Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

no OLD SCHOOL 2

Old 02-24-04, 10:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no OLD SCHOOL 2

Our pals over at CHUD recently sat down with some of the people involved with STARSKY AND HUTCH to talk about the movie and some of the other projects they're working on. As fun as it was to hear from the film's stars (Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Amy Smart, Carmen Electra, and Snoop Dogg), the most interesting bit of info came from the mouth of the movie's director, Todd Phillips, as to why he won't be making OLD SCHOOL 2. The exchange is included below for your pleasure and you can click here to read the entire article and find out some bits and pieces about other upcoming projects such as THE LIFE AQUATIC, CARS, GETTING PLAYED, BLIND HORIZONS, and THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN with Jim Carrey.

Q: How about the rumors about an Old School 2?

Todd: No, we're not going to do Old School 2.

Q: Why not?

Todd: I had a little fall-out with DreamWorks over this movie Eurotrip. I felt like they really marketed it off of my two movies even though I had nothing to do with it and it looked like the worst movie ever, but somehow I got dragged into it and it made me crazy. I said, 'If you do this, I won't do Old School 2.' And they said, 'Well, this is business and we've got to worry about this movie right now.' So, I said, 'All right.'

Q: It has a really similar plot to Road Trip....

Todd: Ah, I don't want to talk about it. I didn't see it, I won't see it and it pissed me off, so I won't do business with them. It's a bummer.

Those other two movies he speaks of are, of course, OLD SCHOOL and ROAD TRIP. I love it when people in the industry don't beat around the bush and blatantly bash other films without even actually seeing them. Find out what JoBlo had to say about EUROTRIP right here.
Old 02-24-04, 10:36 PM

sorry, posted too quick. that was from joblo.com

this was also reported in varitey, but they sorta made a mention that only philiips wasn't returning. I guess they can still do OS2 without him. but if they cant get the cast back forget it.

Im not a fan of of the movies Phillips usually makes, but damn they were hilarious. I was suprised how funny Road Trip and Old school were. I can see why he doesnt want to be associated with Eurotrip, which was total crap.

oh well
Old 02-24-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I didn't really like Old School, I respect him for sticking to his guns.
Old 02-24-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I loved Old School, but I'm not to keen on seeing a sequel.
Old 02-24-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt like they really marketed it off of my two movies even though I had nothing to do with it
Eurotrip was marketed as a film "from the PRODUCERS of Road Trip and Old School" and the producers of those two films did in fact produce Eurotrip. Hell, DreamWorks could've even said "from the PRODUCERS of Evolution." While I like Todd's films (minus Starsky and Hutch), it sounds like to me that he has his head shoved up his ass. Oh well.
Old 02-24-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Eurotrip was marketed as a film "from the PRODUCERS of Road Trip and Old School" and the producers of those two films did in fact produce Eurotrip. Hell, DreamWorks could've even said "from the PRODUCERS of Evolution." While I like Todd's films (minus Starsky and Hutch), it sounds like to me that he has his head shoved up his ass. Oh well.
I thought the same thing. They said Producers... so what's the big deal?
Old 02-25-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the average movie goer sees that and they think it's from the same folks entirely that made those films. It's something the studio has the right to do since it is true, but it's a bit of a marketing trick.
Old 02-25-04, 12:10 AM
Banned

I've heard that Jack Black is in talks to star in this film also.
Old 02-25-04, 01:40 AM
Banned

they can still make old school 2, it just won't have philips involved...
Old 02-25-04, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Perhaps he's more upset that they made it look like a total sequel/follow-up to Road Trip given the title and the "producers of" nod. I thought Old School wasn't really that funny. I liked Road Trip though. Eurotrip looks funny to me and I'll probably go see it. If someone made an Old School 2, I probably wouldn't even bother seeing it for free on cable... eh.. I might in that case. *shrug*
Old 02-25-04, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can see where he's coming from. Whenever I saw the trailers for Eurotrip I never actually heard that producers part. I assumed Philips was behind it. Yeah maybe I should have done my "research" but I don't think it's unfair to think that it is misleading.
Old 02-25-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the guy who made the highly intellectual Road Trip is complaining about EuroTrip?

Sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black here. Come on.
Old 02-25-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm shocked by this... you know, he was lucky enough to have top notch producers work on Road Trip, and now he goes and bad mouths them because when promoting their new movie, they're mentioning Road Trip.. HELLO!!! Be grateful you got to make a feature in the first place... the producers of Road Trip have EVERY RIGHT to use "from the producers of road trip and old school" when promoting Eurotrip... It's just common sense.

Todd Phillips sounds extremely arrogant to me...that interview really just made me start to hate the guy (and I was a fan....) Also of note, I thought Eurotrip was hilarious. Man, this news just baffles me.

MATT
Old 02-25-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mdc3000
I'm shocked by this... you know, he was lucky enough to have top notch producers work on Road Trip, and now he goes and bad mouths them because when promoting their new movie, they're mentioning Road Trip.. HELLO!!! Be grateful you got to make a feature in the first place... the producers of Road Trip have EVERY RIGHT to use "from the producers of road trip and old school" when promoting Eurotrip... It's just common sense.
Actually, I've seen cases where studios have gotten into trouble for doing this and have had to change their marketing tag-lines because of it. Personally, I feel that referencing a writer, actor or director is appropriate, but a producer is ridiculous.
Old 02-25-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can see where he's coming from. Whenever I saw the trailers for Eurotrip I never actually heard that producers part. I assumed Philips was behind it. Yeah maybe I should have done my "research" but I don't think it's unfair to think that it is misleading.
Then again, do you think the average movie goer even recognizes Phillips' name?
Old 02-25-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can understand why he is upset, for two reasons.

(1) I thought EuroTrip was a sequel to Road Trip - and I loved Road Trip.

(2) The ad does say from "The Producers" and the general person believes that means its from the people who wrote the previous movie's.

Still, I don't see the big deal in this article. That could be because I don't think Old School needs a sequel.
Old 02-25-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
Then again, do you think the average movie goer even recognizes Phillips' name?
The Starsky and Hutch ads I've been seeing all have his name featured pretty prominently.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 02-25-04 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-25-04, 12:47 PM

He's quickly becoming a "name" director due to his (much deserved) successes.

STARSKY will only add to that.
Old 02-25-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Peep
, I feel that referencing a writer, actor or director is appropriate, but a producer is ridiculous.
Why is referencing a producer ridiculous??? When you go see a Jerry Bruckheimer film, you know exactly what you are going to get, because JB produced it. Producers have a lot of creative control (the only person on set who can FIRE the director is the PRODUCER). Producers are involved at the scripting stage and really can shape how a project comes together.... there are many producers whose name speaks volumes about the quality of the movie.....

MATT

keep in mind who receives the Oscar for best picture.... there is a big reason the producer collects that statue.
Old 02-25-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone tell me why they made Eurotrip and not Old School 2.
Old 02-25-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Makes sense to me. I always see ads trying to play on the fact it's from the producers of so-and-so. It seems like a sort of scam. I mean it's perfectly legit, but I suspect they do it hoping to trick people into thinking it be like other popular movies.

I can see why Todd Phillips wouldn't like this
Old 02-25-04, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by raven56706
Someone tell me why they made Eurotrip and not Old School 2.
OLD SCHOOL 2 would not be cheap to make anymore.

EUROTRIP has the same vibe, and can be made for pennies.

Of course, this logic stood before nobody showed up to see EURO TRIP this past weekend...
Old 02-26-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
OLD SCHOOL 2 would not be cheap to make anymore.

EUROTRIP has the same vibe, and can be made for pennies.

Of course, this logic stood before nobody showed up to see EURO TRIP this past weekend...
Old School 2 would not be 'cheap' but would bank at the BO.

Eurotrip has nothing close to the vibe that Old School has. As the BO has shown.
Old 02-26-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

exactly........

Old School 2 would bank......Eurottrip just looked like crap
Old 02-26-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by raven56706
exactly........

Old School 2 would bank......Eurottrip just looked like crap
Just give you a little info... Eurotrip was crap (alot of boobies though). Maybe a rental if they release an unrated version of it on DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.