 02-29-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should be reading stories about bears who go shopping!
Old 03-01-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I liked this one a lot, even though it tends to be more cute than biting. Still, it's all about the love of rock, and that can never be a bad thing.......

Here's my full review , if you're bored...
Old 03-01-04, 02:40 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good film, but I think its geared towards a younger audience. I found it be a kinda feel good movie. If you're looking for a comedy like a Ben Stiller film, this isn't the one for you.

Last edited by Fok; 03-01-04 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 09:38 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Saw it... Got it... Love it... Get it!
Old 03-02-04, 11:22 PM

Kids loved it, wife and I loved it, and grandparents loved it.

Wish they would have added bloopers, deleted scenes, and side takes from the cast and crew, would have added a lot to the DVD.
Old 03-03-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think anybody who likes Jack Black should love this movie. To me it was just him doing a cleaned up version of his Tenacious D persona. Anybody who was ever a fan of 70's rock should also love it. It was much better than I had expected, and I had seen all the good reviews.

I just watched it last night, then I went and read the reviews on IMDB. I couldn't believe how many bad reviews there were, and several by people who claimed to be fans of Jack Black. They must've really hated those kids. The movie critics loved it. It got a 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes which is pretty rare.
Old 03-03-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Fok
Good film, but I think its geared towards a younger audience. I found it be a kinda feel good movie. If you're looking for a comedy like a Ben Stiller film, this isn't the one for you.
I could imagine Ben Stiller doing this movie. It would start with Jack Black getting the substitute teacher job because the regular teacher got killed in a snow plow accident.
Old 03-03-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Julie Walker

Also about that rating. The MPAA need a smack upside the head for that one. With all the vulgar PG & PG-13 films of the last few years. Why this light hearted very non offensive film got a PG-13 is beyond me. The MPAA reasoning was 'for drug reference'. Yet the drug reference is a throw away brief passing line. The movie is SO PG in my opinion & deserves that rating. It is appropriate for the entire family(unless they are major prudes).

Anyway this is why I say,don't base movie appropriateness on ratings alone. Since the MPAA really needs their heads examined with the reasonings for giving out various ratings.
I agree, and Roger Ebert said the same thing

"Note: I have absolutely no clue why the movie is rated PG-13. There's "rude humor and some drug references," the MPAA says. There's not a kid alive who would be anything but delighted by this film. It belongs on the MPAA's List of Shame with "Whale Rider" and "Bend It Like Beckham," two other PG-13 films perfect for the family."

I didn't even notice the ratings on Whale Rider and Bend it Like Beckham. I can't believe what rates a PG-13! That's ridiculous.
Old 03-03-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Roto
I agree, and Roger Ebert said the same thing

"Note: I have absolutely no clue why the movie is rated PG-13. There's "rude humor and some drug references," the MPAA says. There's not a kid alive who would be anything but delighted by this film. It belongs on the MPAA's List of Shame with "Whale Rider" and "Bend It Like Beckham," two other PG-13 films perfect for the family."

I didn't even notice the ratings on Whale Rider and Bend it Like Beckham. I can't believe what rates a PG-13! That's ridiculous.
screenit.com's look at bend it like beckham.
Here's a quick look at the content found in this drama that's been rated PG-13. Profanity consists of at least 4 "s" words, while other expletives and colorful phrases are also used. Some sexually related dialogue is present (including using the term "shag"), while a car is briefly seen rocking from sexual activity inside it. Some making out is present, as are various shots of young women in their undergarments and sports bras.

while, that might be a mild pg13, its still got pg13 content.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.