Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do you watch your DVDs the whole way through?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Do you watch your DVDs the whole way through?
Always! What, are you crazy?
56.31%
Sometimes...but it depends on the movie.
39.81%
Never! My attention span is...Hey look, a quarter!
3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The convenience of home video and DVD makes it easy to turn a movie off and get back to it later. However, I couldn't really fathom turning a favorite movie off halfway through, unless it was an emergency (or the movie was like 4 hours). I'm not talking about bathroom breaks, or even phone calls...I mean breaks of at least an hour or more. My friend, however, has no problem checking out movies in 30-45 minute increments, and will watch one movie over the course of 2-3 days. How do you guys feel about this?

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 02-25-04 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-25-04, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of the time I do... sometimes though something comes up and I have to put the rest of it off until later. I usually plan to watch the entire thing though
Old 02-25-04, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always watch a movie all the way through in one sitting. The exceptions are the few times I fall asleep midway through a DVD.
Old 02-25-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm one of those stop and go persons. I see my favorites plenty of times, sometimes I just watch the best parts. I do watch new movies a least once all the way through the first time after that its what ever I have time for.
Old 02-25-04, 10:21 AM

Watch them in one sitting or at least I try to.
Old 02-25-04, 10:24 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If its just me I take numerous breaks. If I'm watching along with someone else it runs uninterrupted (for the most part).
Old 02-25-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
A movie I try to watch all at once. I don't even like pausing, but sometimes it's necessary--but the timing of this is essential.
Then later on, couple days later [depending on schedule], I'll catch some of the extras. I like to go ahead and 'finish' a dvd before putting it back on the shelf.
TV on DVD i'll watch one or two eps at a time.
Now, if it's a movie I have actually seen before, I might watch it bits and pieces, but it also depends on the movie. I'm working my way through the Nightmare on Elm Street collection, and i did that for Part 2. [Plus it was Part 2...]
Old 02-25-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends, how many times I've seen the movie. If it's a lot I might fall asleep if it's late, but new releases I'll usually get through in one shot, especially if it was a blind buy.
Old 02-25-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes. If it's a movie I've never seen before, I watch it all the way through (unless it's REALLY bad the first couple of minutes). If it's a movie I've seen already, I'll just skip to my favorite scenes (or in the case of Phantom Menace and Pearl Harbor, just skip to the audio demo scenes).
Old 02-25-04, 11:24 AM

i usually do aye
Old 02-25-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
All or nothing - if I know I won't have enough time to watch a movie all the way through, I'll watch a few episodes of a TV show instead, or catch up on some "extras".
Old 02-25-04, 12:28 PM
Banned

Location: I'm Not a Racist buy I Have this friend who says...
I try to watch it all the way through, but sometimes I get interrupted (errand to run, bathroom break, phone call, etc).
Old 02-25-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always watch them all the way through. Even when I'm rewatching something I've already seen.

What's odd however, is that I don't do the same thing on my TiVo. I might watch a movie on the TiVo in one sitting or split it up into multiple parts. I think it took about 10 sittings to get through Kurosawa's Throne of Blood. I think it's because if I have time to watch a movie from start to finish, I'll pull out a DVD rather than watch something on the TiVo. I use the TiVo to preview things I may be interested in but want to check out first (for example I've watched a handful of Kurosawa movies and determined that I must start buying some DVDs of his movies). Plus most movies aren't OAR, so the experience is already ruined anyway. With the TiVo, it's 5 minutes here, 20 there, etc.
Old 02-25-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If ive seen it many times then I may leave it on and do stuff on the computer and listen to it (since i cant see the tv from where computer is).

If I havent seen it before then yes, of couse i'll see the whole film.
Old 02-25-04, 01:16 PM

I always watch them all the way through. Except for those dam tele-marketers calling and interupting me.
Old 02-25-04, 01:17 PM

I picked "Always" but that is not necessarily true. If I am sitting down to watch a movie I will watch it all the way through except if an emergency or something major comes up.

On occasion though I will put on a DVD when I am going to bed so chances are I will fall asleep before it finishes. I didn't think the "Sometimes" option fit that exact circumstance though. It is always my intention to watch the full DVD.
Old 02-25-04, 01:28 PM

I try and watch the movie all the way through, but sometimes i have to run to work or something and i forget about it. Most of the time i do watch the movie all the way.
Old 02-25-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll only start watching a movie if I know I'll have time to watch it all the way through, but sometimes things come up and you just got to stop it in the middle.
Old 02-25-04, 03:42 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by sataniko
I'll only start watching a movie if I know I'll have time to watch it all the way through, but sometimes things come up and you just got to stop it in the middle.
Old 02-25-04, 07:23 PM

Yes, of course I sit down and take time to enjoy what I payed for! But if I really had to go out then yeah I guess so...
Old 02-25-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes... but it depends on the quarter.
Old 02-25-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by EPKJ
I always watch a movie all the way through in one sitting. The exceptions are the few times I fall asleep midway through a DVD.
same here.
Old 02-26-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by marty888
All or nothing - if I know I won't have enough time to watch a movie all the way through, I'll watch a few episodes of a TV show instead, or catch up on some "extras".
Old 02-26-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by sataniko
Me too.
Old 02-26-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I almost always watch a mainstream movie all the way through on one sitting. Sometimes I might stop in the middle because my favorite tv show is on. The only type of movie I have problem watching in one go is adult movie. It usually take me several viewings before I can finish the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.