Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cowboy Bebop question; "You're gonna carry that wieght"?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe not the right forum but this seemed to be a good place.

If there is anyone out there that is more knowledgable about the series Cowboy Bebop then I'd like to ask a question. At the end of the series
Spoiler:
Spike and Vicious have a climactic final battle, where Spike finally kills Vicious and then collapsed outside the Red Dragon's main building. But after the credits instead of "See you space cowboy" as you usually see, you see the phrase "You're gonna carry that wieght...". I can see how this refers to Spike, meaning his past was always carried with him no matter what. But what I'd like to know is, knowing how huge they were, and enormously influential in terms of bringing western culture to Japan especially, if this some sort of nod that director Shinchiro Wantanabe made to the Beatles. Wantanabe has said he's been heavily influenced by western culture so it might not be that far fetched. It's a stupid question I know but if anyone has an answer I'd appreciate it if you'd pass it along

Thanks

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 02-23-04 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the band mattered, just the appropriate quote at the end. There's a different line at the end of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" that is a different performer than they've used before, just because the quote fit. And the series give a big nod to a lot of Western groups like the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Herbie Hancock and even Rodgers and Hart. But you're spot on (IMHO) about the reasons - within the plot - of why that particular quote is used.