Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Game Over for ABC's 'Mole'

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=6424

Friday, February 20, 2004 - 8:01 AM

Game Over for ABC's 'Mole'
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- In a surprising development, ABC has opted not to renew its "Mole" franchise for a fifth season. Producer Stone Stanley Entertainment confirmed this week the Alphabet has let its option for a new installment of the series expire and are currently shopping the program to other broadcast networks.

While its overall viewership numbers are down more than 25% from last season, "Celebrity Mole" remains a solid draw in adults 18-34 for the network, building on ABC's Wednesday, 10:00/9:00c time slot average from last season by 43% in the key demographic. More importantly, "Mole" actually tied time slot rival "Law & Order's" average in adults 18-34 over the course of its seven-week run in said demographic.

Clay Newbill, Scott A. Stone and David G. Stanley are the executive producers of the series.

These last 2 were mindless entertainment, but I will really miss the first 2, which were among the best years of reality tv.

Chris
Old 02-24-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only wanted to see it come back again if they were able to get Anderson Cooper back and lose the "celebrity"

I loved the first two seasons. I couldn't stand the two Celebrity Mole seasons.
Old 02-24-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That sucks. As much as I dislike the current reality tv trend, I got sucked into the last 3 or 4 episodes of The Mole 2, thought it was much more interesting from a gameplay perspective than any other reality tv I had seen. I felt I had missed out by not seeing the whole season, and have been waiting to see a new season so I could watch at least one season of The Mole from the start. Of course, I passed on the two celebrity editions because I was waiting for the next 'real' version that was promised.
Old 02-24-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoy the original and the celebrity, although it was just because I liked Baldwin and Corbin..

I'll miss the show.. ALthough I never, followed it, just would watch when they put do the marathons, that's the way to watch those shows, all at one time.
Old 02-24-04, 05:35 PM

Someone posted somewhere, that the Game Show Network (?) is going to be showing the original Mole's either late spring or summertime 2004.

If that's the case, I will Tivo all of them, to relive the good old days!

Chris
Old 02-24-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe all of them are being played on March 16th. 9pm Central time (starting with Hawaii, I believe). I could be wrong. You can do a search for it on here if you want...

Sucks to see it go. Hopefully some other network picks it up.
Old 02-24-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This show is one of the smartest reality show around. And it gets good rating. Don't understand why ABC is not nurturing the show a little better.
Old 02-24-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH
I only wanted to see it come back again if they were able to get Anderson Cooper back and lose the "celebrity"

I loved the first two seasons. I couldn't stand the two Celebrity Mole seasons.
Exactly. I didn't even bother watching the celebrity versions. Anderson was the shit as the host.
Old 02-24-04, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by ProjectMayhem
I believe all of them are being played on March 16th. 9pm Central time (starting with Hawaii, I believe). I could be wrong. You can do a search for it on here if you want...

Sucks to see it go. Hopefully some other network picks it up.
Thanx for the heads up. Tivo won't have listings up for that date for another week, but I will let everyone know if it shows up.

Chris
Old 02-24-04, 09:22 PM

I only saw the second season and enjoyed a lot... When they brought the "celebrities" in I didn't want to give it the time of day. It sucks that they will not be renewing it as I was hoping they would just bring back the normal people.
Old 02-24-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was really surprised to see Anderson Cooper hosting this, 'cause I remember when he was on that ABC news show at 2 in the morning with that girl from MTV News.
Old 02-24-04, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by LBCrazyFool
I only saw the second season and enjoyed a lot... When they brought the "celebrities" in I didn't want to give it the time of day. It sucks that they will not be renewing it as I was hoping they would just bring back the normal people.

I believe that the ratings were higher for the 'celebrity' version, because the regular viewing public would rather see celebrities making fools of themselves rather than seeing regular people playing an interesting game, that is 'The Mole'!

Chris
Old 02-25-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Exactly. I didn't even bother watching the celebrity versions. Anderson was the shit as the host.
Same here. I think I watched half of an episode with the "celebs" and deemed it crap. Too bad ABC had to do away with the original Mole
Old 02-25-04, 12:36 AM

I loved the first two seasons. I couldn't stand the two Celebrity Mole seasons
What he said.
Old 02-25-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Celebrity Mole Hawaii was the best
Old 02-25-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Anderson was the shit as the host.
'nuff said.

Celebrity Mole can suck my a**.
Old 02-25-04, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Agree with everyone who said the celebs sucked and Anderson was the shit.

Maybe someone like CBS will pick it up
Old 02-25-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I can't say I'm surprised by this cause it was obvious that it wasn't keeping it's own with the has been celeb crap.
Old 02-25-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It was one of my favorite reality shows, too. It was always fun trying to figure out the mole's identity -- I usually didn't catch on to those silly cryptic clues they reveal in the final episode.

ABC didn't have much confidence with the show when they were doing the non-celebrity version. I remember with Mole 2, they aired a few episodes, then pulled the plug, claiming something or another about a better timeslot or re-tooling (or something along those lines). Then the show re-appeared several months later, starting back with the first episode.
Old 02-26-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
ABC didn't have much confidence with the show when they were doing the non-celebrity version. I remember with Mole 2, they aired a few episodes, then pulled the plug, claiming something or another about a better timeslot or re-tooling (or something along those lines). Then the show re-appeared several months later, starting back with the first episode.
Yeah, and it came back to good ratings, too! Not a blockbuster, but the ratings for Mole 2 were very solid and respectable, especially in the key demographics.
Old 02-26-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original Mole was better, but I enjoyed the Celeb versions too, miles away the best "reality" show ever... it was the perfect mix of reality, game show and a "who done it" mystery... and the games were fun and not stupid stuff like eating cow guts and bugs.

VERY sad that ABC is ending it... I hope another channel picks it up.

Celeb Mole #1 comes out on DVD in March!!! Everyone go buy it to support the Mole!
Old 02-26-04, 10:00 PM

*sniff*

No!!!!!

I liked both versions a lot. I want my Mole! To quote Bill Murray in Stripes....

"And then.....depression set in."