Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince tour dates / news / discussion

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince tour dates / news / discussion

Old 02-24-04, 08:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prince tour dates

from rollingstone.com

too bad hes not playing small venues. he would rock the el rey like non other. Guess he needs some money.

rince announced plans for an upcoming tour as well as news of his forthcoming Musicology album before a group of 400 fan club members and press corps at Los Angeles' El Rey Theater today.
Prince said the notion behind the new album is that people should be aware that "the music comes before the 'ology.' God comes first with everything I do, but when it comes to our business we try to let the music dictate what comes next."

Though Musicology is complete, the record does not yet have a release date, primarily because Prince doesn't yet have a label. Despite rumors that he'd re-signed with Warner Bros. (the label that prompted Prince to publicly deem himself an artistic slave), Prince announced that he would be asking all of the major labels to release the album at once. "I might be a little crazy," he said, "but the notion is that everyone should get a piece of the pie."

As for the tour, it begins at the Staples Center in L.A. on March 29th, exactly two weeks after he's inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York. "I'm not much for awards," he said, "but an honor is just that and I appreciate when anybody shows respect."

Twenty-six dates have been confirmed for the tour, but Prince promised, "We're going to go around the world and back." He will also headline the Essence Festival July 2nd and he will also participate in Tiger Woods' annual Tiger Jam charity event, which is usually held in Las Vegas, Memorial Day weekend.

The tour will mark his first in six years with New Power Generation as his backing band. A press release suggested that the shows would mark the last time Prince would play some of his best-known hits, but he clarified, "We'll be performing them in a big way for the last time, at least for a while, to allow room for new music."

Prince and the NPG performed a mini-set during the hour-long press conference, retooling such memorable tracks as "Kiss," "Sign 'O' the Times," and "Take Me With U." He said one of the goals of the tour was "to bring back music and live musicianship."

Prince tour dates:

3/29: Los Angeles, Staples Center
3/31: Phoenix, Glendale Arena
4/2: Dallas, American Airlines Center
4/6: Oklahoma City, Ford Center
4/7: Omaha, NE, Qwest Center
4/8: Ames, IA, Hilton Coliseum
4/10: Champaign, IL, Assembly Hall
4/12: Indianapolis, Conseco Fieldhouse
4/13: Cincinnati, U.S Bank Arena
4/14: Pittsburgh, Mellon Arena
4/16: Columbus, OH, Value City Arena/Schottenstein Center
4/17: Cleveland, Gund Arena
4/18: State College, PA, Bryce Jordan Center
4/21: Columbia, SC, Colonial Center
4/22: Knoxville, TN, Thompson-Boling Arena
4/23: Raleigh, NC, RBC Center
4/25: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Office Depot Center
4/26: Tampa, FL, St. Pete Times Forum
4/27: Jacksonville, FL, Veterans Memorial Arena
4/29: Birmingham, AL, BJCC Coliseum
4/30: Atlanta, Philips Arena
5/1: Biloxi, MI, Mississippi Coast Coliseum
5/4: Kansas City, MO, Kemper Arena
5/5: St. Louis , MO, Savvis Center
5/6: Nashville, TN, Gaylord Entertainment Center
6/12: Bossier City, LA, CenturyTel Center
Old 02-24-04, 08:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
God, The Staples Center is such a piece of crap. I hate going there, but for Prince, I'll probably do it.
Old 02-24-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bet it ain't going cheap.
Old 02-24-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Prince tour dates

Originally posted by whynotsmile
Prince announced that he would be asking all of the major labels to release the album at once. "I might be a little crazy," he said, "but the notion is that everyone should get a piece of the pie."
How the hell would this work?

I've never seen him live, so I may actually shell out the $$$ for this.
Old 02-24-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Not only that, but this'll be the "last" time you'll hear the hits.

Here's the "official" press release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRINCE "MUSICOLOGY' TOUR HITS UNITED STATES -- "SCHOOL'S IN"

PRINCE CELEBRATES 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF "PURPLE RAIN" WITH NEW CD "MUSICOLOGY" AND CONCERT TOUR PER4MING SOME OF HIS MOST WELL KNOWN HITS 4 THE LAST TIME

Los Angeles, CA-February 24, 2004---For the first time in six years, pop star Prince and the New Power Generation band are embarking on a coast-to-coast concert tour of the United States. These concerts will feature Prince per4ming some of his most well known hits live 4 the last time.

The tour comes on the heels of Prince's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and his heart-stopping Grammy opening performance with multiple-award-winner Beyonce. The launch of the tour also coincides with the release of Prince's new CD, "Musicology."

Prince has sold more than 100 million records and is regarded by fans and critics alike as a monumental force and influence in popular culture. During the '80s, Prince emerged as one of the most singular talents in the history of music, releasing a series of groundbreaking albums that both defined and captured the spirit of the times. With each successive album, Prince has shown remarkable stylistic growth and musical diversity, constantly experimenting with different sounds, topics and genres. Few artists have created a body of work as rich and varied.

The tour launches in Los Angeles on March 29th and continues throughout the spring and summer, hitting more than 38 of cities. The concert will be set up in the round, with a center stage, allowing for many more great seats in each venue. Tickets and information are available on Prince's web site at www.npgmc.com and Ticketmaster and Tickets.com.

Each show will be one long dance party with Prince supplying the music! The production lives within the players themselves...no gimmicks, no pre-recorded music and no prisoners taken! Performing with Prince are New Power Generation band members John Blackwell (drums), Greg Boyer (trombone), Candy Dulfer (saxophone), Chance Howard (trumpet), Renato Neto (piano and
synthesizers), Maceo Parker (saxophone), RAD. (vocals and keyboards), and Rhonda Smith (bass).

The concert itinerary with additional dates TBA:
All dates subject to change

March 29 Los Angeles Staples Center
March 31 Phoenix Glendale Arena
April 2 Dallas American Airlines Center
April 6 Oklahoma City Ford Center
April 7 Omaha Qwest Center
April 8 Ames Hilton Coliseum
April 10 Champaign Assembly Hall
April 12 Indianapolis Conseco Fieldhouse
April 13 Cincinnati U.S Bank Arena
April 14 Pittsburgh Mellon Arena
April 16 Columbus Value City Arena,Schottenstein Center
April 17 Cleveland Gund Arena
April 18 State College Bryce Jordan Center
April 21 Columbia Colonial Center
April 22 Knoxville Thompson-Boling Arena
April 23 Raleigh RBC Center
April 25 Ft. Lauderdale Office Depot Center
April 26 Tampa St. Pete Times Forum
April 27 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena
April 29 Birmingham BJCC Coliseum
April 30 Atlanta Philips Arena
May 1 Biloxi Mississippi Coast Coliseum
May 4 Kansas City Kemper Arena
May 5 St. Louis Savvis Center
May 6 Nashville Gaylord Entertainment Center
June 12 Bossier City CenturyTel Center

Other cities slated for the tour include:

Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Houston
Las Vegas
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
New York City
Philadelphia
Portland
San Francisco
Seattle
Old 02-24-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by DJLinus
How the hell would this work?

I've never seen him live, so I may actually shell out the $$$ for this.
As much as I detest his treatment of fans and his business sense [or lack of], his live shows are fantastic.

Unless you catch him on a day he feels like preaching. But, since he's attempting to be "popular" again, i'm hoping there won't be too much of this with this tour.
Old 02-25-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
his live shows are fantastic.
Unless you catch him on a day he feels like preaching. But, since he's attempting to be "popular" again, i'm hoping there won't be too much of this with this tour.
He will be playing here on April 23rd and since I have never seen him live I would like to go, however I fear your quote will be what happens. As you said since he is trying to get back in the mainstream maybe he will not sermonize, but I cannot get Kevin Smith's story of meeting him out of my head
Old 02-25-04, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I saw him live in Columbus a couple years ago, and was disappointed at how few complete songs he played. Same thing happened with the One Night Alone CD set. A little taste of Starfish & Coffee, then on to something else.

I don't need Purple Rain, but if he's going to play a song, then play it dammit!!

Couple this with the likely high ticket prices, and I probably won't go.
Old 02-25-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depending on how expensive tickets are I might try to check himout in either Columbia or Raleigh.
Old 02-25-04, 08:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Other cities slated for the tour include:

Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Houston
Las Vegas
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
New York City
Philadelphia
Portland
San Francisco
Seattle
hmm, guess DC/Baltimore gets royaly screwed over.
Old 02-25-04, 08:39 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Saw him in Boston about 5 or 6 years ago, and it was one of the best shows I ever saw.

I will be there for certain when he announces boston later.

Giles you should come up to boston for the show.

We have similar tastes in a lot of stuff
Old 02-25-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bralph
I saw him live in Columbus a couple years ago, and was disappointed at how few complete songs he played. Same thing happened with the One Night Alone CD set. A little taste of Starfish & Coffee, then on to something else.

I don't need Purple Rain, but if he's going to play a song, then play it dammit!!

Couple this with the likely high ticket prices, and I probably won't go.

Same deal here ... saw a theater show about 3-4 years ago and all he did was play snips of hits.... once I started to get into the song it would segway into another song...UGH...it was like someone skipping around a CD....play the damn song.

Bitching aside...he is a very good live performer just very dissapointed in how he runs his concert.
Old 02-25-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
hmm, guess DC/Baltimore gets royaly screwed over.
Not to mention Cana-duh.
Old 02-25-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Scored two front-row on the floor tickets to the Oklahoma City show last weekend. Officially, they were $75 each, but after all of the fees and surcharges, the total came out to around $171 or so. This was through Tickets.com--we don't have Ticketmaster here, so I have no idea what the tickets are going for in other cities, but I'd imagine they're right around the $75 mark.
Old 02-26-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Thinking of getting Prince tickets, but need advice..

Has anyone seen the more recent tour and or shows of Prince? He is coming to my area and I would like to attend as it is being advertised as him playing his old hits. However, the PR statement from Prince claims it is his old hits in a "new style."

This kind of makes the caution lights come up as I know Prince can take a classic and more or less make it sound unrecognizable with a "new" style. Anyone here got advice or warnings?
Old 02-26-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Advice?

Just go with the flow. As long as it didn't say his old hits in a "new, religious style" you're pretty much guaranteed a good show.

The only warning I could possibly give is that he might not play some songs in their entirety.
Old 02-26-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD, I know on his last tour he had something called the 'circle of purple" (or something like that). They were the closest seats to the stage and at they face valued at $275 in Portland, OR.

I have no problem with Elton/Joel, the Eagles, or McCartney charging $150 a ticket, but ~$300 for Prince?
Old 02-26-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
The ad just said "new style", and if the version he did of Purple Rain on the grammys is an indication, I am really skeptical.
Old 02-26-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Having seen Prince 3 times already (1988,1996,2001) all I can say is GO......
Old 02-26-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
scored 2 lower level seats for the Columbia, SC show thru Ticketmaster today. lower Bowl is $75, upper bowl $45.
Old 02-26-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Last time I saw Prince, I paid $75 to sit behind a speaker stack and could only see half the stage, which is inexcusable. I will not make the same mistake again.
Old 02-26-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only warning I could possibly give is that he might not play some songs in their entirety.

Well, past tours would say ' most ' songs not in their entirety ... and songs that were played the whole way through were ones I did not want to hear anyways.
Old 02-27-04, 04:29 AM
Banned by request

NPG Club members presale for LA goes up tomorrow. I decided to get a ticket, even if it is at the shitty Staples Center. I figure, might as well go and deal with the Staples Center and then get to go to the afterparty instead of not going at all. Plus on his website they said members tickets are best possible seats, so I'm hoping the seats might actually be as worthwhile as advertised. Hell, tickets to his shows are half the reason you join the NPG Club, anyway.

As for playing only snippets of songs, I think it's all part of the jam type atmosphere he gets going at his shows, so I don't really have a problem with it. As for the new style, judging from recent live videos I've seen, some of the changes can be radical, but they're almost always worth hearing.
Old 02-27-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

the stage is set up "in the round' - similar to the Lovesexy tour.

and, tickets [when he decides to tour] are the only reason to join the NPGMC.
Old 02-27-04, 02:35 PM
Banned by request

and, tickets [when he decides to tour] are the only reason to join the NPGMC.
Well, I must say, at the moment, not even those are a reason. I have spent the past 40 minutes trying to buy these damn presale tickets, to absolutely no avail. I keep getting one step further, and then the website won't connect. I go back a page and keep doing it, over and over. I'm sure I'll be doing this until the day of the actual concert.

Update: An hour after the tickets went on sale I finally got through. What a crock. You'd think Prince would have better quality control. These tickets had better be amazing, because the Staples center is already a shitty venue, and I didn't just spend an hour trying to buy tickets to sit in nosebleed seats.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-27-04 at 04:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.